Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dslr in cold conditions.

  1. #1

    Default Dslr in cold conditions.

    Hi all!
    I will b travelling to china:zhu hai durin feb. the weather condition should be about 10 deg cels.
    Any things to take note on protecting my camera? such as humdity, airport seurity or anything... many photo developing store people tell me that battery less efficient is the problem oni..
    this is my first time bringin a dslr out of country.

    thank you.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dslr in cold conditions.

    i would like you to refer you to the search function in the above panel.. granted you are new

    actually loads of people have been asking about this, recently at that.. so you can actually find the answers in other similar threads. i have answered this a number of times and i suppose others have too.. cheers.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore Central
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: Dslr in cold conditions.

    10 deg Celsius is not a problem at all. I have used my cameras for prolonged period at -10 deg and it functioned perfectly.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dslr in cold conditions.

    that temperature should be fine.

    i came back from tibet with lower temperature and higher attitude and my dslr works fine.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 3rd Rock
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: Dslr in cold conditions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwithcanon View Post
    Hi all!
    I will b travelling to china:zhu hai durin feb. the weather condition should be about 10 deg cels.
    Any things to take note on protecting my camera? such as humdity, airport seurity or anything... many photo developing store people tell me that battery less efficient is the problem oni..
    this is my first time bringin a dslr out of country.

    thank you.
    I was in China with my Canon 20D at -20c, so your DSLR should still survive at such low temp. Things to take note are:

    1. Avoid sudden change in temperature, ie. moving from cold to warm, condensation is bad for electronic equipment. What I usually do is to let the cam warm up slowly.

    2. Other thing to take note is the battery will drain very fast, so it is wise to carry several spare batteries.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: Dslr in cold conditions.

    Just to ask those who have travelled to countries with temperature in the 10-20 degree range (because i am going to turkey coming month)

    1) does the battery drain very fast these these ( 10-20degrees celsius)?

    2) i have a spare lithium ion battery, it is wise to put both batteries into the battery grip of D80. i was tinking of it because leaving the extra battery in my bag may cause it to lose it charges at low temperature ( correct me if i am wrong). so it is like placing both batteries in the grip would prevent them from losing charge unneccessarily

    OR

    Should i just leave the extra battery in the bag ?

    3) is there something we can do to keep the battery "warm" like wrapping it around with cloth

    4) does AA batteries ( enelop) also drain as fast as lithium ion batteries?

    Any one any kind advice, thanks in advance

    Sorry threadstarter for hijacking thread,
    Last edited by IONSOON; 11th June 2008 at 04:31 PM.
    http://www.dreamstime.com/Ionsoon_info
    So much Creativity So much Technology

  7. #7

    Default Re: Dslr in cold conditions.

    This has been discussed many times already. Alwats keep spare batteries close to your body to keep them warm, like in an inner pocket.
    Alpha

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Dslr in cold conditions.

    Quote Originally Posted by IONSOON View Post
    Just to ask those who have travelled to countries with temperature in the 10-20 degree range (because i am going to turkey coming month)

    1) does the battery drain very fast these these ( 10-20degrees celsius)?
    Read your camera's manual to see what it was designed for. Somewhere under "Environmental Conditions".

  9. #9

    Default Re: Dslr in cold conditions.

    At 10-20 degrees, drop in battery charge should be inappreciable. I had a 400D battery lasting more than a day at 5-15 degrees. Else as others said, you can stick it into tight pocket next to your skin to warm it up.

    Prepare for condensation on lens, especially moving from the cold open, into warmed-up places like train stations or hotel lobbies. Otherwise nothing much to worry I guess.

    Be prepared to have to check-in tripod, especially budget or picky airlines, or they deem the tripod too long.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: Dslr in cold conditions.

    Quote Originally Posted by icebox View Post
    At 10-20 degrees, drop in battery charge should be inappreciable. I had a 400D battery lasting more than a day at 5-15 degrees. Else as others said, you can stick it into tight pocket next to your skin to warm it up.

    Prepare for condensation on lens, especially moving from the cold open, into warmed-up places like train stations or hotel lobbies. Otherwise nothing much to worry I guess.

    Be prepared to have to check-in tripod, especially budget or picky airlines, or they deem the tripod too long.
    wah, thks for the advice
    http://www.dreamstime.com/Ionsoon_info
    So much Creativity So much Technology

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •