Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikon 5700 vs Sony F717

Default Re: Nikon 5700 vs Sony F717

Originally posted by Fella
    What are your opinions with reference to the subject above?

Here are my personal negative views on the 717
    - taking portrait (vertical) shots on the 717 is an uncomfortable experience.
    - no af lock button, a hassle when taking shots with tripod (I know there's manual focusing but that's a different issue)
    - ex mem stick pro
    - ex accessories
    - heavy with sony tc which will give 320mm while the 5700 gives 280mm at less than half the weight (without tc)
    - poor external flash support
    - slow recovery time for long shutter shots due to in-camera's noise reduction processing

Comments?
    Is it worth to change to 5700 ? Will there be a great difference in image quality besides all the points that you stated out ?
    I guess a couple of stuff u mentioned like uncomfortable to take portrait shots and weight, I think once you get used to it, it should be okay ? As for expensive accessories, I don't think its a problem to you since you already seem to possess most or all of them ? One thing F717 is better than a 5700, is the zoom ring which I find it more easier.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

My personal view :
    unless someone is really comfortable with the cam, he/she won't be able to capture the pictures he/she really wants...

"Comfortable" meaning having a totally natural feel when handling the cam.
    What you pointed out about getting used to the cam, I guess is pretty valid, but I prefer the cam to suit me instead of bringing myself to suit the cam.

Image quality wise, from what I've read so far, there isn't much difference. From the samples I've seen in DPReview, the pics taken by both cams look equally good, well, at least to me.

Accessories seem to be not cheap for the Nikon as well, though hands-on experience with Sony's TC and WA do prove that they are top-notch.

The zoom ring is definitely more convenient, but I have a tendency to brush against it accidentally, resulting in extra attempts to recompose shots.

I don't quite like the zoom buttons on the Sony though, and the original flower setup totally sucks (though it looks good).

Decisions, decisions...

My personal view :
    unless someone is really comfortable with the cam, he/she won't be able to capture the pictures he/she really wants...

"Comfortable" meaning having a totally natural feel when handling the cam.
    What you pointed out about getting used to the cam, I guess is pretty valid, but I prefer the cam to suit me instead of bringing myself to suit the cam.

Image quality wise, from what I've read so far, there isn't much difference. From the samples I've seen in DPReview, the pics taken by both cams look equally good, well, at least to me.

Accessories seem to be not cheap for the Nikon as well, though hands-on experience with Sony's TC and WA do prove that they are top-notch.

The zoom ring is definitely more convenient, but I have a tendency to brush against it accidentally, resulting in extra attempts to recompose shots.

I don't quite like the zoom buttons on the Sony though, and the original flower setup totally sucks (though it looks good).

Decisions, decisions...
    I guess every camera have their good and bads.. Hard to find one perfect one
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Originally posted by majere2sg
    I guess every camera have their good and bads.. Hard to find one perfect one
    Agreed. My colleagues ask me "why not just get a dslr?"
    However, for my present requirements, I don't need a bulky dslr for my casual pics.
    To me, other than great picture quality, there are many other factors that are important, like swivel lcd, small -> average form-factor, etc, etc...

Though no cam is perfect, as long as it suits your present needs and you are comfortable with it, stick to it. That's my theory loh.

I was in the exact situation months ago. Couldn't decide btw the F717 and the CP5700.

The inability of the CP5700 to focus in low light is a big disadvantage to me, as I have used a P&S camera before and when taking photos in the evenings or poorly-lit room, the camera could not get a lock.

I did not want a near 2K camera to have the same flaw.

And the other thing, that I considered it the lens.

Since, prosumer cameras cannot change lens, it is important that you get the camera with the lens that you want.

The right focal length, aperature range, quality...etc

The F717 has the widest aperature among the prosumer cameras at f/2.0, the only other prosumer to match it is the E-20P.
    It enables good low light performance.

Lens quality are on par, with the Nikkor ED lens verus the Carl Zeiss's Vario Sonnar lens. (went to www.zeiss.de to find out more abt the Vario Sonnar lens)

However, the F717 has a max shutter speed of 1/1000 while the CP5700 has a shutter speed of 1/4000. I tested the F717 at 1/1000 and it was able to freeze the buildings shot while inside a car traveling at 100km/h. so I guess that's fast enough for me.

The external flash support is one disadvantage of the F717, as it does not do TTL flash, it is not as "intelligent" as the CP5700 with a SB-80DX mounted.

MS PRO prices are very expensive as mentioned, but the storage media is a one-time investment purchase.

F717's battery life is superior to the CP5700 and it gives the remaining life in minutes which is better than a battery low bar indicator.

As for the feel, I prefer the F717 as I can hold the lens much like the way you hold the lens of a SLR and use the zoom ring to focus.

I dislike using the rocker switch "W and T" to zoom in and out.
    The feel for the CP5700 does not agree with me, and the telescoping lens, makes mounting filters not possible, unless you buy accessories.

The F717's night framing to compose shots in the dark is good, since the CP5700 does not even have AF-assist lamp.

The Hologram AF is useful in the dark.

The 2 main disadvantages, that I have to live with is the non-TTL flash and the expensive MS PRO.
    For the non-TTL flash, I have started to work around it but adjusting the shutter speed and aperature size to match the flash and have saved up for a MS PRO stick.

All cameras have their negatives, so long as you are aware of them when you buy it and is willing to live with it.

I agree that when using a camera, the "feel" is very important as if you are not comfortable with it, you will use it less often.

If you are able to, bring along a laptop with a mulit-reader.

Take some shots from the 7Hi, CP5700 and F717 and transfer them to the laptop and compare the results. Hold and feel the grip and handling of all the cameras before choosing one.

BTW, SONY also have 3rd party accessories like WA and TC which costs much less than the orinigals.
    Last edited by Winston; 20th May 2003 at 06:38 PM.

Would like to take this opportunately to thank my father, my mother... AHEM!

... I mean all who has contributed one way or the other in terms of opinions, experiences, comments, suggestions, etc.

Greatly appreciated!

I've decided to go ahead with the switch.

Deregistered

Nikonian++

I presumed you go the set from Marx ?

Originally posted by espn
    Nikonian++

I presumed you go the set from Marx ?
    Haven't got it, just asked him to reserve it for me.
    Once I "got rid" of my present system, then will rush over and snatch everything over.

glad to have you onboard...

Originally posted by Hobbes234
    Regret selling you my 72mm nd8 filter the other time liaoz...

Regret selling you my 72mm nd8 filter the other time liaoz...
    ok lah.. i keep lookout for you and see if anyone selling... let you know...

Originally posted by Hobbes234
    Now we have a Captain on the ship!

Fella, it's been nice to meet you. I will now tag the items RESERVED

Default Re: Re: Re: E10/E20

Originally posted by NorthernLights

FL40 may be a killer but it is not far from SB80DX or 550EX.

Sorry to say FL40 is expensive and has little resale value. SB80DX or 550EX are superb flash investment that can be use with DSLR should one wants to upgrade to Nikon or Canon.

Deregistered

For Fella's info...

SB-80DX

AP: $560 / $500 (no warranty cos import)
    CP: $520

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123