Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Air con remote controller replacement.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Air con remote controller replacement.

    Hello everyone.

    My SAMSUNG air con remote controller has refused to work. I am thinking of getting a third party replacement for it as ti would be cheaper. Anyone care to recommend/suggest a place where I can source for it at a competitive price?

    TIA.

  2. #2
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Hello everyone.

    My SAMSUNG air con remote controller has refused to work. I am thinking of getting a third party replacement for it as ti would be cheaper. Anyone care to recommend/suggest a place where I can source for it at a competitive price?

    TIA.
    getting a replacement from the manufature can be alot more costly but I have seen a lot of those electrical hardware shop at HDBs that selling compatible one that are able to work with various air con brands. I have seen many type sold at these shops. Prices from 16 to 30+. You have to look them over to see if the one you get support SAMSUNG aircon. If says it does then that is the one you buy. Suporting advance function like programming the timing etc...that might not work if it needs a LCD display to set the timing as all these compatible I saw ...has no display screen

    I also saw them at Challenger but they only sell like 1-2 models a few months back when I was searching for one for a lady friend.
    Last edited by sammy888; 2nd January 2008 at 04:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    sammy888, thanks for your insight. Helpful indeed.

    You are right. The lack of the LCD screen sure hampers the usability. For example, I would need to know what is the preset temperature during the operation.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    getting a replacement from the manufature can be alot more costly but I have seen a lot of those electrical hardware shop at HDBs that selling compatible one that are able to work with various air con brands. I have seen many type sold at these shops. Prices from 16 to 30+. You have to look them over to see if the one you get support SAMSUNG aircon. If says it does then that is the one you buy. Suporting advance function like programming the timing etc...that might not work if it needs a LCD display to set the timing as all these compatible I saw ...has no display screen

    I also saw them at Challenger but they only sell like 1-2 models a few months back when I was searching for one for a lady friend.
    SLT plenty of versions, i bought 1 i think 5 years ago, multiple channel selection aka, can use on practically any brand. with LCD etc... quite cheap too, think below 30.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    sammy888, thanks for your insight. Helpful indeed.

    You are right. The lack of the LCD screen sure hampers the usability. For example, I would need to know what is the preset temperature during the operation.
    well there are some aircon remote that does not have LCD but rely on have buttons that you click to set...you might find some of those same function in those 3rd party ones.

    Del_CtrlnoAlt has point out a good place to start. I have not gone there in a long while so I am not sure but knowing that place that is well know for electronic knick knacks...I am sure there will some models available there.

    I am walking to the MRT later let me see if the HDB shop that is near my route has any with a LCD or not. I recall this shop have like 20+ models hanging at the shop front. But some of them could also be TV remote too heheh.. Let's see.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    SLT plenty of versions, i bought 1 i think 5 years ago, multiple channel selection aka, can use on practically any brand. with LCD etc... quite cheap too, think below 30.
    DCA, thanks for pointing me to SLT. Will take a look there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    well there are some aircon remote that does not have LCD but rely on have buttons that you click to set...you might find some of those same function in those 3rd party ones.

    I am walking to the MRT later let me see if the HDB shop that is near my route has any with a LCD or not. I recall this shop have like 20+ models hanging at the shop front. But some of them could also be TV remote too heheh.. Let's see.
    Thanks sammy888. My present remote does have a LCD. I think that my father is also used to it already, hence, would like to get a replacement with one.

    Thanks for taking a look sammy888!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Hello everyone.

    My SAMSUNG air con remote controller has refused to work. I am thinking of getting a third party replacement for it as ti would be cheaper. Anyone care to recommend/suggest a place where I can source for it at a competitive price?

    TIA.
    My air-con (Carrier) remote also faulty one month ago. It lasted 9 years. Now I am using 3rd party remote and work flawlessly. I got it $16 at Toa Payoh shop near to KFC / DVD shops.
    Last edited by megaweb; 2nd January 2008 at 08:48 PM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  9. #9
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Thanks sammy888. My present remote does have a LCD. I think that my father is also used to it already, hence, would like to get a replacement with one.

    Thanks for taking a look sammy888!

    Goodnews... I saw two models with a LCD display.

    One is dedicated to Samsung 77 (saw it has a sticker on the plastic bag saying so) which cost $18. It can't be program for use with other brands. I am not sure what the "77" stands for...I guess a particular popular model?

    The other one is cheaper at $15. That one also have LCD display in fact a larger one with various segment. This one you can program as many as 20 brand types heh.. I saw two codes for Samsung on this one. Usually they don't categories the various models but from what I know they usually would work with the most common of feature or function.

    Shop owner as always is of no help heheh.. they just take this product in and then try to sell it with the minimum of fuss heheh..

    So just take note lah that there are models with LCD screen available so don't be too quick to buy one...where ever that may be.

