Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

  1. #1

    Default how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    how do i achieve that when i am using the M setting and the F.stop hav to be set inline with what the studio light meter shows?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jurong|Tampines|TangShooters
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    What is bokeh? =X

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Errr, shoot without flash/strobe?

  4. #4
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    how do i achieve that when i am using the M setting and the F.stop hav to be set inline with what the studio light meter shows?
    lightmeter allow you to choose your aperture.

  5. #5

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    First, need to understand how is bokeh (small DOF) being achieved.
    a) Long focal length
    b) Large aperature
    c) Large distance between subject and background
    d) Relatively small distance between subject and camera compared to subject to background
    e) Larger sensor (PnS, Prosumer compared to DSLR)

    What do you have to bokeh in the studio btw? Doesn't really have much difference... Most backgrounds are single colored unless you're talking about muslin backgrounds or other special backgrounds.
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Your lights can be adjusted for output...

    And if for some reason you can't do that... you can shift the the light further away from the subject. And if for some reason you also cannot do that... use something translucent to kill the output also can...
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 6th January 2008 at 11:59 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Your lights can be adjusted for output...

    And if for some reason you can't do that... you can shift the the light further away from the subject. And if for some reason you also cannot do that... use something translucent to kill the output also can...
    If reduce the output of the lights so much arh, might as well use flash or shoot outdoor liao... Why use strobes when it is a super overkill???
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    If reduce the output of the lights so much arh, might as well use flash or shoot outdoor liao... Why use strobes when it is a super overkill???
    Coz strobes can give you a wide diffused lighting. Or any other form of light diffuser you require.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Uh.. yeah.. but having XXXX amount of output doesn't mean you have to use all of it what.

    If the shot you have in mind really needs a shallow DOF, then the only way is to reduce the light.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Coz strobes can give you a wide diffused lighting. Or any other form of light diffuser you require.
    Yeah that too.

    Anyway... since its a studio with all the equipment there... why would you want to set up a bunch of speedlights when whatever is available gives you more control and options.

  11. #11

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    you cannot achieve "bokeh"... bokeh is the quality or "look" of the out of focus area, ie. how the out of focus areas look... this depends on the lens in use... what you want is to have areas that are out of focus...

  12. #12
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    shooting human in a studio, narrow DOF is not alway possible, and also not the primary goal. cos studio flash is too powerful, placing the light far away will alter the ratio of lighting and shadow, add more diffuser will alter the quality of light, and also most studios are too small for you to place your subject further away from background.

    Most of shallow DOF effect in studio is achieve by using PC lens, you also can use a large format camera to do so.

    another cheapo way is to use ND filter on your camera lens, a 3X ND filter can cut down f11 to f4.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #13
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    on order to get a shallower DOF (not necessarily good bokeh) you will need to use a bigger aperture
    thus you need to reduce the amount of light that,

    some ways to reduce the amount of light.
    (does not mean you will get nice light)

    move lights further away from subject
    reduce intensity of light source
    add light modifiers
    positioning the direction of lights
    gobos

    ND filters for lens
    ND gels for lights

    be creative, lots of thing that can be done

  14. #14
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    another cheapo way is to use ND filter on your camera lens, a 3X ND filter can cut down f11 to f4.
    very great idea! didn't realise ND filters can be use for studio too..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    use tilt-shift lens, use macro lens and go near. telephoto shoot far.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #16

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    thanks for all who replied

    Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    First, need to understand how is bokeh (small DOF) being achieved.
    a) Long focal length
    b) Large aperature
    c) Large distance between subject and background
    d) Relatively small distance between subject and camera compared to subject to background
    e) Larger sensor (PnS, Prosumer compared to DSLR)

    What do you have to bokeh in the studio btw? Doesn't really have much difference... Most backgrounds are single colored unless you're talking about muslin backgrounds or other special backgrounds.
    i would be a bridal shoot, then i want the gloom to he infront then the bride to be at the back, then somemore is the 'love-heartshape props' which i wish to have a soft background, in the back and make the couple stand out.

    to the rest, i will read them once i get home, 1 by 1 and keep them coming

  17. #17

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    thanks for all who replied


    i would be a bridal shoot, then i want the gloom to he infront then the bride to be at the back, then somemore is the 'love-heartshape props' which i wish to have a soft background, in the back and make the couple stand out.

    to the rest, i will read them once i get home, 1 by 1 and keep them coming
    Having "the gloom to he infront then the bride to be at the back" shouldn't be a problem if you use long focal length to shoot or you stand near to the groom...

    Maybe this will help:
    - http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lsRu...eature=related
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    thanks for all who replied


    i would be a bridal shoot, then i want the gloom to he infront then the bride to be at the back, then somemore is the 'love-heartshape props' which i wish to have a soft background, in the back and make the couple stand out.

    to the rest, i will read them once i get home, 1 by 1 and keep them coming
    its a gloomy kinda love...

    do you know you can use a flash to 'white out' the other party? just a suggestion... meter the party you want to take, then +1 stop more for the person u wanna blur. You should have more than 1 light right?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  19. #19
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    thanks for all who replied


    i would be a bridal shoot, then i want the gloom to he infront then the bride to be at the back, then somemore is the 'love-heartshape props' which i wish to have a soft background, in the back and make the couple stand out.

    to the rest, i will read them once i get home, 1 by 1 and keep them coming
    Will you be renting studio or have your own studio?
    Have you shoot studio prior to this bridal shoot?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

    DCA: then wouldnt the photo look kind of funny? the not-in-focus blown highlights person would be snatching for attention with your actual intended subject wor... sorry, if what i am picturing in my mind is quite different from what you have. heh.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •