Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 233

Thread: Don't waste your time with KFC

  1. #161

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    YUP!... early 80s to early 90s. It never really got off the ground. Maybe due to lack of funds to expand as oppose to MacD and KFC which was opening units every few months since their franchise owners has more deep pockets. Actually a number of fast food joints tried to make it here previously when the fast food trend was hot locally. Long John died and came back again..so did Orange Julian, Subway..etc But the dominating numbers of KFC and MAcD now just makes it almost impossible for any of these or other newer brand to get a strong foot hold now.

    I have not been to Far East Plaza now so I am not sure but if you see a MacDonald at the basement level...that is where Wendy was located previously.
    ah...its odd that wendy's corporate didn't pump more money into their entry here...but then again i guess they thought it wasn't worth it. they're #2 in the us behind MacD's...only burger joint i know of that puts mayo in their cheeseburgers...

  2. #162

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarachin8 View Post
    This is some funny post.... lol
    hang around longer and you'll see more

  3. #163
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    ah...its odd that wendy's corporate didn't pump more money into their entry here...but then again i guess they thought it wasn't worth it. they're #2 in the us behind MacD's...only burger joint i know of that puts mayo in their cheeseburgers...
    It's a franchise thingy lah. That means this has nothing to do with Wendy HQ in the US as per say but the local company who paid to take on the franchise to set up outlets here. The same goes for KFC and MacD..they are not really the US companies that came here to set them up....it's local companies that bought into the franchise rights that set them up here. I am almost certain they are still doing it this way as a mean of expanding their business and brand as oppose to actually setting up shop themselves without enough knowledge of the lay of the land. This way local partners with the local knwn-how and experince takes most of the risk to make it work. And if it fails..the US HQ does not lose everything and maybe someone else would take the franchise up. Which was what happen to one example which is Long John Silver. The franchise has been taken up and failed twice before a third company took it up and are still surviving today if I am not wrong about it being the 3rd time "lucky"

    But getting a good franchise these days is alot harder then it was now. Most of the good ones are already taken up or the brand owners themselves would be expending here in Asia on their own. End of the day, it is all about the money heheh...

  4. #164

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    It's a franchise thingy lah. That means this has nothing to do with Wendy HQ in the US as per say but the local company who paid to take on the franchise to set up outlets here. The same goes for KFC and MacD..they are not really the US companies that came here to set them up....it's local companies that bought into the franchise rights that set them up here. I am almost certain they are still doing it this way as a mean of expanding their business and brand as oppose to actually setting up shop themselves without enough knowledge of the lay of the land. This way local partners with the local knwn-how and experince takes most of the risk to make it work. And if it fails..the US HQ does not lose everything and maybe someone else would take the franchise up. Which was what happen to one example which is Long John Silver. The franchise has been taken up and failed twice before a third company took it up and are still surviving today if I am not wrong about it being the 3rd time "lucky"

    But getting a good franchise these days is alot harder then it was now. Most of the good ones are already taken up or the brand owners themselves would be expending here in Asia on their own. End of the day, it is all about the money heheh...
    yea i know its franchising. but my point is that if wendy's corporate really wanted to expand their brand into outside the us then they could have pumped some money into the local franchise to as a beachhead to better compete against their traditional rivals. All that just depended on what they wanted to do and i guess they didn't want to tap the asian market. LJS isn't doing very well in the states as well, they've done what kfc has done here and "merged" with other fast food joints such as AnW there. Did you know LJS is not even in Canada? and man did i never care for their chicken...tuff as cardboard. the fish, fries, shrimp and pies on the other hand
    Last edited by garou12; 28th January 2008 at 01:18 PM.

  5. #165
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    yea i know its franchising. but my point is that if wendy's corporate really wanted to expand their brand into outside the us then they could have pumped some money into the local franchise to as a beachhead to better compete against their traditional rivals. All that just depended on what they wanted to do and i guess they didn't want to tap the asian market. LJS isn't doing very well in the states as well, they've done what kfc has done here and "merged" with other fast food joints such as AnW there. Did you know LJS is not even in Canada? and man did i never care for their chicken...tuff as cardboard. the fish, fries, shrimp and pies on the other hand
    well ya I guess Wendy USA was just happy to be doing well in the US and see little need to venture beyond their own shore. Business foresight? Well this was in the 80s so maybe expansion is not every giant corporation's cup of tea then. If they want to do that today...it would be very very hard. The big brands you see already here like KFC and MAcD are too entrenched and numerous to compete with. I have LJS ner my place when I take my MRT Tiong Bahru Plaza and I don;t even venture in to get anything now. Last time I ate at the one near Cathay Cinema was like 6 yrs back heheh...

    IN recent years in fact..I find KFC in JB or KL to taste better then Singapore's hahaha.... yes small chicken too but it taste better for some reason.

  6. #166

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    I finally took the plunge, drove down to T3 to try out Popeye's.

    In my opinion, the chicken tasted better than KFC, the fries and whipped potato was really good too. Have not tried the other stuff on the menu, but I am almost sure I will be there again within the next fortnight.

    Down with KFC!

  7. #167
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    2,324

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    I finally took the plunge, drove down to T3 to try out Popeye's.

    In my opinion, the chicken tasted better than KFC, the fries and whipped potato was really good too. Have not tried the other stuff on the menu, but I am almost sure I will be there again within the next fortnight.

    Down with KFC!
    got popeye's chicken here? I must admit their chicken is good...!!

  8. #168
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Went to Popeye's on Friday. Wah! The size of the chicken also have shrunken leh...

  9. #169
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Went to Popeye's on Friday. Wah! The size of the chicken also have shrunken leh...
    Maybe they saw what KFC can get away with thus they follow suit lor hahahahah...

  10. #170
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Maybe they saw what KFC can get away with thus they follow suit lor hahahahah...
    Hopefully, it is a one-off incident. Will go there again next time. Then will see how...

  11. #171

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    I am a fan of Popeye since my U days in Canada. Was so happy when I found them hiding in T1 a couple years ago, or was it in T2 then...hee. Ya, Popeye had shrunken since last year. Used to get bigger chicken plus 2 side dish and the biscuit. Now one side dish only. The chicken also shrunken from 2 large pieces to now one large and one tiny. But still enough to fill me up. Recently went to T3 Popeye. Saw that there was Cajun rice on their menu but not selling yet. Hope they bring that in and accepted by the people here. The T3 biscuits seems much better than what T1 used to offer. Nearer to the one I got in Canada.

  12. #172

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Not sure.... Breast/wing/rib meat is harder, more muscular. Thigh is more tender.
    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    do they still use the leg meat or are they using breast meat now for those?
    Oh boys, they never really used either that much.

    Unlike some manufacturers, he won't use more skin than that, and he won't use mechanically recovered meat (MRM), which is obtained by pushing the carcass through a giant teabag-like screen to produce a slurry of protein, then bound back together with polyphosphates and gums.
    Like much of our diet today, the nugget is processed so highly that its taste and texture depend as much on engineering and additives as on any raw ingredients, making it an easy way to disguise cheap or adulterated food.
    But the trouble is, once you've minced bits of a chicken to a pulp, that pulp could be anything from anywhere. With other manufacturers, sometimes it is. Recycled pet food, breasts injected with pig and cattle proteins, banned carcinogenic antibiotics - they've all been found by the authorities recently in chicken destined for processing.
    All this talk of KFC though has made me hungry.

  13. #173

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by cairocks View Post
    I am a fan of Popeye since my U days in Canada. Was so happy when I found them hiding in T1 a couple years ago, or was it in T2 then...hee. Ya, Popeye had shrunken since last year. Used to get bigger chicken plus 2 side dish and the biscuit. Now one side dish only. The chicken also shrunken from 2 large pieces to now one large and one tiny. But still enough to fill me up. Recently went to T3 Popeye. Saw that there was Cajun rice on their menu but not selling yet. Hope they bring that in and accepted by the people here. The T3 biscuits seems much better than what T1 used to offer. Nearer to the one I got in Canada.
    they have popeye's in canada now? for canada i have found that A&W's chubby chicken is sooooo much better than kfc...i always have at least 1 bucket whenever i'm in canada!

  14. #174

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by thedellis View Post
    Oh boys, they never really used either that much.







    All this talk of KFC though has made me hungry.
    the same kind of things can be said about sausages...so your point is?

  15. #175

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    the same kind of things can be said about sausages...so your point is?
    Point was there's little actual breast or leg meat in nuggets. Can't say I ever thought of sausages as being filled with meat though.

    And aside from all of this, just placed my KFC home delivery order.

  16. #176

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by thedellis View Post
    Point was there's little actual breast or leg meat in nuggets. Can't say I ever thought of sausages as being filled with meat though.

    And aside from all of this, just placed my KFC home delivery order.
    haha enjoy your shrunken chicken

  17. #177
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by cairocks View Post
    I am a fan of Popeye since my U days in Canada. Was so happy when I found them hiding in T1 a couple years ago, or was it in T2 then...hee. Ya, Popeye had shrunken since last year. Used to get bigger chicken plus 2 side dish and the biscuit. Now one side dish only. The chicken also shrunken from 2 large pieces to now one large and one tiny. But still enough to fill me up. Recently went to T3 Popeye. Saw that there was Cajun rice on their menu but not selling yet. Hope they bring that in and accepted by the people here. The T3 biscuits seems much better than what T1 used to offer. Nearer to the one I got in Canada.
    Interesting......the only Popeye that I got was a 1999 shot with my coolpix 800 when I was at New Orleans They have the dirty rice go with the chicken....yummy

    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 3rd February 2008 at 08:24 PM.

  18. #178

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    they have popeye's in canada now? for canada i have found that A&W's chubby chicken is sooooo much better than kfc...i always have at least 1 bucket whenever i'm in canada!
    They use to have one on Yonge Street, Toronto, somewhere on the stretch opposite Eaton Center. Left Canada many years already, so for me is I don't know if they are still there.

    Edited cus I mixed up the street names...:P
    Last edited by cairocks; 3rd February 2008 at 09:02 PM.

  19. #179
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    well ya I guess Wendy USA was just happy to be doing well in the US and see little need to venture beyond their own shore. Business foresight? Well this was in the 80s so maybe expansion is not every giant corporation's cup of tea then. If they want to do that today...it would be very very hard. The big brands you see already here like KFC and MAcD are too entrenched and numerous to compete with. I have LJS ner my place when I take my MRT Tiong Bahru Plaza and I don;t even venture in to get anything now. Last time I ate at the one near Cathay Cinema was like 6 yrs back heheh...

    IN recent years in fact..I find KFC in JB or KL to taste better then Singapore's hahaha.... yes small chicken too but it taste better for some reason.
    Agree.
    Mac and KFC have taken deep roots in many countries and for wendy USA to veture beyond her mother land,it is certain she needs very strong market deveopment and diversification.


    Btw,KFC chicken are so tiny these recent years.
    No more drumlets anymore,just zinger meal

  20. #180
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Don't waste your time with KFC

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Interesting......the only Popeye that I got was a 1999 shot with my coolpix 800 when I was at New Orleans They have the dirty rice go with the chicken....yummy

    The chocolate girl seems to be Staring at u

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •