Thread: Circular Polarizer

Default Circular Polarizer

how to use the rotating ring on a Hoya Circular Polarizer?? i know its used to control the effect of the polarizer. but how to set? read in some website that u cant see the changes thru the viewfinder. can see thru lcd. but my cam dun have live view function. how??

or do we just follow the "finger and thumb" rule??
    What i need is the skill and vision of a pro... not a pro camera!

Default Re: Circular Polarizer

what finger and thumb rule?

i think you should be able to see the effects of the polariser through the lens, actually, just that it is not very apparent unless you know what to look out for

first and foremost, darkening of skies should happen, pretty sure you can see that, just put the cpl on, point your camera at the skies, best if away from the sun, and then turn the ring.. the skies should deepen in color.

secondly, for nonmetallic surfaces, put it on, and turn. you should see reduced reflections on say, glass surfaces, water surfaces, etc. as you turn they will increase and then decrease again.

also to add on, the greens like trees/grass will be more saturated too..

iirc, the best effect is 90degrees from the sun..

Can also use the histogram to see the changes when you rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    how to use the rotating ring on a Hoya Circular Polarizer?? i know its used to control the effect of the polarizer. but how to set? read in some website that u cant see the changes thru the viewfinder. can see thru lcd. but my cam dun have live view function. how??

or do we just follow the "finger and thumb" rule??
    Hi Fergo

No need to use Liveview. U shld see the effect through the viewfinder.
    As what others have mentioned, it works best at certain angles. The effect might be abit more subtle at some other scenes and angles

Ryan

simple rule of thumb..

if you shooting some scene by using CPL filter on a lens, and you keep rotating the filter but still don't see any effect.

you can shoot it without the CPL filter, cause it won't take any effect on that scene.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk View Post
    also to add on, the greens like trees/grass will be more saturated too..

iirc, the best effect is 90degrees from the sun..
    thats the "finger and thumb" rule i read from websites. point finger into sun and point cam to thumb in a 90 degree manner.

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Hi Fergo

No need to use Liveview. U shld see the effect through the viewfinder.
    As what others have mentioned, it works best at certain angles. The effect might be abit more subtle at some other scenes and angles

Ryan
    cant really see leh.. hahha.. i think i abit "shoot bird".

by the way, how much do you guys stop up for EV when using CPL?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    what finger and thumb rule?
    IIRC, luminous landscapes did cite a method of making the thumb and index finger into an 'L', like a gun. Then point the index finger at the sun. CPL is most effective in the direction your thumb points, which is basically 90 degrees from the sun.

Simply put, CPL works best when the sun shines perpendicularly across your lens.

Once again, IIRC.
    flickr me here ;)

want to see effect? simple.

just mount the filter, aim your camera at an LCD screen and rotate.

at certain angles suddenly your lcd screen goes blank ~
    chezburgr i can haz?

I agree that it can be subtle.

You can try to rotate the CPL and with your naked eye see the change in colors in the skies and the reflection on surfaces / water. ( No even fixing onto the lens ) The change in intensity in foliage can be sometimes difficult to discern.

Ryan

To see the maximum effect of polariser you should use it when the sun is NOT at high noon. Maybe try at 9 am in the morning or 4pm in the afternoon when the sun is lower. Aim the camera 90 degrees from the sun and rotate the filter. You should see the sky darkening through your viewfinder. Of course, the sky must be clear with little or no clouds. Polariser don't work during cloudy days.

If you happen to stay in temperate lands like Australia, US, New Zealand etc the effect of the polariser is more pronounce. In fact it is possible to make the sky turn almost blue black but it will make your picture look unnatural.

I thought that CPL will work once the sun shines perpendicularly across your lens. Still need to rotate?

Previously when I tried my friend's B+W, I cant differentiate the effect when I rotate the CPL.

It has two rings. The outer ring contains the glass element rotates about the inner ring which is thread fixed to ur lens. The rotation of the polariser changes the direction of the polarised light source.

I got no comparisons between polarised and non polarised shots but here is a shot i took some time back in Europe with a polariser in action. Now. The actual blue wasn't that blue but it was brought out by the polariser, but taken at an almost 90 from the sun

The Prater Wheel

Ryan