Thread: Cover shots - "Exposure"

Default Cover shots - "Exposure"

Hi guys,

I took this photo last saturday at the Autoexpo show. The setting was one which paid photographers where making cover shots for business.

€Probably lotsa people may have seen the action at work but I never.
    I took a snap at the working scene and PS it. Focus was on the model and the striking Toyota Supra and the secondary element was the director and equipments on the right.

Kindly comment whether I have given enough weight to the focus and whether the secondary element relationship works in the photo.

Other comments on the colors, positioning, tightness of the photo etc are welcome.

Default Re: Cover shots - "Exposure"

1) composition

considering that the model is your focus, she is not grabbing enough attention for me. obviously you are not intending to steal a model shot, but even then slightly tighter might be better. besides that, the angle at which you are shooting her does not really allow for the focus per se to be on her, if you catch my drift. change angle, move around might be better. other than that, the director is blending in with everything. not sure if this can be corrected but at least let his head be whole, this can be done by shooting from a lower angle so that his head will be against the white part of the wall in the distance.

unless you are intending this to be nothing more than a documentary shot then i will express the personal viewpoint that this photograph has not much artistic merit whatsoever, in terms of composition. the arrangement of elements within the photo is simply not pleasing, it is cluttered and messy.

2) pp

i understand that you are perhaps trying to literally isolate the model and car, a splash of color amidst monotone. that is fine, and may even work but what you have done seems like a very slipshod job. i see color bleeding on the walls just behind the car/model. also the reflection of car has color. was that intended? i'm thinking it would work better without color there.

Default Re: Cover shots - "Exposure"

Hi night86mare,

Thanks for your comment !

Yes, I wasn't 'stealing' a model shot and hence did not shot from the front where she will be looking directly at me. Rather I was wanted a snapshot of the setting of model cover shot. Hence the equipment and the directors. The focus was not only the model but part of the car itself ( not the whole car and hence the colors fades off alittle at both ends ).

I have intentionally chipped off the scene behind the photographer so that there's a more secondary relationship between the model and photograpgher and not with the directors (in between them ). I have also intentionally put the photographer at the edge to create this relationship tension.

I agree that the picture could turn out better with the director's head within the whites.

It's a documentary shoot, but I like vivid color like orange so I left the color of the car in tact. The picture was meant to show how a cover shot scene look like together with the photographers, directors and some equipment. The messiness was one of my intention. In fact I find the picture alittle too tight and therefore could have given the impression that it was cluttered and messy. I shall work on space in my next photo. Thanks =)

As for the colors wise, I agree that it splashed over to the walls and floors, however I did isolate the color to only the car and model alone and somehow to me, it evokes a sense of imbalance - and without the colors of the reflections and on the wall, the right side ( photographers side ) seems little 'heavy' (black) , This could be due to our differences in perspective. But it's always good to know what others see which I don't. =)

Hence I appreciate all your comments.