Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

  1. #1

    Default Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    May I know what kind of light do you all usually use when shooting products like crystals or aesthetic accessories in light tents?

    Any good suggestions?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    depends on the mood and effect and size of tent.

    easiest, using fluorescent (cool)
    then using mini strobes (plenty)
    then using studio strobes
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    easiest is actually sunlight

    but shooting crystals in a light tent?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sembawang Road, Singapore
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    If you are shooting jewellery, you might want to use a small directed source of light. This will give the crystals etc a sparkle. You can create a snoot if your light source is too wide.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    easiest is actually sunlight

    but shooting crystals in a light tent?
    I am not sure also. First time doing such stuff. May I know what do you suggest?

    Thanks

  6. #6

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Quote Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
    If you are shooting jewellery, you might want to use a small directed source of light. This will give the crystals etc a sparkle. You can create a snoot if your light source is too wide.
    Do you mind elaborating more on it? Do I need to shoot in a very dark place?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Do you mind elaborating more on it? Do I need to shoot in a very dark place?

    Thanks
    Not exactly, but do prevent any stray light from reaching it directly. Also, reflections from some other surfaces can also give you some unwanted colours.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    I am not sure also. First time doing such stuff. May I know what do you suggest?

    Thanks
    if the crystals are cut like a diamond (to reflect light and shine)
    then a dark bg would make it shine more than a white bg

    flat light from a light tent will not do justice to the crystals

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sembawang Road, Singapore
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Like what ortega suggests, you need a dark background to contrast with the crystals.

    For the snoot thingy, what I meant was that you have a beam of light shining on the crystals. Control the width, incase you are shooting a pendent with a chain, so that it only shines on the pendent. You can use normal diffused light to light up the rest of the scene.

    It would help if you tell us what exactly are you shooting? Earrings, chains, pieces of crystals?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Quote Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
    Like what ortega suggests, you need a dark background to contrast with the crystals.

    For the snoot thingy, what I meant was that you have a beam of light shining on the crystals. Control the width, incase you are shooting a pendent with a chain, so that it only shines on the pendent. You can use normal diffused light to light up the rest of the scene.

    It would help if you tell us what exactly are you shooting? Earrings, chains, pieces of crystals?
    Actually I am shooting some crystals and pendents.

    Thanks

  11. #11

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Any gd places to recommend for me to buy some light source?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sembawang Road, Singapore
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Any gd places to recommend for me to buy some light source?
    I am using two 23W 1400lm Osram energy saving lights. Using a silk-like material as a diffuser. Will normally custom white balance. I just found a place where I can get my hands on some 60W energy saving bulbs, those kind used in shops for lighting. That might be too bright though.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Quote Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
    I am using two 23W 1400lm Osram energy saving lights. Using a silk-like material as a diffuser. Will normally custom white balance. I just found a place where I can get my hands on some 60W energy saving bulbs, those kind used in shops for lighting. That might be too bright though.
    Do you mind revealing the place to buy those stuff?

    Thanks

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sembawang Road, Singapore
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Do you mind revealing the place to buy those stuff?

    Thanks
    From a friend who is a contractor. Will go check if he is willing to sell to others.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Types of lighting to use for shooting of aesthetic accessories in light tents

    Quote Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
    From a friend who is a contractor. Will go check if he is willing to sell to others.
    Thanks a lot!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •