Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! My Favourite Carrot Cake!

Default Re: Help! My Favourite Carrot Cake!

Hi yqt, thanks for your tips. I like the idea of viewing it lifeszie on the monitor. Will give it a try.

BTW, the 8R will be sticked onto the glass cabinet right infront of the stall.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    you are right, for food shots meant for the purpose of advertising what you're selling, the image should be as close as possible to the original. You can style it so that it look nicer but the basic look must still be there, ie meshed up/small slice carrot cake must be shown to be meshed up/small slice carrot cake, big slice carrot cake must look like big slice carrot cake. It don't matter what other people sell or how carrot cake should look like. The only concern is to tell others what you are selling, how your carrot cake look like, not how a carrot cake should look like. Of course, you can try to improve the look by lighting it to show some highlight, add a nice plate, bring out the different colour elements ( white from the carrot cake, slight browning from the egg white, yellow from the egg yoke, red from the chillie, green from the chopped spring onions, etc ), add some smoke/steam, basically make it look pipping hot, nice and tasty.

To close up or not to close up:
    First, basic question, where is the image going to be place and where is the image going to be view.

Going by the 8R size, the max distance it can be view clearly from is about 15 ft.
    Base on 8R if you were to show the whole plate, the piece of carrot cake it self will be about 10 to 15mm. Try to think what 10 to 15mm will look like from 15 feet. I would not be suprised if it look a little like a plate of fried kway tiow.
    If you were to do a close up of the plate, ie showabout 1/2 of the dish, the size of the same piece of carrot cake itself would have incress in size to about 20 to 30mm. Double the size. Try it on your monitor screen.
    Cropped full plate, enlarge to full screen size, stand about 10 to 15 feet away and see the image.
    Same image, cropped in tighter to about 1/2 of the dish. enlarge to full screen size, stand about 10 to 15 feet away.
    See the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Hi yqt, thanks for your tips. I like the idea of viewing it lifeszie on the monitor. Will give it a try.

BTW, the 8R will be sticked onto the glass cabinet right infront of the stall.
    You're welcome.
    If the image will be sticked on the glass cabinet in front of the stall, you may want to note the following:
    1) Image should be above 1.8m. You don't want people who are "Q"ing to block the photo and no one can see it.
    2) As it's a print and not a back lighted trans. make sure it's stacked on a place well lighted. Too dark and no one will know what it is.
    3 ) Get it hot lam. on both sides. Printed photos will not last long so near heat, oil and daily cleaning.

Cheers.
    Last edited by yqt; 5th January 2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo errorrrrr
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Thanks again for the extra tips. I will convey these tips to the shop owner.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    You're welcome.
    If the image will be sticked on the glass cabinet in front of the stall, you may want to note the following:
    1) Image should be above 1.8m. You don't want people who are "Q"ing to block the photo and no one can see it.
    2) As it's a print and not a back lighted trans. make sure it's stacked on a place well lighted. Too dark and no one will know what it is.
    3 ) Get it hot lam. on both sides. Printed photos will not last long so near heat, oil and daily cleaning.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12