Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Be My Lover

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Be My Lover

    Hi,

    Took this recently at The Dolls Affair, PPed the pic to protray a dream of a lady in search of a soulmate...

    Please comment and give tips for improvement. But kindly refrain from commenting on the models (Dolls) as they are not my and the posing is also done by the stall owner.

    Thanks!

    So often we meet and yet where are you outside my dream...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    Please give your comment if you have any. I am keen to hear different opinions and see how different people feel about this.

    Thank you!

  3. #3
    Member iboey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    1,202

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    Hi Lastboltnut,

    The crop is too tight for top and both sides. The male doll abit too under. The PSed lens flare seemed awkward My 2 cents opinion
    Having expensive gears do not make you a better photographer. Period.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    I don't quite like the "aura" around the dolls... looks like very bad CA.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    Hi iboey, in fact I do have the same feeling......as this shot was taken with a 50mm prime and the place was very crowded, I can't go backward anymore and preventing people walking infront of me is difficult too....

    As for the flare, I tot of using it to cover up more of the face of the guy to make the "dream" lover effect.....seems like it doesn't work.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by iboey View Post
    Hi Lastboltnut,

    The crop is too tight for top and both sides. The male doll abit too under. The PSed lens flare seemed awkward My 2 cents opinion

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    O! After you mentioned and I up my monitor's contrast....yah, its there!!!!! Thanks for the feedback, I have to fix it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    I don't quite like the "aura" around the dolls... looks like very bad CA.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    Hey bro~
    Just my own views la.

    1) Hmm, i kinda dunno where the focus is on for this shot.
    The concept of yours is to potray the male doll as someone who only appears in the female doll's dream right? And thus the dreamy feel to the male doll i assume?
    I guess the "blur" PP done on the male doll is maybe too much. Maybe a clearer one will be better to fully compose the shot.
    Hmm, when i first saw this shot, my eyes were drawn to the hands, then the female doll. So i guess the male doll part, will tend to go unnoticed at first view.

    2) Also, the hmm, sorry, is it a grave tablet? Kinda distracting to me...

    3) And ya, the aura... didn't notice till i see up straight, quite serious.


    Bro, don't be angry hor, just my view la.

    However, i feel the idea and concept is good if what i feel about your concept (mentioned above) is true.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    1. weird spot/psed lens flare.

    2.dof seems too shallow. i think this pic is trying to isolate the lady more however some parts of the hair and dress is out of focus. If trying for soft focus on the lady i think the hand and face front profile seems too sharp

    3. cropping felt too tight


    i would prefered either both in focus or either one is totally in focus.
    My 2 cents

  9. #9

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    wa, my school monitor really damn horrible.. the picture looks entirely different from the first time i saw it there, luckily never comment based on what i saw there

    bro, the pp here is too out of this world, the dof doesn't work precisely because it looks pped on. like others have said, the doll also got aura.. there are also weird smudges here and there in the background. maybe you could post the original and see what people produce from it?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    Hi bro, no prob, always good to hear views. If not won't post here lah.Ha!

    1. Ya, the concept was to make this a dream scene....thus the blur and soft effect is to make the dreamy effect. For the man, I PPed it more blur as he is suppose to exist only in the dream and not a real person, and lady was trying very hard to see his face....but can't make up the face too.

    Yah, the hands and the face of the lady was purposely left clear. In contrast from all other blur due to the dreamy effect to draw viewers' attention. For the hand, this is to emphasize on the desire of the lady to have a relationship with her dream-husband. For the lady's face, she is the center of the topic, so attention should be with her....

    2. Yah, I think its a grave tablet....I left it there for since there was a cross, for wedding mah. May be should PP it away. Ha!

    3. Yah, the aura....I didn't notice on my monitor too....may be its time to change my 4 yr old monitor liao.

    And yes, you did interpreted my pic the way I wanted....just that my PP and angle wasn't taken too well due to the constraint on site. Sigh.

    Thanks for taking time to comment!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Hey bro~
    Just my own views la.

    1) Hmm, i kinda dunno where the focus is on for this shot.
    The concept of yours is to potray the male doll as someone who only appears in the female doll's dream right? And thus the dreamy feel to the male doll i assume?
    I guess the "blur" PP done on the male doll is maybe too much. Maybe a clearer one will be better to fully compose the shot.
    Hmm, when i first saw this shot, my eyes were drawn to the hands, then the female doll. So i guess the male doll part, will tend to go unnoticed at first view.

    2) Also, the hmm, sorry, is it a grave tablet? Kinda distracting to me...

    3) And ya, the aura... didn't notice till i see up straight, quite serious.


    Bro, don't be angry hor, just my view la.

    However, i feel the idea and concept is good if what i feel about your concept (mentioned above) is true.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    Hi blurry80,

    1. Yah, may be the added lens flare wasn't a good idea. I will try to take it away.

    2. As I explained to yapster, the blurred pic was intended as its a dream scene.....the hands and the lady's face was left sharp to draw attention of viewers (please see reply to yapster).

    3. Yes, I also feel the framing is too tight....no choice, due to circumstances on site....

    Did you say you prefer the lady to be totally in focused? Hmm....may be a good idea too...let me try it out.

    Thanks for the comments and idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by blurry80 View Post
    1. weird spot/psed lens flare.

    2.dof seems too shallow. i think this pic is trying to isolate the lady more however some parts of the hair and dress is out of focus. If trying for soft focus on the lady i think the hand and face front profile seems too sharp

    3. cropping felt too tight


    i would prefered either both in focus or either one is totally in focus.
    My 2 cents

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    Hey bro, you have spotted it on....it was meant to be out of this world and the DOF was not from the cam but PPed to present a dream scene....thus there is no DOF planes to trace.

    about the aura and smudges are due to bad PP as my monitor may be faulty liao. Sianz...time to spend $ again (was planning to buy a new CPU, seems like a new CRT is a must liao).

    As the dolls are not mine, I think its not too good to openly let everyone PP on it.....sorry.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    wa, my school monitor really damn horrible.. the picture looks entirely different from the first time i saw it there, luckily never comment based on what i saw there

    bro, the pp here is too out of this world, the dof doesn't work precisely because it looks pped on. like others have said, the doll also got aura.. there are also weird smudges here and there in the background. maybe you could post the original and see what people produce from it?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Hi bro, no prob, always good to hear views. If not won't post here lah.Ha!

    1. Ya, the concept was to make this a dream scene....thus the blur and soft effect is to make the dreamy effect. For the man, I PPed it more blur as he is suppose to exist only in the dream and not a real person, and lady was trying very hard to see his face....but can't make up the face too.

    Yah, the hands and the face of the lady was purposely left clear. In contrast from all other blur due to the dreamy effect to draw viewers' attention. For the hand, this is to emphasize on the desire of the lady to have a relationship with her dream-husband. For the lady's face, she is the center of the topic, so attention should be with her....

    2. Yah, I think its a grave tablet....I left it there for since there was a cross, for wedding mah. May be should PP it away. Ha!

    3. Yah, the aura....I didn't notice on my monitor too....may be its time to change my 4 yr old monitor liao.

    And yes, you did interpreted my pic the way I wanted....just that my PP and angle wasn't taken too well due to the constraint on site. Sigh.

    Thanks for taking time to comment!!
    1.Haha, you should put this writeup right at the beginning la.

    Hehe, i've got more details of what you meant.

    2. Hmm, but the grave tablet gave me the idea that the male doll passed away and that's why the bride can only see him in her dream... So a bit different from what you intended right?

    3. Haha, then i may have to change also. Cos i didn't notice right at the beginning. haha.

    No prob about your PP and angle la, the main thing is to learn from our current shot and improve for the next 10000 shots ma.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Be My Lover

    O....I did not mentioned earlier because I would like to hear the 1st feel of the pic from viewers to see if my intention was achieved....seems like achieved, but not to the taste of most people.

    Yah, here to learn from all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    1.Haha, you should put this writeup right at the beginning la.

    Hehe, i've got more details of what you meant.

    2. Hmm, but the grave tablet gave me the idea that the male doll passed away and that's why the bride can only see him in her dream... So a bit different from what you intended right?

    3. Haha, then i may have to change also. Cos i didn't notice right at the beginning. haha.

    No prob about your PP and angle la, the main thing is to learn from our current shot and improve for the next 10000 shots ma.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •