Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    can try getting rid of your phobia in little india

they love to have their photos taken
    a nice smile in advance will do the trick
    don't hide here and hide there

go up to them and smile, talk and shoot
    hey hi thx. Will work on it.

Default Re: I can't approach people!

do you need to ask? mayb...but sometimes...there's no need to ask.
    and if you think, that's stealing and lacked 'human appreciation' than that's your opinion lah.

for me...i've yet to ask anyone anything yet. from the example below, you can guess
    where i was and how far i was from the subject. Both instances, i looked thru the viewfinder,
    and shot a few times.

it's just how comfortable you are with yourself.

in the mrt with slr

in the bus with dslr
    Last edited by khairi; 31st December 2007 at 12:48 PM.

simple to sae that you are jux obeying the rules set by the LTA that no pictures in the train and at the station..

I too had problems shooting candids on people I don't know. So far I've manage to sum up my nerves no snap some kids. It's been quite welcoming so far. Normally it's a snap and followed by a smile to the parents and thus far all of them smile back at me.

Next step will be adults and old folks.... wish me good luck!!
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Quote Originally Posted by faaiz View Post
    simple to sae that you are jux obeying the rules set by the LTA that no pictures in the train and at the station..
    is there such a rule?

Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    I too had problems shooting candids on people I don't know. So far I've manage to sum up my nerves no snap some kids. It's been quite welcoming so far. Normally it's a snap and followed by a smile to the parents and thus far all of them smile back at me.

Next step will be adults and old folks.... wish me good luck!!
    i gotta learn from your experience definitely.. am phobic of shooting strangers.. lol..

Quote Originally Posted by sathea View Post
    is there such a rule?
    as far as i know there are generally such rules for rail transport.. maybe just not so enforced in singapore??! (correct me if i'm wrong)

i've been shouted at when i took photos while taking the metro at the station in delhi back then with my pns though..

i think perhaps the most diff age group to capture are the teenagers? esp school girls and girls out with their gf those kind. children and kids are still rather ok for me, so are old ppl. but i try to stay away from tt age group though sometimes can find potential shots, later they think im some pervert die~
    Canon 400D / Rebel XTi Gripped EFS 17-85mm / 50mm f/1.8
    http://jerryyang.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by sathea View Post
    is there such a rule?

yea there is, i tried shooting the railway at woodlands, immediatly tio caught and was told to remove all pics of it, says its sensitive issues.
    Canon 400D / Rebel XTi Gripped EFS 17-85mm / 50mm f/1.8
    http://jerryyang.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by khairi View Post
    and if you think, that's stealing and lacked 'human appreciation' than that's your opinion lah.

for me...i've yet to ask anyone anything yet. from the example below, you can guess
    where i was and how far i was from the subject. Both instances, i looked thru the viewfinder,
    and shot a few times.

in the mrt with slr
    usually i try not to ask if possible too
    oh and btw, is that dust in ur sensor or smth like tt?

to ts: use a tele lens, then get some1 to stand close to the lens, or put smth near the lens, like ur taking a pic of it

then zoom in on watever u want to take

otherwise gesture with ur cam as if asking 'can i take a pic'
    most ppl would let u do so, but usually its better to take pics of ppl in their natural pose

also be careful abt taking pics at shops - ask the shop owner cos some ppl will get really
    Last edited by 2.8photography; 2nd January 2008 at 06:48 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

hehe, and after that use recovery program

Some of these enforcement officials overstep their authority though, but most of our quiet obedient citizens tend to just follow when it sounds "official".

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySH View Post
    yea there is, i tried shooting the railway at woodlands, immediatly tio caught and was told to remove all pics of it, says its sensitive issues.

I agree. Take more streetshoots of people and you'd build that confidence. I find most people wouldn't mind.. except once, my architect friend happened to take pics of paya lebar MRT (he's working on that project), then this lady suddenly approached him, kept demanding that he delete the pic of 'her', or Jehovah would 'smite' him. Haha..

Just tell yourself: "I'm invisible." And it will happen.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=21331

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    Just tell yourself: "I'm invisible." And it will happen.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=21331
    Hee..PNS right? If it's a DSLR then maybe it tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by khairi View Post

and shot a few times.

in the mrt with slr

in the bus with dslr
    Hmm the 2nd photo. How did you shoot it? It seems like you turned back and just shot using a standard zoom for courage if it's so.

S'poreans are naturally "kiasi" in nature. Very suspicious of people holding cameras, especially in heartland areas. I don't bother approaching people. In fact, that's why I don't like people photography.

However, if I had to, I would opt for the discreet option. Either shoot from the hip, partially hidden camera or use long zoom.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Not sensor dust I think... it's scratches on the film.

Don't think too much , this is what i do : Hold the camera in the hand or sling on the shoulder when walking , when see interesting subject previsualize the image, frame in the head , when the moment come raise the camera and take it, may be adjust a bit ,or you can frame and wait for people to walk in the frame. If they look at you just smile , dont need to wave ur hand nor look down, if the subject look threatening then avoid eyes contact, people usually dont start talking to you if dont have eye contact with you. You have to believe in what you doing, and know that taking photo is not something wrong.

Ask yrself whats yr motive and purpose when doing so , shoot it if only u are comfortable in doing it and u think u deserve that shot..............

If u are not comfortable, why force yrself into shooting it ? It means u don't even need that scene and its not the right time for u to engage it ... YET .

I think what's mentioned here is newbie like me would like to take brilliant 'expressional' shots similar to those posted here in CS. Some shots had created envy that newbies would like to try to achieve but like anything else, we sometimes need to take a leap of faith and overcome our phobia. Once that done, then we can gauge what are the shots that are worthwhile taking. For me, I would try to overcome my fear, and just take photos of strangers (if and when that happens)... and still have the phobia of taking strangers still present.... then I'll definately would avoid such scenes. I guess this is just 'mind over matter' which we just have to go thru.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Quote Originally Posted by S11loop View Post
    Ask yrself whats yr motive and purpose when doing so , shoot it if only u are comfortable in doing it and u think u deserve that shot..............

If u are not comfortable, why force yrself into shooting it ? It means u don't even need that scene and its not the right time for u to engage it ... YET .
    that's a good thing to ask if you are a careful shooter...

but if you are not...then you'd shoot watever that interest you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast