Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Daughter playing at water fountain

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    57

    Default Daughter playing at water fountain

    First of all, I should say hello to everyone. I'm a newbie here. I recently bought a Sony DSC H7 and took it with me to the Botanic Garden during a family trip. I took this photo of my daughter while she was playing at the water fountain in the kids' area. She was starting to feel uncomfortable at the point I took it. In fact she tried to run out after that and ended up sitting on her tush when she was hit by the water.

    Anyway, there seems to be something wrong with this photo. In your opinion, is it anything that can be improved by cropping? Thanks in advance!

    Last edited by eikin; 5th January 2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: attach picture

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    BUKIT PANJANG
    Posts
    1,997

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    hey hi our new fellow cser firstly welcome to clubsnap
    regarding your picture i think there was a little expression and if u were to squat down and be at almost the same level as your daughter the result would be totally different
    happy shooting with your new camera
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    I don't know if its the limit of the camera, but shallower DOF will be able to isolate your gal and water from the background better.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    together with 2 the comments above, try looking up photos of subjects in a similiar environment (esp those bugis fountain shots) and take note of framing, depth of field and the exposure. and your daughter is adorable!

    have fun shooting

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    Hi,

    Thanks for comments. Really appreciate it. I also dunno why I didn't just squat.
    I've been reading up but it doesn't just all come to me when I'm taking a picture. Also I'm not so good at producing the right dof, etc yet. And as someone pointed out, my camera is not pro. I wanted to pick up the basics first. Thanks again.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    If you really really want to have nice DOF for this pic (eg to print out and keep or frame) you can always PP the DOF. Just live with the constraints you have and slowly upgrade if you find that you are really keen.

    Quote Originally Posted by lilduckling View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks for comments. Really appreciate it. I also dunno why I didn't just squat.
    I've been reading up but it doesn't just all come to me when I'm taking a picture. Also I'm not so good at producing the right dof, etc yet. And as someone pointed out, my camera is not pro. I wanted to pick up the basics first. Thanks again.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In a not so green world!! :(
    Posts
    566

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    hmmm...v interesting solution! and how would you recommend to do that...? reason being that I too have many such pics where i could have done better with a nice DOF but thought it was too late once the pic was taken. your comment can improve my collection too, so do elaborate.

    (btw, hope your solution will not require PS etc...some of us only work with basic software like Photoelements 5 etc...anycase love to hear your solution though)

    thanks in advance mate!

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    If you really really want to have nice DOF for this pic (eg to print out and keep or frame) you can always PP the DOF. Just live with the constraints you have and slowly upgrade if you find that you are really keen.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    Try something different, ask yr daugther to sit in the middle and u shoot from the top of the fountain.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    Hi daydreamz....I am so sorry, but I do use CS2.....I am not sure about Photoelements 5...may be you can google for some tutorials? Sorry I can't help.

    Quote Originally Posted by daydreamz View Post
    hmmm...v interesting solution! and how would you recommend to do that...? reason being that I too have many such pics where i could have done better with a nice DOF but thought it was too late once the pic was taken. your comment can improve my collection too, so do elaborate.

    (btw, hope your solution will not require PS etc...some of us only work with basic software like Photoelements 5 etc...anycase love to hear your solution though)

    thanks in advance mate!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In a not so green world!! :(
    Posts
    566

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    no worries, will do. btw, how do u do it in CS2? maybe the same principles will apply...i can try! cheers.

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Hi daydreamz....I am so sorry, but I do use CS2.....I am not sure about Photoelements 5...may be you can google for some tutorials? Sorry I can't help.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    There are many ways to do it....my way:

    1. Duplicate the layer.
    2. Apply "lens blur" to the new layer.
    3. Mask the new layer for area you want to be sharp.

    Thats about all.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    Thanks, lastboltnut. I also do not have PS. Time to download gimp.

    grumpy, that's a good suggestion but I didn't even dare to get too close to that spray of water with my new camera.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    Quote Originally Posted by lilduckling View Post
    grumpy, that's a good suggestion but I didn't even dare to get too close to that spray of water with my new camera.
    Must time your run, I think I got my feet a little wet, was wearing sandals. I managed a couple of shot of my son in it. He didnt want to stay too long, so I only managed a couple of snapshots, would want to reshoot the next time we visit. Water on camera.... think a couple of tiny droplet here and there, nothing a piece of tissue can't fix.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    In a not so green world!! :(
    Posts
    566

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    thanks bro...tried to do this. there are many options under lensblur in PhotoElements....which one to use? Normal, more, gaussian, radial, etc etc?!!

    tried a few but still not getting it. it does blur the entire new layer. so then do i have to merge the new blur layer with the original layer wherein my subject matter is in sharp focus!? how do u get the final result where background etc is blur like in a bokeh?

    thanks mate again in advance for your help.

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    There are many ways to do it....my way:

    1. Duplicate the layer.
    2. Apply "lens blur" to the new layer.
    3. Mask the new layer for area you want to be sharp.

    Thats about all.

  15. #15
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    22,018

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    at most of the case, shooting kids, you have to get down to their eye level,

    however, for this shot, you can go higher angle to eliminate the unwanted background,

    and also, water shoot out behind her head does not look nice, try to avoid that in future.

    btw, a photo should be good at it is, adding any PP to a photo is like adding spices to a dish, just a little to bring out the favor, if you adding to much pepper to black pepper crab, you will spoil the crab.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Daughter playing at water fountain

    Water shooting out of the head... you're right i didn't notice that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •