Thread: shutter speed and iso.

Default shutter speed and iso.

hi all.
    i'm jus a noob here.
    could somehow explain how to get brighter picture when i use shutter speed that are faster?
    mayb about 1/160? i often get picture that is quite dark. is there something that i can do other
    then increasing my iso or using flash? i think a good example of situation would be night racing?

my picture often seem to have lots of noise when i set the iso to 1600.

i m currently using canon 400d.

thanks.
    regards
    jason.

Default Re: shutter speed and iso.

use a faster lens?

if u gonna shoot at night, its either ISO, flash or aperture. not to mention tripod if u want sharp pics at low shutter speed.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwithcanon View Post
    hi all.
    i'm jus a noob here.
    could somehow explain how to get brighter picture when i use shutter speed that are faster?
    mayb about 1/160? i often get picture that is quite dark. is there something that i can do other
    then increasing my iso or using flash? i think a good example of situation would be night racing?

thanks.
    regards
    jason.
    try using a lens with bigger aperture..i.e. f/2.8, f/1.8, f/1.4, f1.2..
    but this is not a sure work method..it really depends on how dark or bright the environment is..and for racing, i think flashing the contestants not really advisable, and may not be allowed in some sports..

1 alternative is u might want to try panning shots which allows u to use a not so fast shutter speed..and can oso see motion blur of the background which tells that the subject is moving..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Which mode do you shoot in?

Like what flipfreak said, get a fast lens.
    I shoot film.

faster lens will be the answer.. i dun like high ISOs also.. but sometimes can't avoid it.. haha.. (like a lesson learnt recently).. a competition between a dark and underexposed shot vs blurry shot vs noisy shot.. -.-

faster lens are generally more expensive though.. other than the more affordable primes like 50mm f/1.8..

if you want to capture some motion.. google / read up on "panning".. will be very useful for your "night races"..

Quote Originally Posted by unseenshadows View Post
    Which mode do you shoot in?

Like what flipfreak said, get a fast lens.
    i normally shoot in TV mode. so that i can choose the shutter speed and my picture will not be blur without tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwithcanon View Post
    hi all.
    i'm jus a noob here.

thanks.
    regards
    jason.
    Try shooting in the daytime. This is how bright it's gonna be for the F1 races. And you'll get much better speeds with a lower ISO setting as well. But note that the shutter speed, ISO and aperture are all interlinked. They affect one another.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site