Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Tokyo camera buys

  1. #1

    Default Tokyo camera buys

    Hi guys,

    will be going Japan (Hokkaido and Tokyo) for honeymoon, so b4 coming back to Silly pore, will hope to popby some camera shops.

    anyone has any clue to how much the D3 cost there and the D300? if use CC, do they still give the rebate if i show passport?

    and okay, this is a tough find, anybody has any inklings to digital back costs in Japan?

    Please do lemme know here or PM if need be

    or best is p l s o o n g @ g m a i l dot c o m

    Cheers!

    PL

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Hello PL,
    Man, its been a loooong time since I saw your name here. How are you doing?

    Actually I just came back from a 10 days Japan trip with some of my friends (came back on the 21st). Because I went with a bunch of guys, of course we didn't miss out Akihabara.

    Based on what I saw, the price difference ain't that much compared to the ones in Singapore. Can't really remember the price but their DSLRs were around the range from S$1900 to S$2200. And I can't read Japanese so I don't know for that price what does it cover, e.g., body plus lens or just the body, etc etc etc.

    Not much info about your digital back search but I only saw 1 shop in Akiba selling the seemingly-more-professional camera gear (e.g. Mamiyas and medium-format cams) and 1 shop in Osaka. But that's about it. I saw more shops selling anime, manga, games for the PS/Wii/Xbox and mostly, the popular P&S digital cams. Oh by the way, if you are visiting Akihabara, go on a Sunday. According to my friend, it seems for that area, they will close the roads so pedestrians can just walk freely on the main road. I was told it was an every Sunday thing. They will have some street performers (e.g., singers) and around the JR station, they will have LOADS of young gals dressed up in cosplay distributing pamphlets. And these gals will be surrounded by hordes of otakus taking photos of them.

    About the rebate part, I heard from my friend only some shops in Akiba does that. And for credit cards, ask first because in Japan, they still prefer cash somehow and not all shops accept credit cards.

    I'm going Hokkaido with my family next month so do tell me how isizt!

    Have fun!

    Cheers,
    {Mich}
    Last edited by mich_2103; 3rd January 2008 at 11:33 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Yep, I second the part about Japanese prefering cash.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103 View Post
    Hello PL,
    Man, its been a loooong time since I saw your name here. How are you doing?

    Actually I just came back from a 10 days Japan trip with some of my friends (came back on the 21st). Because I went with a bunch of guys, of course we didn't miss out Akihabara.

    Based on what I saw, the price difference ain't that much compared to the ones in Singapore. Can't really remember the price but their DSLRs were around the range from S$1900 to S$2200. And I can't read Japanese so I don't know for that price what does it cover, e.g., body plus lens or just the body, etc etc etc.

    Not much info about your digital back search but I only saw 1 shop in Akiba selling the seemingly-more-professional camera gear (e.g. Mamiyas and medium-format cams) and 1 shop in Osaka. But that's about it. I saw more shops selling anime, manga, games for the PS/Wii/Xbox and mostly, the popular P&S digital cams. Oh by the way, if you are visiting Akihabara, go on a Sunday. According to my friend, it seems for that area, they will close the roads so pedestrians can just walk freely on the main road. I was told it was an every Sunday thing. They will have some street performers (e.g., singers) and around the JR station, they will have LOADS of young gals dressed up in cosplay distributing pamphlets. And these gals will be surrounded by hordes of otakus taking photos of them.

    About the rebate part, I heard from my friend only some shops in Akiba does that. And for credit cards, ask first because in Japan, they still prefer cash somehow and not all shops accept credit cards.

    I'm going Hokkaido with my family next month so do tell me how isizt!

    Have fun!

    Cheers,
    {Mich}
    Heya !!!!!!!!!!!! yeah its been a blardy long time since i saw your posts too!

    Happy New Year!

