Thread: Fungus Prevention?

Default Fungus Prevention?

I noticed that the cameras and lens on display (in the glass cabinet) at CP has a wine glass with some liquid in it. Anybody knows the reason behind this?
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Default Re: Fungus Prevention?

The lighting creates warm showcases and thus are not good for the products place in them like gemstones, electronic stuff and even photographic gear. Humidity levels can create some surface to lost lustre or tarnish...etc. The small glass of water placed inside the display can in a way balance the dryness caused by the lights.

Another reason can also be due to feng shui and that usually would mean it being place at specific locations of the showcase interior or even exterior.

So I guess you can combine both to maximise both durability and money at the same time heheheh
    Last edited by sammy888; 31st December 2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Sammy,
    I suspected it has something to do to increase the humidity but never thought that those lights are the ones keeping the humidity low.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Spot light gives out very high temperature thus causing damage to the products inside, so the RH% in there will be very very low, some more in an Air-con and very dry environment
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

during my time in army, they used to install a 5w bulb in a metal cabinet which store the optical equipments, this is the cheap way of DIY dry cabinet.

in camera shops, all are installed with air con, plus the display cabinet with down lights, those camera and lenses will become super dry.

so need some water to maintain the humidity.

Hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Probably it's also the heat that inhibits fungal growth... but I wouldn't recommend putting your stuff in heaty places. The lubricant grease, and oils in the rubbers will degrade or evaporate faster.