    Worst come to the worst..I will tell you where this shop is. I have not check my own house ( Near Eunos MRT) heheh if there is a similar one...will let you know.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    My air-con (Carrier) remote also faulty one month ago. It lasted 9 years. Now I am using 3rd party remote and work flawlessly. I got it $16 at Toa Payoh shop near to KFC / DVD shops.
    Thanks for the information megaweb. I will look out for the area here in the East first. Much appreciated.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Thanks for the information megaweb. I will look out for the area here in the East first. Much appreciated.
    East ? Try Tampines street 11 round market stall outside on Sunday only or Tampines street 81 stall between Blk 826A and 828A any day.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  12. #12
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Goodnews... I saw two models with a LCD display.

    One is dedicated to Samsung 77 (saw it has a sticker on the plastic bag saying so) which cost $18. It can't be program for use with other brands. I am not sure what the "77" stands for...I guess a particular popular model?

    The other one is cheaper at $15. That one also have LCD display in fact a larger one with various segment. This one you can program as many as 20 brand types heh.. I saw two codes for Samsung on this one. Usually they don't categories the various models but from what I know they usually would work with the most common of feature or function.

    Shop owner as always is of no help heheh.. they just take this product in and then try to sell it with the minimum of fuss heheh..

    So just take note lah that there are models with LCD screen available so don't be too quick to buy one...where ever that may be.

    Worst come to the worst..I will tell you where this shop is. I have not check my own house ( Near Eunos MRT) heheh if there is a similar one...will let you know.
    sammy888, wah! That is good news indeed. With LCD display at a price of less than $20. I like!

    Thanks, Bro. Will let you know if I need the location from you. First need to check out the Tampines shop that megaweb suggested in his post above.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    East ? Try Tampines street 11 round market stall outside on Sunday only or Tampines street 81 stall between Blk 826A and 828A any day.
    Oh! Yes, I have Tampines in mind. Thanks for the locations, I will check it out.

  14. #14
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    DCA, thanks for pointing me to SLT. Will take a look there.
    hahaha yes, SLT. No need to bold red size 7.

    Did u check with Samsung? Ask them 1st as it might not be as costly as u think. An air-con remote is something that u might use daily, so investing in a better one will be a good idea.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    Hahhahaha. No need bold red size 7 fonts la Bro. Can see!

    Hhmmm, since you have suggested, I will e-mail to Samsung later to inquire about the price and availability. The reason why I did not approach Samsung first was that I would think that the controllers are pricey. That was why I was looking for 3rd party ones.

    Will update everyone here on Samsung's reply on the replacement remote.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    UPDATE: Samsung have replied to my inquiry on the availability of the remote controller by stating that the remote is already obsolete. Looks like 3rd. party remotes is the way to go.

    I have seen 3rd party remotes with LCD and timer control selling for $15.90 here in Tampines (central area). They are code programmable. That is the one which I am eyeing now.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Remote controller replacement. (now a query)

    When I was buying the remote control the other day, I was told by the seller to use ordinary batteries and not to use Energizer alkaline ones. (by that, I gathered that he meant the normal zinc carbon batteries) He said that "the Energizer has a higher voltage and will damage the controller." I then asked him if I could use rechargeable batteries, he said cannot also due to the higher voltage! There was another man close by at that time and he agrees that using alkaline will kill the controller, further stating that he has experienced it and have now reverted to 'ordinary' batteries.

    OK. Here is what I don't understand, both alkaline and zinc-carbon batteries have a voltage of 1.5V. Rechargeable ones are rated at 1.2V. So obviously, the voltage is not the factor in damaging the controllers. In fact, it never will be. So could the current emitted from the batteries that is the factor?

    Comments from fellow CS-ers here?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Remote controller replacement. (now a query)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post

    OK. Here is what I don't understand, both alkaline and zinc-carbon batteries have a voltage of 1.5V. Rechargeable ones are rated at 1.2V. So obviously, the voltage is not the factor in damaging the controllers. In fact, it never will be. So could the current emitted from the batteries that is the factor?

    Comments from fellow CS-ers here?
    I find using rechargable batteries for remote control is expensive and cannot last long due to the discharge.

    Get the batteries from those cheap sales shop (used to call $1 shop). A pair of AAA batteries cost around $1.20 only.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  19. #19
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Remote controller replacement. (now a query)

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    I find using rechargable batteries for remote control is expensive and cannot last long due to the discharge.

    Get the batteries from those cheap sales shop (used to call $1 shop). A pair of AAA batteries cost around $1.20 only.
    Thanks for the comment megaweb. Yes, batteries are cheap. But my question now will be why will alkalines kill the controllers?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Air con remote controller replacement.

    I know a shop in Chinatown in BKK. Full of remote controls for any thing. Very professional too You can find remote controls for things made in the 70s too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •