Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Advise needed

  1. #1

    Default Advise needed

    Hi, i am a newbie here.
    will be going to get a canon D40 soon.
    was wondering which kit should i get?
    I will be doing alot of macro shots and i was wondering wat lens to buy?
    i was also at a wide angle lens as well.
    do provide me with some info
    appreciated

  2. #2
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by hamster-link View Post
    Hi, i am a newbie here.
    will be going to get a canon D40 soon.
    was wondering which kit should i get?
    I will be doing alot of macro shots and i was wondering wat lens to buy?
    i was also at a wide angle lens as well.
    do provide me with some info
    appreciated
    Very little info to get help.....
    Info like what is your budget? any lens in mind

    Shooting lots of Macro, then should invest on a macro lens.
    Tamron 90mm is a good start, more budget get Cannon 100mm.
    No budget problem get Cannon 180mmL.

    Need a wide angle lens, then get a wide angle lens.
    Toknia 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 seem ok to me (i'm considering either one now )
    Same here, no budget problem get Cannon lens.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Advise needed

    get the kit lens and start from there. your preferences might change so confirm what you want to shoot before you invest in other lenses.

  4. #4
    Member unseenshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marine Parade, Singapore
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Suggest either the 18-55mm IS or 17-85mm IS USM to start with your 40D (not D40), as a kit lens/general walkaround. Good image quality from both lenses and good focal length coverage for a beginner.
    I shoot film.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
    i was shopping around and i got to a shop in lucky plaza selling 40D for $1555 with the basic kit and without warrenty.
    its is so cheap tat i nearly bought tat, but i suspect something is amiss.
    any impt qnes to ask the assistant b4 buying?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Canon 10-22mm $790, 100mm f2.8 macro $1030
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  7. #7

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Hi,

    It is all depending on your budget. Do you have a budget? Without knowing this fact, it will be quite hard for people to advise to you.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Advise needed

    My budget is 2.5K.
    may not want to spend all on the camera, and wish to get some macro lens.
    i have been around asking and the prices varies alot....difference of $500!!!!
    so far, i have heard good things abt the 40D, except for the size.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Advise needed

    With a budget of $2,500, this is my recommendation.

    Get a 2nd hand EOS 30D + EF-S 55-200mm IS + EF 100mm f2.8 Macro + Sigma 10-20mm f3.5-4.5.

    I presume that you are not going into FF in the next 1-2 years, otherwise, no point buying some of the above lenses.

    The difference between EOS 30D and 40D is not very vital. Are you a kind of person who is into latest technology or more inclined to photography. If you are the former, then go for EOS 40D else 30D is sufficient.
    Last edited by USM; 10th January 2008 at 04:37 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Advise needed

    After using 400D size doesnt mean smaller the better. Big hand big cam, small hand small cam the cam should be fit your hands ergonomically or you'll feel as if a fly or mosquito by your ear.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by USM View Post
    With a budget of $2,500, this is my recommendation.

    Get a 2nd hand EOS 30D + EF-S 55-200mm IS + EF 100mm f2.8 Macro + Sigma 10-20mm f3.5-4.5.

    I presume that you are not going into FF in the next 1-2 years, otherwise, no point buying some of the above lenses.

    The difference between EOS 30D and 40D is not very vital. Are you a kind of person who is into latest technology or more inclined to photography. If you are the former, then go for EOS 40D else 30D is sufficient.
    With the above setup, it will able to last you for next couple of years for Landscape, general and Macro. Maybe just need to upgrade to external flash when budget allowed.

    If you need a external flash now, you might want to get Tamron 90mm Macro instead of Cannon 100mm Macro to free some cash.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Appreciated for those comments and advise posted.
    can i know wat the main difference in the kit lens type 1 and type 2 of the 40D package?
    does it mean tat the more x the lens the better pics its take?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by hamster-link View Post
    Appreciated for those comments and advise posted.
    can i know wat the main difference in the kit lens type 1 and type 2 of the 40D package?
    does it mean tat the more x the lens the better pics its take?
    No my dear... expensive lens will not help you to compose and press the shutter....
    It's you that take better picture.

    Kit lens 1 is 18-55mm and kit lens 2 is 17-85mm. The difference is that kit lens 2 cover bigger range than 1.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Thanks for all the advise.
    i am really a noob at photography regarding abt lens and stuffs
    wish to learn more from the pros here

  15. #15
    Senior Member Leong23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    within myself
    Posts
    3,186

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Maybe you should just start off with 40D kit lens 2 to start off with this hobby.
    Although 80% of my shooting is on nature macro photography, my advice is don't rush into buying macro lens. Lots of 2nd hand macro lens are floating in buy/sell forumn because many of them give up after trying.

    Try shooting with your kit lens more and you will know where you're incline to.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Advise needed

    If you have the time, join us for this outing.

    http://clubsnap.com/forums/showthrea...73#post3694773

  17. #17
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by hamster-link View Post
    Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
    i was shopping around and i got to a shop in lucky plaza selling 40D for $1555 with the basic kit and without warrenty.
    its is so cheap tat i nearly bought tat, but i suspect something is amiss.
    any impt qnes to ask the assistant b4 buying?

    I never like bashing on shops but counters at lucky plaza should be avoided.
    Of course you can shop there but do be very very cautious

    For macro get anything around 70-210 macro?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by hamster-link View Post
    Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
    i was shopping around and i got to a shop in lucky plaza selling 40D for $1555 with the basic kit and without warrenty.
    its is so cheap tat i nearly bought tat, but i suspect something is amiss.
    any impt qnes to ask the assistant b4 buying?
    get from LORDS, go there see whether they have a not.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Thanks for all the advise.
    i will definately read up more and will in the outing if i can make it.
    cheers and happy photography

  20. #20

    Default Re: Advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    Canon 10-22mm $790, 100mm f2.8 macro $1030
    eh eh, where the prices from? for the 100mm macro, i got quoted 797 (by email) from MS711.. at the shop, another person quote me 820
    Canonite
    Disciple of the Canonical Order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •