Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,323

    Default retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    anyone know how do i retrieve settings like colour saturation, WB etc. done on camera when i open the RAW file in photoshop?
    have just got a IR filter and tried shooting with it. should have done it correctly (blue sky, white foliage on preview). but once i open the raw file in photoshop/ bridge, it revert to a pinkish tint... can't figure out how to get back the white balance... need some help with that

  2. #2

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtansj View Post
    anyone know how do i retrieve settings like colour saturation, WB etc. done on camera when i open the RAW file in photoshop?
    have just got a IR filter and tried shooting with it. should have done it correctly (blue sky, white foliage on preview). but once i open the raw file in photoshop/ bridge, it revert to a pinkish tint... can't figure out how to get back the white balance... need some help with that
    in adobe raw plugin just change the image settings to "as shot" to get back the original in-camera white balance. if you are trying to adjust the white balance, you can use the eyedropper tool in the raw plugin to sample various areas of the photo until you get close to what you want. then fine tune by adjusting the color temperature and tint. since you are shooting IR, you might want to check the stickies in the IR section of this forum.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    thanks, but tried to change the white balance setting to as shot... result is the same... not sure why...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    you can't process IR raw in photoshop, at from what i have tried and heard, iirc not even Capture NX could do it. you might want to try capture one, im able to get good IR shot from raw using it

  5. #5

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtansj View Post
    thanks, but tried to change the white balance setting to as shot... result is the same... not sure why...
    did you try using the eyedropper and/or adjusting the color temperature? you should seem some changes.

  6. #6

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    you can't process IR raw in photoshop, at from what i have tried and heard, iirc not even Capture NX could do it. you might want to try capture one, im able to get good IR shot from raw using it
    you cant? raw is just the data from the sensor. if you can process an IR jpeg in photoshop i dont see why you cant process IR raw.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    you cant? raw is just the data from the sensor. if you can process an IR jpeg in photoshop i dont see why you cant process IR raw.
    tried, and its not possible at least for me.

  8. #8

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    tried, and its not possible at least for me.
    you may be right...just found this.

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/5502759...7601555941847/

    seems like the color temperature slider in the latest acr doesnt go low enough.

    have you tried converting to jpeg and adjusting photoshop itself?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    you may be right...just found this.

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/5502759...7601555941847/

    seems like the color temperature slider in the latest acr doesnt go low enough.

    have you tried converting to jpeg and adjusting photoshop itself?
    nope, gave up trying with photoshop, anyone i guess too much color info will be lost if the color temp is greatly pulled down in JPG form. all this probably just make things more complicated.

    Im sticking with my Capture One.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    you may be right...just found this.

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/5502759...7601555941847/

    seems like the color temperature slider in the latest acr doesnt go low enough.

    have you tried converting to jpeg and adjusting photoshop itself?
    yah... mine came out just like the example on the url... wonder are there any others who are able to PP IR RAW files with only PS....

  11. #11

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    the guys in the IR section may be able to help you.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    since you shoot with Nikon, you might want to use preview extractor, it extract a jpg out from a nef without any tweak, after that you can process the jpg in PS.
    its a freeware, just google up for preview extractor

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: retrieving on-camera settings for RAW files

    seem to be able to get the WB back once i auto levels in PS... solved the problem... not sure why also... pictures processed and posted here http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthrea...46#post3688646
    Last edited by andrewtansj; 9th January 2008 at 01:38 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •