Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 155

Thread: a 'good' tripod

  1. #101

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    CF is 6x stronger than steel for the same weight. So if it's 6x lighter, then it's only just as strong..
    ZHEN DE MAH?

  2. #102

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    ZHEN DE MAH?
    I guess so.. That's how they always put it in the ads.. I'm not too sure about the 6x figure though.. Was it for kevlar?

    This site says CF is 8x stronger than steel and 23.5x stronger than magnesium alloy... I'm no mechanical engineer.
    http://hareshsnarang.tripod.com/acer_laptop_ferrari.htm

    Thanks to an impressive strength-to-mass ratio of Carbon fibre, it provides eight times greater tensile strength and 1.1 times stiffer tensile modulus than steel, lighter than magnesium alloy, yet 23.5 times stronger- the result is amazing structural properties.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 15th February 2008 at 03:35 PM.

  3. #103
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Yes that's what I mean. It'll disintegrate overtime, more because of the epoxy. If scratched , CF can break very easily.Ti is tough but not stiff. Very good for cyclist who wants comfort because it flex and absorb minor vibration.
    Carbon disintegrate over time???
    Titanium is tough but not stiff???

    Don't know where you got your info but what you have stated is utter rubbish. As to titanium, your comparisons with Ti bikes isn't valid because bikes can be designed to give a stiffer or more pliant ride by frame geometry, tube thickness and grade of titanium. I should know because I have bought and owned many carbon and titanium road and mountain bikes.

  4. #104
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    please lah...pro like you wont use such tripods one lah!
    I where got pro.... I dun even have a tripod.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  5. #105
    Senior Member asterixsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in this creation
    Posts
    2,060

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    btw guys, what's the diff between a 3section tripod vs a 4 section one?

    friend told me 1540 is shorter when not in use, so ideal for travelling.
    but for weight limits and stability, will one matter over the other?
    i had posted a similar question long time back, and gathered a few responses...

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280878
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

  6. #106

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    i had posted a similar question long time back, and gathered a few responses...

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280878
    More compact when fully retracted at the expense of firmness when fully extended. What I usually do when extending tripod is pull the legs out all the way and then retract back about 1" before locking for less play.

  7. #107

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    my RRS ballhead came yesterday together with my lens plate and D3 L bracket.

    really love the finishing and the looks of it.

    + shipping and GST, comes to about $1050.

    my friend helped me matched it with a gitzo GT1540.

    this really looks like a good kit for travelling.

    my 190b manfrotto will be exiled for good.

    hi jeanie,
    that is a interesting combi.
    i recently added G1158 and added M10 to it.
    but i found the tripod combi top heavy.
    can i know tripod head you got from RRS?
    metal, glasses, plastic and a eye to see

  8. #108

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Carbon disintegrate over time???
    Titanium is tough but not stiff???

    Don't know where you got your info but what you have stated is utter rubbish. As to titanium, your comparisons with Ti bikes isn't valid because bikes can be designed to give a stiffer or more pliant ride by frame geometry, tube thickness and grade of titanium. I should know because I have bought and owned many carbon and titanium road and mountain bikes.
    i'l be really worried if CF disintegrate over time as my car has some CF parts...

  9. #109

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I where got pro.... I dun even have a tripod.
    you want my manfrotto with ballhead?
    it comes with the manfrotto strap too.

    let me know.sell you cheap lah!

    dont ask for J sponsorship hor!

  10. #110

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    i had posted a similar question long time back, and gathered a few responses...

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280878
    thanks asterisk!

  11. #111

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    More compact when fully retracted at the expense of firmness when fully extended. What I usually do when extending tripod is pull the legs out all the way and then retract back about 1" before locking for less play.
    oh damn!
    means the 3 section when fully extended will be more stable than 4 sections?

    aiya......

  12. #112

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by foxguy View Post
    hi jeanie,
    that is a interesting combi.
    i recently added G1158 and added M10 to it.
    but i found the tripod combi top heavy.
    can i know tripod head you got from RRS?
    BH40 pro II
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/02.html

    what's M10?

  13. #113
    Senior Member asterixsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in this creation
    Posts
    2,060

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    oh damn!
    means the 3 section when fully extended will be more stable than 4 sections?

    aiya......

    ha ha. i have a 3 section tripod and i keep wishing i should've got a 4 section like what my friend has. a 4 section tripod is more compact and better for travelling. i've tried my friend's 4 section tripod and in my amateurish opinion, i didn't feel any difference. maybe those guys who carry a 600mm bazooka lens 'might' face problems on a 4 section tripod.

    don't worry. you made the right choice.

    ps : btw its asterix, not asterisk. the latter is '*', whereas the former is the most intelligent Gaul that has ever lived
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

  14. #114
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    Markins M10

    Ryan

  15. #115

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    The Markins M10 and M20 are widely considered to be one of the best ballheads around. For a Gimbal type mount, take a look at Manfrottos offerings, or go for the Wimberley.

    Wimberley offers two types, the self named Wimberley head to be mounted directly onto the tripod: http://www.tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm



    and The Sidekick, to be mounted in a ballhead: http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm




  16. #116

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i'l be really worried if CF disintegrate over time as my car has some CF parts...
    Carbon fibre is an organic material and will disintegrate over time if exposed to the right corrosive elements. However, it is unlikely to happen in the life time of your car.
    Strength and durability are two different things, strong does not mean long lasting.

    congratulations to the ballhead
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

  17. #117

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    ha ha. i have a 3 section tripod and i keep wishing i should've got a 4 section like what my friend has. a 4 section tripod is more compact and better for travelling. i've tried my friend's 4 section tripod and in my amateurish opinion, i didn't feel any difference. maybe those guys who carry a 600mm bazooka lens 'might' face problems on a 4 section tripod.

    don't worry. you made the right choice.

    ps : btw its asterix, not asterisk. the latter is '*', whereas the former is the most intelligent Gaul that has ever lived
    sorry in getting your nick wrong

  18. #118

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    guys, i need help.
    when i screw the ballhead to the gitzo, seems like no matter how hard i screw it, a little effort is all it takes to get it come loose again.i noticed when i screw it harder, there seems to be a 'rubbery' effect that prevents you from over tightening the ballhead to the tripod.

    i'm afraid if i do alot of panning on the balhead, one fine day the entire ballhead+dlsr+lens will fall off the gitzo!

    how do i secure it to the gitzo?i know they advise to remove the ballhead and keep it in the pouch when travelling but you know i'm too lazy to do that.and i dont see photogs travelling with ball head and tripod separate!do you guys really do that?

  19. #119

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    i love the wimberly head.
    if i ever own a 500 or 600mm, it will definitely be in my to-buy list.

    but i've seen this thing in real life....it's HUGE!

  20. #120
    Senior Member benny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Re: a 'good' tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    how do i secure it to the gitzo?i know they advise to remove the ballhead and keep it in the pouch when travelling but you know i'm too lazy to do that.and i dont see photogs travelling with ball head and tripod separate!do you guys really do that?
    Yes I do. The ball head comes off and I put it in a lens case and chuck it inside the check in luggage. The tripod is then packed into it's own case and checked in inside the check in luggage too. Less load to carry for a more comfortable journey.

    Cheers,

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •