Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mac or Win (for laptop)

Default Re: Mac or Win (for laptop)

Quote Originally Posted by Erenon View Post
    Only thing that matters is numbers. The actually finder may feel slower, but that may be due to human interface guidelines. Apples to apples (ie photoshop tests), show me figures.

I find the windows file system annoying.
    And creating folders can't be easier than the command-shift-n shortcut. I absolutely HATE having to right click and search for damnable create new folder button (or looking for it on a menu bar) Mind you that the same can be done on OS X, but shortcuts are far far far faster.

As for the extra files, well, that's cause winblows systems can't read the resource fork, so that's why the see the extra files. Its something you get used to if you work cross platform.

Thumbnails???? on a pc, one should always use the details view. That way you can see the file size...

yup, to each his own... personal opinions You like prata, i like laksa...

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    about the thumbnails, well, like i said, the system creates .jpg thumbnails instead of some hidden thumbnails like windows, so my friend copied the thumbnails into a CD in mistake and send for printing...
    Sorry, but Mac OS X does not do that. If he was using iPhoto or Aperture, it might be different, but the system doesn't create those thumbnails by itself. The only hidden file I'm finding in any directory with .JPG files is .DS_Store, as usual.

woa woa woa....... dun go into flames.

ok, decided liao. will try the cheapest macbook.

anyone knows where in sls to get the best deals and freebies? the 100 dollars edu discount in apple store seems quite possible to be easily outdone by retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    woa woa woa....... dun go into flames.

ok, decided liao. will try the cheapest macbook.

anyone knows where in sls to get the best deals and freebies? the 100 dollars edu discount in apple store seems quite possible to be easily outdone by retailers.
    get the black 1 lar... more chio...

try SGL Marketing, SLS 2/F.
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

Quote Originally Posted by varf View Post
    try SGL Marketing, SLS 2/F.
    ok. will go there take a look. now, i just have some problems finding a virus scan for mac. the latest norton one doesn't seem to support leopard

ok. will go there take a look. now, i just have some problems finding a virus scan for mac. the latest norton one doesn't seem to support leopard
    you know what.. somehow i've not found the need to run a virus scan on my iMac in the three years that i've had it.
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

Quote Originally Posted by varf View Post
    you know what.. somehow i've not found the need to run a virus scan on my iMac in the three years that i've had it.
    woah, but are there any virus scanners for leopard out there? i'm not really concerned about the laptop getting virus, but more of the laptop not being able to spot windows virus.

woah, but are there any virus scanners for leopard out there? i'm not really concerned about the laptop getting virus, but more of the laptop not being able to spot windows virus.
    ... ... ....

windows virus dont work on mac. different file system. like how a .exe file dun work on mac

I think that the biggest question is how much are you willing to spend?

If you are willing or got money, why not and fulfill what you want, but if you're on a budget, look for the best alternative that fits into your budget.

In the end, they're all the same. Gives the same output in the end...

Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    ... ... ....

windows virus dont work on mac. different file system. like how a .exe file dun work on mac
    haha! no lah! i'm not talking about that. i'm talking more along the lines of unknowningly allowing my sis to spread windows viruses rather than the mac being infected itself. any virus scanners out there?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    hmmm, thanks for sharing. but i guess i willing to risks those things to experiment mac. dunno whether i'll like it or not(or my sis), just giving it a try.

oo oo, forgot to ask, anyone here uses the cheapest macbook(the 2.0 ghz)? how is its performance? being the cheapest, is the speed pretty slow, like taking a long time to bootup or run internet browser etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenon View Post
    I find the windows file system annoying.
    And creating folders can't be easier than the command-shift-n shortcut. I absolutely HATE having to right click and search for damnable create new folder button (or looking for it on a menu bar) Mind you that the same can be done on OS X, but shortcuts are far far far faster.
    rightclick-w-f... tada

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone would find the thumbnails without digging. Everything that shouldn't be touched is hidden. You will see .DS_Store files anywhere you've changed the defaults of a folder.
    I think it happens only when a Mac created file gets transfered to a Windows machine... but like Erenon mentions, we just have to be aware of it... they are quite obvious because they are much smaller...

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    Some things do work faster in Windows, no doubt, because of the poor security. A lot of applications use ActiveX, which is extremely fast and poorly secured. I'll take a more secure environment and one that doesn't try to help me constantly/get in my way instead of the alternative. Besides, Mac OS X seems faster with each release but the graphics are rather heavy on the system in Leopard.
    me I prefer Vista 64... stable, secure, and pretty fast (I prefer to switch off all the bells and whistles and graphics doodats)... but that's just me

Intego VirusBarrier is probably the only one currently (easily) available and compatible with Leopard. I used another of their products years ago and I was pleasantly surprised by the way that product worked.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456