Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Chee Guan Chiang House

  1. #1

    Default Chee Guan Chiang House

    Anyone knows the history of this house near Orchard Road? Am interested to find out more

  2. #2

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    Chee Guan Chiang House 25, Grange Road

    The bungalow is dilapidated, the site is shrouded by trees and looks nondescript. Oh, and it is worth a whopping $425 million.

    This is because the site is ultra-prime - at the corner of Grange and Devonshire Roads, opposite the Youth Park.

    That location and a plot ratio of 2.8 means about 10 to 13 blocks of up to 36 storeys can be built on the 100,000-sq-ft site. The new apartments could be sold for $1,600 to $1,800 psf, say property consultants.

    While it occupies a land area equivalent to about 71/2 Olympic-size pools, thick foliage obscures the site from view so few passers-by take much notice of it.

    The house was so called because it was built by Mr Chee Guan Chiang, eldest son of late Malacca-born tycoon, Chee Swee Cheng, the first chairman of the OCBC group.

    It was designed in the 1930s by well-known Singapore architect Ho Kwong Yew, who also designed the original Haw Par Villa, which was destroyed during World War II.

    http://realty-united.blogspot.com/20...imah-road.html

    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...n+Chiang+House

    Looks like a potential location to do a horror, gothic or nude shoot. http://www.pbase.com/synapseman/chee_guan_chiang_3
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 7th January 2008 at 02:45 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    can like tat walk in meh?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    "Machine Gun House"?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Chee Guan Chiang House 25, Grange Road

    The bungalow is dilapidated, the site is shrouded by trees and looks nondescript. Oh, and it is worth a whopping $425 million.

    This is because the site is ultra-prime - at the corner of Grange and Devonshire Roads, opposite the Youth Park.

    That location and a plot ratio of 2.8 means about 10 to 13 blocks of up to 36 storeys can be built on the 100,000-sq-ft site. The new apartments could be sold for $1,600 to $1,800 psf, say property consultants.

    While it occupies a land area equivalent to about 71/2 Olympic-size pools, thick foliage obscures the site from view so few passers-by take much notice of it.

    The house was so called because it was built by Mr Chee Guan Chiang, eldest son of late Malacca-born tycoon, Chee Swee Cheng, the first chairman of the OCBC group.

    It was designed in the 1930s by well-known Singapore architect Ho Kwong Yew, who also designed the original Haw Par Villa, which was destroyed during World War II.

    http://realty-united.blogspot.com/20...imah-road.html

    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...n+Chiang+House

    Looks like a potential location to do a horror, gothic or nude shoot. http://www.pbase.com/synapseman/chee_guan_chiang_3
    Thanks! Very informative. Am doing some family history research at the moment. Volunteering to update the family tree CSC is my great grandfather while CGC is my grandfather

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    It's along Grange Road, yes. The last time I went there, the gates were wide open. However, the house itself is locked up. The lawn is quite well tended, meaning that someone still owns the place and maintenence people come by regularly. Surrounded by condos also.

    So not a good place for nudes, lah.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  7. #7

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    It's along Grange Road, yes. The last time I went there, the gates were wide open. However, the house itself is locked up. The lawn is quite well tended, meaning that someone still owns the place and maintenence people come by regularly. Surrounded by condos also.

    So not a good place for nudes, lah.
    nude... wonder wat TS will think when he knows about it...

  8. #8
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    Nevertheless it's a good example of Modern architecture of the 1930s, and must be conserved, together with the little white house.

    The land it sits on is like worth millions. Wonder who's the owner now.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SengKang
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    "Machine Gun House"?
    i cant stop laughing when i saw this..

  10. #10
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    $425m

    put in bank (for those who dont take risk)

    1% interest = $4.25m/year.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    3,530

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    Thanks! Very informative. Am doing some family history research at the moment. Volunteering to update the family tree CSC is my great grandfather while CGC is my grandfather
    now i know why u are so rich .... need god son ?

  12. #12
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    What's CGC's name in chinese?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    Quote Originally Posted by S11loop View Post
    now i know why u are so rich .... need god son ?
    hmmmm...

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Nevertheless it's a good example of Modern architecture of the 1930s, and must be conserved, together with the little white house.

    The land it sits on is like worth millions. Wonder who's the owner now.
    You never know.
    Ever heard of filthy poor people living on the streets/1 room hdb actually owning house that sit on millions but not wanting to sell it away?

  15. #15
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Chee Guan Chiang House

    Quote Originally Posted by dotaboy View Post
    You never know.
    Ever heard of filthy poor people living on the streets/1 room hdb actually owning house that sit on millions but not wanting to sell it away?
    I'm afraid CGC House's land might be acquired by govt in the future

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •