Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Choosing tripod

  1. #1

    Default Choosing tripod

    Hi,

    I'm new here. Recently i just got my 400D and did a couple of shots and i'm convince i should get a tripod. But how to choose a suitable tripod and the head? Should i choose one that matches my height (which is 1.8m)?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Dear tatsit,

    invest in a good and stable tripod, and you can use it for a long long time. Good brands like Gitzo and Manfrotto are worth the investment. Save up a little and get the carbon-fibre legs, it will be lighter to carry.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Hi,

    How about benro? What about the max operating height, should i choose one that matches my height? If it doesnt, how should i go about taking photos if its so short?

    Thanks

  4. #4

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by tatsit View Post
    Hi,

    I'm new here. Recently i just got my 400D and did a couple of shots and i'm convince i should get a tripod. But how to choose a suitable tripod and the head? Should i choose one that matches my height (which is 1.8m)?

    Thanks
    the tripod doesnt have to match your ht because u dun always shoot at your eye level. if u are shooting ppl, it will be at their eye level or thereabouts. if u shooting landscape, it could be ultra low too.

    but having said that, its better to have one that can reach your ht without extending the centre column for maximum stability than one that has to raise the centre column.

    those that do, are usually more ex or more heavy or both.

    i'm 1.8 as well and i am considering selling off my current tripod to get a gitzo one.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    my personal opinion,

    unless you shoot with tripod extensively, otherwise might want to consider Benro CF tripod.

    But, Benro CF or other brand, dont expect such tripods to be very light because the ball head itself contributes a lot to the total weight. Hope my perception is correct.

    I paid about S$400 for a Benro. So far quite happy with its functionality and reliability after having brought it along for three overseas trips.

    My rationale of buying Benro was that, even if I have to write off the entire tripod for whatever unforeseen reason, the most I lose about S$400. If I get a reputable tripod, I will lose the same amount if not more if I have to sell it as second hand.

    Again, this is my personal opinion, and hope did not confuse your thoughts.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    the tripod doesnt have to match your ht because u dun always shoot at your eye level. if u are shooting ppl, it will be at their eye level or thereabouts. if u shooting landscape, it could be ultra low too.

    but having said that, its better to have one that can reach your ht without extending the centre column for maximum stability than one that has to raise the centre column.

    those that do, are usually more ex or more heavy or both.

    i'm 1.8 as well and i am considering selling off my current tripod to get a gitzo one.
    i see.. which tripod you using and whats its maximum height?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by tatsit View Post
    i see.. which tripod you using and whats its maximum height?
    im using the manfrotto 190 ProB. maximum height is 145 with centre column extended.

    with my L bracket plate, its actually just nice for shooting ppl. but of cos looking through the VF is a bitch.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    weight carrying ability is also important... make sure that the tripod you choose can hold the weight of what you might mount onto it plus some extra weight, as in tricky conditions like gusty winds it is usually advisable to hang some weights (example your camera bag or a sandbag) onto the centre hook to lower the centre of gravity of the set up and increase inertia of the set up so as to increase stability...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    For my 400D, i got the Manfrotto XProb and the 486RC2 ballhead. Quite a steady setup although I wasn't so sure about having to spend so much at first, but I suppose it's worth the investment.

    You can check out CP at Peninsular as they have quite a lot of tripods on display there and you can 'test' them out to see if you are happy with the height/weight etc. Good luck!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    im using the manfrotto 190 ProB. maximum height is 145 with centre column extended.

    with my L bracket plate, its actually just nice for shooting ppl. but of cos looking through the VF is a bitch.
    I see.. 145 is really short. what i'm afraid is that the height is at a position where its neither squating or bending..

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    weight carrying ability is also important... make sure that the tripod you choose can hold the weight of what you might mount onto it plus some extra weight, as in tricky conditions like gusty winds it is usually advisable to hang some weights (example your camera bag or a sandbag) onto the centre hook to lower the centre of gravity of the set up and increase inertia of the set up so as to increase stability...
    Ok, i'll take that into consideration. I'm having a 400D Kit II, shouldnt be a huge load.

    Quote Originally Posted by giraffed View Post
    For my 400D, i got the Manfrotto XProb and the 486RC2 ballhead. Quite a steady setup although I wasn't so sure about having to spend so much at first, but I suppose it's worth the investment.

    You can check out CP at Peninsular as they have quite a lot of tripods on display there and you can 'test' them out to see if you are happy with the height/weight etc. Good luck!
    Wow.. is it the 055xPROB?

    Btw, you bought your tripod at CP or the MO in this forum? Which one is cheaper?

  11. #11
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    for manfrotto, their web site now has a program that helps you to select tripod and tripod head. although it is only for manfrotto brand, but you can use their recommendation as a guide to source other brand of similar specification.

    www.manfrotto.com

    or can go down to cp. they are able to recommend you a suitable set base on your input and you can have the hands on feel (best if you bring your gears).
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    you got some good recommendations on tripods there. i'll throw in some things you should look out for.

    i find tripods with ball heads much easier to use. just be sure it's a good ball head and locks securely.
    also look for quick release plates, makes getting the camera on and off the tripod quicker

    other then that, what will you be using the tripod for? travel, landscape, studio, wildlife, sports?
    with that in mind, you want to see if you can deal with a heavy tripod or if you want a light one. and how compact you want it to fold up.
    will you be using long zooms? how heavy are your lenses?

    for max height, there's rarely a situation where you'd need it to be taller than you are. so keep that in mind

    other then that if you can borrow someone's tripod to play around with....i find that's the best way as you'll start to learn what you want in a tripod

  13. #13

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by giraffed View Post
    For my 400D, i got the Manfrotto XProb and the 486RC2 ballhead. Quite a steady setup although I wasn't so sure about having to spend so much at first, but I suppose it's worth the investment.

    You can check out CP at Peninsular as they have quite a lot of tripods on display there and you can 'test' them out to see if you are happy with the height/weight etc. Good luck!
    Bro,

    How much did you pay for this setup?

    I was quoted 285 recently... is it worth it?
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

  14. #14

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    yes wanted to know how much and where to buy 190PROB and 486RC2 ballhead. just new here in Singapore and to this forum. hope you can help. thanks!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Mmm it would depend on your style of photography, too. Like do you want to/like being seen toting a big tripod along, or do you go on dedicated photo expeditions? If you want to be discreet, having a steady tripod with a small footprint when stowed may be for you. If you don't care, then you can have a big tripod. When outdoors in winter, carbon fiber or leg warmers may be a consideration, and especially a sandbag to keep things steady in windy conditions.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    I plan on using the tripod for lanscape shots wild life and sports. Most probably i'm not going to use long zooms, but i keep the option open for future upgrades.

    Due to budget constrains, i think i'll go for benro's A500EX, but my friend recommended me slik brand. Now in serious dilemma, especially i've made orders for it.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesclavel View Post
    yes wanted to know how much and where to buy 190PROB and 486RC2 ballhead. just new here in Singapore and to this forum. hope you can help. thanks!
    Both Cathay Photo and TK Foto selling 190XPROB at $175 (GST inclusive), not sure about 486RC2 pricing. 488RC2 selling for $140 at TK and $170 (iirc) at Cathay. However, Cathay giving away some freebies like straps/key chain etc for their Manfrotto promo. You might want to go down and have a look.

    Chris Wong (Cathay Photo) mentioned that there will be price increase after 1st Jan, so if you are looking for tripod, better get it within these 2 days.

    Hope this helps!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by viewwing View Post
    Bro,

    How much did you pay for this setup?

    I was quoted 285 recently... is it worth it?
    Sounds standard as Manfrotto pricing is quite fixed. Does it come with any freebies? CP having Manfrotto promo now, giving away some strap & key chain etc...

  19. #19

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by tatsit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by giraffed View Post
    For my 400D, i got the Manfrotto XProb and the 486RC2 ballhead. Quite a steady setup although I wasn't so sure about having to spend so much at first, but I suppose it's worth the investment.

    You can check out CP at Peninsular as they have quite a lot of tripods on display there and you can 'test' them out to see if you are happy with the height/weight etc. Good luck!
    Wow.. is it the 055xPROB?

    Btw, you bought your tripod at CP or the MO in this forum? Which one is cheaper?
    It's the 190XPROB, and i got it from CP.


    Quote Originally Posted by viewwing View Post
    Bro,

    How much did you pay for this setup?

    I was quoted 285 recently... is it worth it?
    Sounds like you got a good quote as I paid $339

  20. #20

    Default Re: Choosing tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by tatsit View Post
    I plan on using the tripod for lanscape shots wild life and sports. Most probably i'm not going to use long zooms, but i keep the option open for future upgrades.

    Due to budget constrains, i think i'll go for benro's A500EX, but my friend recommended me slik brand. Now in serious dilemma, especially i've made orders for it.
    if u plan to shoot wild life and sports, u will likely get a telephoto lens and u will need a tripod can support quite a heavy load. take that into consideration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •