Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

  1. #1

    Default Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    Hi all,

    New here, just got a Nikon D40x Lens Kit

    Wondering what flash i should be looking at (for indoor shots) and lenses (zoom lens for outdoor) for future upgrades..

    Would be travelling to hongkong in end Jan and wondering could pick up something if the price is right.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In the East
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    SB800? top range flash for nikon...
    18-200VR which is a versatile lens with Vibration Reduction. (How i hope that canon produce one~)
    Canon 400D + 50L - Everyone was once a Noob

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by klayhead View Post
    Hi all,

    New here, just got a Nikon D40x Lens Kit

    Wondering what flash i should be looking at (for indoor shots) and lenses (zoom lens for outdoor) for future upgrades..

    Would be travelling to hongkong in end Jan and wondering could pick up something if the price is right.

    Thanks!
    For the D40X, I'd suggest either the SB-400 or SB-600. As for lenses wise, if you have the dough, do consider the top end lenses...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    thanks everyone!

    looked at some of the prices and don't really think its within budget since i just got my D40x kit..

    Is there anything specific to look out for when choosing a ext flashlight? Any reliable 3rd party flashlights for d40x?


    Many thanks

  5. #5
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    Speedlite - SB800 (u won't regret), SB600 (good for ur wallet)
    Lenses - Tamron 17-50f2.8, Nikon 70-300 VR, Nikon 60f2.8, Nikon 18-200

    For lenses choice, u have to decide for urself wat u normally shoot..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    SB600 should set me back by ard 330 in Hongkong(travelling end Jan)
    saw that SB200 is around 150 only

    are there significant differences? please elaborate

    thanks for all the trouble in replying, really appreciate it

  7. #7
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by klayhead View Post
    SB600 should set me back by ard 330 in Hongkong(travelling end Jan)
    saw that SB200 is around 150 only

    are there significant differences? please elaborate

    thanks for all the trouble in replying, really appreciate it
    is there a SB200?
    I tot Nikon speedlites oni SB400, SB600 and SB800..and some other older models before the digital age..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  8. #8
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    is there a SB200?
    I tot Nikon speedlites oni SB400, SB600 and SB800..and some other older models before the digital age..
    SB-(R)200 is the basic macro flash for R1C1. There is no other SB-200 flash that i know of ..

    Quote Originally Posted by klayhead View Post
    saw that SB200 is around 150 only
    For 150SGD it is really a steal!

    Ryan

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    And you need a commander to trigger it off... at least a SU-800 or SB-800
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #10

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by klayhead View Post
    thanks everyone!

    looked at some of the prices and don't really think its within budget since i just got my D40x kit..

    Is there anything specific to look out for when choosing a ext flashlight? Any reliable 3rd party flashlights for d40x?


    Many thanks

    Since you are using the kit, stay with it till you are sure what you want. If you are keen in photography in the long run, suggest you start saving and invest in a good lens... DSLR keeps upgraded periodically but a good top end lens will last you longer....

    As for the flashes, the Csers will be able to advise you accordingly. Suggest you dont rush into buying too many and expensive gears within a short span of time.

  11. #11
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    SB600 is a good investment..... if you think photography is for you, no harm stretching your budget and getting the SB600....

  12. #12

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    Get the SB600, I think it is good enough for people like us,still new I am getting one also,

  13. #13

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    Thanks to all for your inputs

    Travelling to HK end Jan..

    I found this prices:

    based on this website:
    http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?pa...ameraprice.htm
    SB600 cost HKD1750 > SGD322(approx)

    while this place
    http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/pr...roducts_id=275
    SB600 cost HKD1680 > SGD309(approx)



    For lenses, will be looking at a long term plan more than 2008 i guess, many thanks, hoping to take some nice pictures to post here soon

  14. #14

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    Hi,

    I got D40X and just bot SB-400 for its portability. Great results for casual indoor shots. S$190 only.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Flash & Lenses Recommendation for Newbie

    can share where u bought the SB400 from? thanks!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •