Thread: Fireworks & Night Shots

Smile Fireworks & Night Shots

Hello All If you are going to take pictures tonie or in the future of fireworks and night sences n wondering what settings and equipments to use, here are some

you'll need a tripod, a black card, remote shutter release, a zoom lense ( i use the 75-300 zoom lense ) , of course r camera and bring extra memory cards and battery packs

The settings, 1) Low ISO ( maybe set it to 80 - 100)(* applies for diffrent DSLRs)
    2) F/5.6
    3) ensure ur flash is off
    4) manual focus ( pls remember to re-focus after every shot)

Black Card!!
    it is jux an ordinary piece of black card

method..

after every explosion place the black card infront of ur lense thn take it away..

well bring an umberella too haha...

well this is the very basic if you have queries jux pm me..

Default Re: Fireworks & Night Shots

ISO 100 F/5.6 will make the fireworks trails too white (and looses color) and smoke too obvious.

ouh and also good luck =) the first few shoots wun be that satisfying bt still try try try!! i tried many times till i succeed so if i, a 14-year old can do so can u!! haha

good luck!!

ouh u got it wrong.. i have taken my pictures with the setings it works well do wateva u want i'm jux giving some advice..

Quote Originally Posted by faaiz View Post
    ouh and also good luck =) the first few shoots wun be that satisfying bt still try try try!! i tried many times till i succeed so if i, a 14-year old can do so can u!! haha

good luck!!
    Care to pose the pic for us to enjoy ? If really good, must give credit/praise to you for being a talent. Not many, even among adults.

I just say, PRAY FOR NO SMOKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by faaiz View Post
    Hello All If you are going to take pictures tonie or in the future of fireworks and night sences n wondering what settings and equipments to use, here are some

you'll need a tripod, a black card, remote shutter release, a zoom lense ( i use the 75-300 zoom lense ) , of course r camera and bring extra memory cards and battery packs

The settings, 1) Low ISO ( maybe set it to 80 - 100)(* applies for diffrent DSLRs)
    2) F/5.6
    3) ensure ur flash is off
    4) manual focus ( pls remember to re-focus after every shot)

Black Card!!
    it is jux an ordinary piece of black card

method..

after every explosion place the black card infront of ur lense thn take it away..

well bring an umberella too haha...

well this is the very basic if you have queries jux pm me..
    WOW ... I was about to post a question but you replied it before I can post !!!
    lolx ... Thanks Bro ...

WOw i am new ... so 14 year old ... whats the black card for?
    Newbie with a D80 Kit

Quote Originally Posted by freezemaster View Post
    WOw i am new ... so 14 year old ... whats the black card for?
    Same here... was wondering what is the rational of using the black card after each explosion...
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

to prevent glare or reflection..

n my pics r too large to post creating a photobucket acct.

so aft. i cr8 my acct. i'll post

blackcard is used to prevent excess exposure of the scene. think of it as a shutter.

here's my method of shooting:
    1) figure out the exposure for the scene (assuming you want to include buildings and such) i'd try to get a shutterspeed to 5-10sec at f8-f11. iso under 400. So i usually set my cam to shutter priority and then play with iso and aperture.

2) once i've figured out the settings, i put the cam into manual and put in the settings. use autofocus on the buildings and when it's focused set it to manual. (make sure cam is on tripod)

3) now when the fireworks are shooting release the shutter. after each explosion cover lens with black card. then remove black card at the start of the next explosion

some things to play around with.
    1) shutter speed - this will let you capture more fireworks on the same image or less fireworks. be sure not to try to capture too many or your sky will just look really crazy. you also dont want the shutterspeed to be too long or the smoke will expose as well.
    2) when you use the black card - depending on when you remove or put back the black card you can capture different parts of the explosion

best way to learn is to just go out and do it. have fun shooting!

haha yeap you can do youe wae it's w same..haha
    Photography & Audiophile Addict :lovegrin:

Happy New Year!!!!
    Photography & Audiophile Addict :lovegrin:

f5.6?

can bump up higher lah to 8 or 16!

Just a piece of summary to help those who're confused after so many posts in this thread. a little late though.

Technicalities:
    - Tripod
    not really much of in-camera setting, but it is more or less a MUST unless you have some other creative ideas.

- Low/Lowest ISO
    low noise and to allow longer exposure for fireworks bursts

- Small aperture - Preferably f8 or smaller
    stop down lens for sharper image output and to allow longer exposure for fireworks bursts

- Shutter Speed - Long exposure, preferably bulb mode
    why long exposure?
    to capture fireworks trails and bursts
    why bulb?
    1. bulb mode would offer more control for the photographer as to which fireworks bursts to include in the frame
    2. certain segments of the fireworks will allow much longer exposure, bulb mode allows manipulation of shutter speed instantly (e.g. 10 secs & above)
    3. towards the end of the fireworks usually, bursts seems to be more intense. same as the above mentioned, it helps to save your photo from being overexposed

- Manual Focus
    infinity.
    SOME lenses does not state focus distance, so you can't figure out whether it's at infinity or not. just AF to any structure further away, and set to MF if desired

- Flash Off
    unless you're exposing objects which your flash can reach (e.g. portrait with fireworks background)

Composition:
    - Fill the frame
    try not to have too much empty spaces

- Structures, Buildings & Skyline
    include the above mentioned in the frame, so as to make the frame more interesting. even boats on the river are considered structures that'll improve the composition

- Telephoto
    who says you can't achieve interesting photo on the telephoto side?

Advanced Techniques:
    - Black Card
    1. similar to usage of bulb mode, but more towards control of the lens instead of in-camera settings adjustment
    2. allow exposure of structures around the fireworks well before the fireworks bursts
    3. allow creative exposures

Preparation for event/After event:
    - Bring torch if necessary in event it's too dark to even meddle of your camera
    - Go early, you deserve the best spot if you've done so. else, do not squeeze your way in between those who deserves the spot which will hinder the deserving photographers
    - Bring some drinks and snacks, but don't drink too much towards the start of event, as toilets may be pretty inaccessible due to crowds
    - In case of wet whether, umbrella and protective cases would be good for your camera
    - Check your equipment before and after the event, especially when you're leaving your house
    - Expect that viewers will stand up, choose your best spot wisely
    - Secure your camera well on the tripod
    - Don't litter, clear up the area after the event
    - Don't swing your tripod around when carrying it on your back, it might hit someone when in the crowd

After a few years of shooting fireworks events, i guess that is all i can conclude and share with the rest of the photographers here. if i've missed out anything, do add on to it. cheers