Thread: Xiamen / Shantou

Default Xiamen / Shantou

Dear All,

I will be making a short trip to Xiamen / Shantou sometime this year and I was wondering if anyone had any travel tips for these 2 locations?

Hotel/Accomodation recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers!
    WG

Default Re: Xiamen / Shantou

Anyone?

I went Shantou 15 years ago and I am sure today is very different so cannot advise u.
    I went Xiamen last year. Xiamen is very modern, clean and tidy, in China terms. U should be able to find many 4 stars hotels, the better ones I think are the ones near the coast. I chose to stay in the Xiamen University campus hostel (think of it as a budget hotel). If u intend to travel around and take photos, there are a few "must-go" places.
    - the Gulangyu island, something like a mixture of Macau+Malacca+Singapore Chinatown, prepare for the long climb up to the mountain top.
    - the fort and the park by the coast (forgot the name, many tourists there, got cannons made by Germans and nice view of the coast to Taiwan).
    - Nanputuo temple, old temple, near the Xiamen Uninversity entrance, there are some history behind and a lot of prayers around.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    I went Shantou 15 years ago and I am sure today is very different so cannot advise u.
    I went Xiamen last year. Xiamen is very modern, clean and tidy, in China terms. U should be able to find many 4 stars hotels, the better ones I think are the ones near the coast. I chose to stay in the Xiamen University campus hostel (think of it as a budget hotel). If u intend to travel around and take photos, there are a few "must-go" places.
    - the Gulangyu island, something like a mixture of Macau+Malacca+Singapore Chinatown, prepare for the long climb up to the mountain top.
    - the fort and the park by the coast (forgot the name, many tourists there, got cannons made by Germans and nice view of the coast to Taiwan).
    - Nanputuo temple, old temple, near the Xiamen Uninversity entrance, there are some history behind and a lot of prayers around.
    The fort is called hu li shan pou tai. It is near the Xiamen University. Last been there 4 years ago. Half a year in china can mean a lot of changes.

In Gulangyu, there are also antique steinway and sons piano exhibits.

If you are looking to shop there, I afraid that it is not as good as it used to be.

Cool.

Keep those tips & information coming...

May I know what are you looking forward for this trip. For scenery? To have a more in depth scope of the life of the people there? Or for some leisure and entertainment?

Cos seriously, if you are restricting yourself to Xiamen City only, I dun think there is much to see.

It would help if you can provide more on the duration of the trip