Thread: Where to take pics in London

Default Where to take pics in London

Hi Everyone,

I will be going to London, can share where are the good locations to take pictures?

Thanks
    Lee

Red face Re: Where to take pics in London

London Dungeon will be interesting
    So will Trafalgar Square
    A few dramatic shots of the big wheel shold inspire

The crowds in the underground station
    shopping in Harrods

The life in Portebello Road
    lots of nice buildings too

this for starters
    Jag

ps
    Edinborough has lovely buildings

Default Re: Where to take pics in London

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy747 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I will be going to London, can share where are the good locations to take pictures?

Thanks
    Lee
    You gotta go to the Tower Bridge. Buckingham Palace is also a good spot if you can see the change of guards. There is a huge Queen Victoria statue just outside the Palace. Cross your fingers that it is not raining coz London always has a cloudy about to rain feel.

If you got time, take a train to Straford Upon Avon (Shakespear's birthplace) - got very nice English cottages and houses. The streets are lovely.

everywhere!

what do you wish to take pictures of though, there are photo opportunities everywhere, to be honest, but within central london itself, if you're into scenics, then:
    1) hyde park/kensington park
    2) westminister city
    3) river thames - at night or near sunset, this includes houses of parliament and big ben, london eye, purcell room, all the bridges
    4) st paul's area
    5) natural history museum, british museum

and the list goes on and on and on, this is my london gallery if you need ideas, cheers

Bath is near London, and Bath is great too, because their architecture is very different from most parts of England. And on the way to London from Bath, you can stop at the Stonehenge, which is marvelous!!! In London you should try the area where the London Eye is. Many nice landmarks in the area. Westminster Abbey is great, and so is Big Ben. Towerbridge is good too, as mentioned. Try the bridge at Thames River near the Globe Theatre and Tate Modern Gallery too. Though there's construction going on everywhere, and thus cranes in your photos will be inevitable. Stratford-upon-avon is very pretty, but it's far from London if you intend to stay in the area only. Oxford is beautiful too!

On a ride on London Eye most definitely, watch out for the direction of the sun, it's best when the sun is shining from the direction of Waterloo station. When the shy is blue, picture taking is absolutely superb.

St Paul's cathedral is nice, the problem is that picture taking is not allowed inside, but there are ways to overcome this. Right at the top of the cathedral, the view is beautiful too.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
    Lee

I was there years ago and the camden town flea market would get my vote.

Besides that, I like Kew Garden during fall/autum.

Quote Originally Posted by toda_k20 View Post
    I was there years ago and the camden town flea market would get my vote.

Besides that, I like Kew Garden during fall/autum.
    that is one interesting place, i just went there recently and it reminds me of bugis junction in the weirdest way possible.

do be careful of your belongings when you are there though. it IS safe, but probably less so than central london itself. i think you will see what i mean if you go there for yourself. worth a visit nonetheless, if you have time.

If you are a BEATLES fan, Abbey road is a must

Hi Everyone,
    Lee
    You lucky devil you! Well, anywhere and everywhere!
    Besides those listed earlier, try the Marble Arch, quaint Soho, Chinatown, buskers and heck, even the HMS Belfast is a good subject!

Quote Originally Posted by napier View Post
    If you are a BEATLES fan, Abbey road is a must
    Er, the first person should be in white, the third shouldn't wear shoes... and where's the Volkswagen to complete the picture?
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Cool Re: Where to take pics in London

Heheh
    Ya, I did the Abbey Road thing also..... its a must

Jag

NIGHT86mare, the junction photo is fantastic!
    great creativity

Jag

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will try to take some pics. So many locations so little time...............

Was there late Nov 07 to Mid Dec 07. One thing is that you need to time yourself while you are out shooting. Cause in Winter, day is short. Sunrise about 8am, and sunset about 4pm. Check this link for timing <http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136>.

Buckingham palace, Kensington park & palace, St Paul Cathedral, Trafalgar Square (one of my favorite), River Thames (plus a lot more buildings/bridges on both north and south banks), London Eye (catch a flight during sunset, and sun sets behind Big Ben and House of Parliament), Westminister Abbey, House of Parliament, Swiss RE Tower (pickle/cigar shape building), Borough's market, portobello market, book a day tour out to Bath/Stonehenge/Windsor Palace, make a visit to O two arena....many more if you have the time....

get yourself an Oyster card for tube/train/bus...just like our ezylink card...http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2625.aspx

get yourself a London Pass to access tourist attraction for free....http://www.londonpass.com/....I bought at a cheaper price at the train station's travel counter and got it on the spot....29pounds for 1 day pass...

more information on London...check here http://www.londontown.com/...

have fun shooting...stay warm....
    K30 (Black) DA18 - 135, DA50-200