    Anywayz, I've been to Akihabara but couldn't decipher which shop to go. I saw more shops that sells accessories like wires and handphones and all that rather than cameras, let alone DSLRS :|


    a couple of Kind CSers did point me to MAP and Yodobashi near Shinjuku? I've yet to learn to recognize the Japanese letters......

    How much should i roughly bring in that case?

    See u sometime soon!

    Cheers

    PL

  5. #5

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    If you are going to Shinjuku, go to Map Camera first before Yodobashi.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    If you are going to Shinjuku, go to Map Camera first before Yodobashi.
    Okay...any particular reason y?

    and does MAP accept CC? with tax rebate?

    i just based a quick hantum search on kakaku for pricings.....the D300 is about 100 bucks off from SG pricing, and the lenses oso about there or slightly more than a 100 + bucks


    was thinking if i can use a CC with tax rebate, then i don't have to carry the huge amount in pockets :S

    any suggestions?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Not sure for Map Camera but there is a high possibility that Yodobashi accepts credit cards because I saw a lot of caucasians carrying their paper bags.

    Don't know if this link works but Yodobashi's website said they accept 11 kinds of credit cards
    ---> http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/payment/index.html

    PL, I went to this place called Nakano Broadway and I saw this shop selling professional filming equipment. Professional filming equipment such as kinoflo, the redheads and blondie lights and all the manfrotto tripods. Don't know if they have your digital backs but you can try there.

    Cheers,
    {mich}

  8. #8

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Hey michy,

    Nakano Broadway in Akihabara?

    wah...i need to search for the japanese characters to ID the shop !
    LOL!

    thanx mich.

    Hahahaha honeymoon become shopping time for me liddat


    for hokkaido, i won't be able to go Hakodate...... coz way too long. and i'm on the flight and stay program by ANA hotel..... couldn't get the best package (ANA Hokkaido FANTASY <--------- after all my research, this is still the best package!!!!) coz there are only 2 twerps willing to go...no prize guessing which 2 idiots.......wifey and me lah.....

    so ended up using the Flight and stay package which includes 2 hotels and airport transfers to hotels and inbetween....last hotel to airport is on our own though.

    I know alot of people will be freaked out by the japanese complicated rails and subway..... but really thats not a problem for me....my brother and I studied the whole system within one night b4 prior to our Tokyo Challenge (by straits times and SA tours) and found it really easy and great! only thing is its blardy ex.

    anywayz....places in Hokkaido that we're going:-

    Rusutsu Ski Resort (couldn't get the Grand Hirafu at Niseko....but heard it is filled with too many caucasians), Lake Toya, then go to Sapporo (and its attractions), Otaru too, then to Noboribetsu for the onsen and the hell valley walk blah blah...then off to Tokyo with Mt Fuji and city. all these own planning and bookings and all whatnots....end up i pay lesser than if i took a package!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, per pax that is

    total 12 days.



    PL
    PL

  9. #9

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Try Goggle Sakuraya, Yodobashi, Big Camera. They have major collection of gagets, PSP, wii, PS3,Ds, computers and ofcourse from PnS to DSLR, filters,lens etc. PnS is very cheap there $200-$300 cheaper. Some shop gives 5% tax rebate when passport is shown. Join as a member to get 10% points rebate off next purchase if paid with cash or 8% if use Credit card. If you claim tax rebate then cant claim points rebate. The above mention shop accept Credit card. As for pricing wise certain product are cheaper then others example Canon leather hand grip here is S$45, Big Camera is just S$25 !!! So do your home work. As for joining as member, put down your hotel as address hehehe. Next purchase can be on the same day, just pay the 1st item first then get points then pay the 2nd item and get points then pay the 3rd item.....last item use up all the points and get the item free if its a small $$$ item hehehe, Happy Holiday
    Last edited by airfins; 4th January 2008 at 08:40 PM.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  10. #10

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    For Tokyo, Shinjuku is the place to search for cameras. The good shops are MAP Camera (something like Cathay), BIC Camera (Something like Best Denki).

    I personally like MAP Camera as their prices are very reasonable. The only downside is, as they're a smaller setup, they keep a lean stock. You may not find the lens/accessories/bodies you want. Give them a call first to check. Their English language skills are quite good too.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that shops in Japan, like those in US, do entertain price matching. You can ask them if they're willing to match the price of their competitors. Most will try to beat the prices and quote competitively.

    I'm not sure about Camera bodies, but their lenses are significantly cheaper than those in Singapore. Good luck!

    P.S. The Shinjuku train station is HUGE. Knowing the correct exit is like night and day. Use the WEST exit to head towards the camera shops.
    Last edited by Gunbucker; 4th January 2008 at 02:35 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    Try Goggle Sakuraya, Yodobashi, Big Camera. They have major collection of gagets, PSP, wii, PS3,Ds, computers and ofcourse from PnS to DSLR, filters,lens etc. PnS is very cheap there $200-$300 cheaper. Some shop gives 5% tax rebate when passport is shown. Join as a member to get 10% points rebate off next purchase with cash and 8% in Credit card. If you cliam tax rebate then cant claim points rebate. The above mention shop accept Credit card. As for pricing wise certain product are cheaper then others example Canon leather hand grip, S$45 Big Camera S$25 !!! So do your home work. As for joining as member put down your hotel as address hehehe. Next purchase can be on the same day, just pay the 1st item first then get points then pay the 2nd item and get points then pay the 3rd item.....last item use up all the points and get the item free if its a small $$$ item hehehe, Happy Holiday

    WAH SEH!!!!!!!!! cham liao not enuf time to complete research...but hehehe thanx to you, hiak hiak hiak...... will pay a visit to some places...heng got 3 nights in Tokyo to do that....else......cry.....

    pointswise seems to be better from what u say..but thats if i purchase more than 2 items ?

    worse come to worse, i get a P&S for myself too!

    But hey man, thanx for tips.....i'm now trying to write down the japanese characters so that if they cannot understand an idiot, i'll just point to my handwriting and ask......got anot?

    anywhere else besides the shop mich mentioned that sells medium formats and film stuff?

    Cheers!

    PL

  12. #12

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    For Tokyo, Shinjuku is the place to search for cameras. The good shops are MAP Camera (something like Cathay), BIC Camera (Something like Best Denki).

    I personally like MAP Camera as their prices are very reasonable. The only downside is, as they're a smaller setup, they keep a lean stock. You may not find the lens/accessories/bodies you want. Give them a call first to check. Their English language skills are quite good too.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that shops in Japan, like those in US, do entertain price matching. You can ask them if they're willing to match the price of their competitors. Most will try to beat the prices and quote competitively.

    I'm not sure about Camera bodies, but their lenses are significantly cheaper than those in Singapore. Good luck!

    P.S. The Shinjuku train station is HUGE. Knowing the correct exit is like night and day. Use the WEST exit to head towards the camera shops.

    hey man,

    so u're saying that i should just say (for eg..... tell MAP that BIC/yodobashi's price is say 2000yen cheaper....so will they give me what i want for that price? and they will say okay?)

    yeah i know about crazy shijuku station.....the other oso is Ueno.....
    anywayz, whats WEST written in jap? lol

  13. #13

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    hey man,

    so u're saying that i should just say (for eg..... tell MAP that BIC/yodobashi's price is say 2000yen cheaper....so will they give me what i want for that price? and they will say okay?)

    yeah i know about crazy shijuku station.....the other oso is Ueno.....
    anywayz, whats WEST written in jap? lol
    The shops there are well aware of each other's prices. As long as you tell them their competitor's price (which they already know), they will try to quote competitively. I doubt you can just throw a number.

    Here's an example:

    Me: How much is that?
    Salesman: 200,000 Yen
    Me: Can you go lower?
    Salesman: Sorry, that is our best price.
    Me: Okay. But your competitor XYZ Shop quoted me 180,000 Yen for the same thing.
    Salesman: *runs back to the backoffice and disappears for about 5 minutes, and returns with Manager*
    Manager: We will give you at 178,000 Yen
    Me: *Takes out the plastic*

    As to the exit, when you leave the train, while still on the platform, keep a look out for the overhead signs (in English). Different stair cases/escalators lead to different exits.
    Last edited by Gunbucker; 4th January 2008 at 02:45 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    And when looking at the signs please don't block the people behind you, especially during rush hour! It is considered very bad manners he heheheh

    Good luck man! 3 days is a little short :-)

    There is also Gin Ichi in Ginza for pro equipment.......will call you for this

    HS

  15. #15

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    And when looking at the signs please don't block the people behind you, especially during rush hour! It is considered very bad manners he heheheh

    Good luck man! 3 days is a little short :-)

    There is also Gin Ichi in Ginza for pro equipment.......will call you for this

    HS
    hahahha kewl!

    yeah i know 3 days damn short..... but will do enuf

    GINZA?!?!??! the moment i hear that i tremble in fear liao........ ginza = $$$$ place LOL!

    anywayz...>Thanx to gunbucker, i blokedly forgot yeah, the subways and train stations have got ENGLISH..hahahahaha okay...time for me to start copying the camera shop names in JAP! so that i can try to ID the places.......LOL!

    flying off Monday....so last minute research for my little shopping escape

    hey hongsien maybe its not such a bad idea....wifey can go ginza and drool at all the nice bags and whatnots, while i run off and drools and secretly "dabao" some MF stuff.... LOL!

    after that..come home singapore, survive on New water and lotsa Bonjours or High5 liao

  16. #16

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Hi PL,
    Nakano Broadway isn't at Akihabara unfortunately.

    But its within walking distance from JR Nakano station. Basically the entire of Nakano Broadway mainly sells anime, manga and figurines so I was really surprised to find there was a shop there selling all the professional equipment.

    I saw a shop selling cameras at Ginza. Saw it when I stepped right out from the Sony building. But I highly doubt you really wanna buy camera from Ginza when 20 strawberries there are selling at S$45.... :S

    Cheers,
    {mich}
    Last edited by mich_2103; 4th January 2008 at 06:19 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Japaness fruits is very takaii desu, one bunch for S$100, one Honey Dew S$150, One Water Melon S$150 Sadly the points is only good for 2nd item purchase, marketing strategy. You can also go for the 5% Tax cash rebate. The item there is already cheaper then here liao, so the points are only additional I got my G9 at S$628 before another 8% as I use plastic. Used the points to buy the under water casing both add up less then S$800. The G9 here alone will cost me S$800 liaoz
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  18. #18

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    Japaness fruits is very takaii desu, one bunch for S$100, one Honey Dew S$150, One Water Melon S$150 Sadly the points is only good for 2nd item purchase, marketing strategy. You can also go for the 5% Tax cash rebate. The item there is already cheaper then here liao, so the points are only additional I got my G9 at S$628 before another 8% as I use plastic. Used the points to buy the under water casing both add up less then S$800. The G9 here alone will cost me S$800 liaoz

    okay....but how to sign up as member?

    is this for BIC/MAP?

    Wah liew...making me si bei gian liao

    can i have a look at the pics of the underwater casing?


    Thanx!

    PL

  19. #19

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    You can just tell the staff there that you want to be a member and give your hotel address.There are some big store with mandarin speaking staff too This is the link to the casing WP DC-21
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Tokyo camera buys

    Below is a drawing for the location of Gin-Ichi, hope it is useful for you. Note, the Nikon house as a point of marking. I am not sure how many streets further of the side of the main ginza street, but it is either one of the two streets I denoted with 'Gin Ichi', there is a sign outside the shop too with blue letters......


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •