Thread: Taking Pictures indoor Eg: Wedding dinner

Default Taking Pictures indoor Eg: Wedding dinner

Hi! 2 all photographers,

I m new in photography, jus pick up tis interesting hobby, it really need time and effort to go into tis hobby, i m using canon powershot s5. there are some questions,i really need u guys 4 advice & guidance.

Recently,my friend jus gt married,i jus bring my camera 4 fun shooting,then i tried shooting with flash light which built in the camera,the image turn up to be the subject is bright bt the background is dark,i turn off the flash,the picture turn up to be totally dark.

jus wan to know how to get the image to turn out the colour and the brightness is clear. for example,tuned the shutter,aperture or ISO etc,or use ext flash like professional.

Thks..

Default Re: Taking Pictures indoor Eg: Wedding dinner

Quote Originally Posted by chipchip View Post
    Hi! 2 all photographers,

I m new in photography, jus pick up tis interesting hobby, it really need time and effort to go into tis hobby, i m using canon powershot s5. there are some questions,i really need u guys 4 advice & guidance.

Recently,my friend jus gt married,i jus bring my camera 4 fun shooting,then i tried shooting with flash light which built in the camera,the image turn up to be the subject is bright bt the background is dark,i turn off the flash,the picture turn up to be totally dark.

jus wan to know how to get the image to turn out the colour and the brightness is clear. for example,tuned the shutter,aperture or ISO etc,or use ext flash like professional.

Thks..
    on prosumer camera, iso is not something we normally wanna play with. but in tis case, you have to... try using iso 400 and above to allow the background to light up... then flash as fill in to light up the subject. Timing could be from 1/4-1/30, depending on the lighting condition.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Bounce the light off walls/ceiling or use a bounce card if you are using an external flash
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Try a powerful slave flash like Nikon flash. Bounce off the flash to the ceiling.

See my sample shots of A70 + slave flash indoor shots. Click here to see my A70 setup.

The disadvantage of slave flash is if someone next to you also use flash, it will also trigger your slave flash.
    Last edited by megaweb; 9th January 2008 at 09:38 AM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Not easy to achieve on a prosumer camera.

What you'd need to do is to expose the BG to at least 1-2 stop below the flash exposure to maintain a almost similar exposure for both the subject and background. What most of us would do is to use a higher ISO setting coupled with a large aperture and the external flash should be set to negative EV (settings will differ accoridng to situation and lighting conditions)

This will bring the lighting on the subjects to just slightly above the BG conditions.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site