Thread: Canon 17-40 or Tamron 17-50

Default Canon 17-40 or Tamron 17-50

I currently owned a Canon 17-40L. I'm thinking of switching it to Tamron 17-50, as the savings could go into purchasing a macro lens. My concern is what better solutions?

1) Hold on to the 17-40, and get a Sigma 105mm macro lens;
    2) Switch to 17-50 f2.8, and get a Tamron 90mm macro lens;

I intend to get macro lens for product photo shoot. Feasible distance maybe around 50-60mm, but i'm also keen to extend the distance for insect shooting. Really in a dilemma cos must set budget aside.

Macro lens in considerations are: Canon EF-S 60mm, 100mm, Tamron 90mm & Sigma 105mm.

I'm not an expert, still exploring my skills and not a heavy user. Pls advise.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.

Default Re: Canon 17-40 or Tamron 17-50

Quote Originally Posted by tc811 View Post
    I currently owned a Canon 17-40L. I'm thinking of switching it to Tamron 17-50, as the savings could go into purchasing a macro lens. My concern is what better solutions?

1) Hold on to the 17-40, and get a Sigma 105mm macro lens;
    2) Switch to 17-50 f2.8, and get a Tamron 90mm macro lens;

I intend to get macro lens for product photo shoot. Feasible distance maybe around 50-60mm, but i'm also keen to extend the distance for insect shooting. Really in a dilemma cos must set budget aside.

Macro lens in considerations are: Canon EF-S 60mm, 100mm, Tamron 90mm & Sigma 105mm.

I'm not an expert, still exploring my skills and not a heavy user. Pls advise.
    Actually if you're using a cropped sensor dslr, i think a 60mm macro is prb better for product shoots. I'm using the tamron 90mm on a nikon d50, and i find the working distance abit too long for my liking.

That said, if you intend to shoot insects as well, you'll probably appreciate the longer working distance.

Product shoots and shooting insects are different, and require different working distance. I had the Nikon 60mm f/2.8, which was great to shoot stills and product, but the working distance was too close to shoot insects.

Before you do all these changes in lenses, why don't you try buying a close-up filter for your current lens and see if it is satisfactory for your product shots. A close-up filter will affect the IQ, but if it is sufficient for what you need for product shoot, that would be an option. Then if you want to shoot insects, you can get the 90mm Tamron, or the 150mm Sigma, depending on your working distance you need.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    Actually if you're using a cropped sensor dslr, i think a 60mm macro is prb better for product shoots. I'm using the tamron 90mm on a nikon d50, and i find the working distance abit too long for my liking.

That said, if you intend to shoot insects as well, you'll probably appreciate the longer working distance.
    But how abt the swapping of the WA lens? I'm considering due to the f2.8. But quite worried of the image quality and AF. Heard comments on slow AF and CA with this lens.
    Canon 7D, Fujifilm X-T1, 70-200IS f4L, 17-55 f2.8, G12, Fujifilm 23mm, 35mm & 18-55mm.