Thread: Waterfall

Default Waterfall

Hi all,

first time putting up my pic for critique, hope to receive constructive comments in helping me improve be it positive or negative.

Shot this waterfall at the entrance of Singapore Zoo. Wanting to have a calm feel of flowing water. Not sure if the bushes around are too distracting or not? So hereby need some guidance.

1/5s
    f/10 at focal 20mm

Thanks for viewing.
    Canon 400D / Rebel XTi Gripped EFS 17-85mm / 50mm f/1.8
    http://jerryyang.deviantart.com

Default Re: Waterfall

Interesting photograph and well taken however I just have two comments to make,

1.) I cant seem to find a focus point, my eyes keep roaming and I don't know where to start looking.

2.) The front part of the photograph is slightly over-exposed and thus distracting.

I suggest cropping in the sides a little to create a more central focus on the waterfall. Overall however its a really nice scenic shot of a waterfall!! Good Job =) looking forward to more photographs from you..

Last edited by ilsam; 27th December 2007 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilsam View Post
    Interesting photograph and well taken however I just have two comments to make,

1.) I cant seem to find a focus point, my eyes keep roaming and I don't know where to start looking.

2.) The front part of the photograph is slightly over-exposed and thus distracting.

Overall however its a really nice scenic shot of a waterfall!! Good Job =) looking forward to more photographs from you..

Thanks, I too can't find a focal point, just wanna concentrate on the flowing water itself? perhaps i up too much contrast while PP

I try another one again next week.

If you wanna concentrate on the flowing water crop the sides a little to create a more portrait photograph with the waterfall being the larger emphasis in the photograph =)

This waterfall seems to be framed up by the vegetation beside. Maybe that rock right at the bottom is distracting.

Here Jerry I just did some cropping using Windows picture Viewer.. Haha =)

I feel the cropped version looks better, but would still prefer if you lose the rock at the bottom. It's slightly overexposed and looks out of place and thus distracting...
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

Quote Originally Posted by SolBadGuy View Post
    I feel the cropped version looks better, but would still prefer if you lose the rock at the bottom. It's slightly overexposed and looks out of place and thus distracting...

ok thanks for all the comments, will be more careful with the exposure next time.

Quote Originally Posted by SolBadGuy View Post
    I tried cropping out the rock but it looks incomplete therefore I decided to leave it in (try it) =). The only way is to compensate by cropping in more of the sides and cropping out the log which appears halved when I crop out the rock from below:

hmmm, so i guess have to do a tight crop, leaving only the water.

Its really up to you =) hope I helped =) Cheerio!

No pro here but some comments...

Believe tat it is hard to find an angle to take this mini waterfall but u might have tried to move a little forward and lower to exclude the vegetation on the right.

Normally to shoot waterfalls during a bright sunny day would require a ND filter. This would reduce the exposure down by between 1 to 4 stops depending on what grade u using. Try using a smaller aperture also but this would mean a slower shutter speed that would result in overexposure of the surroundings during a sunny day (A ND Filter is def a must to shoot silky smooth waterfalls during sunny days).

Nevertheless, a decent attempt... Keep On Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by kuantoh View Post
    No pro here but some comments...

Believe tat it is hard to find an angle to take this mini waterfall but u might have tried to move a little forward and lower to exclude the vegetation on the right.

Normally to shoot waterfalls during a bright sunny day would require a ND filter. This would reduce the exposure down by between 1 to 4 stops depending on what grade u using. Try using a smaller aperture also but this would mean a slower shutter speed that would result in overexposure of the surroundings during a sunny day (A ND Filter is def a must to shoot silky smooth waterfalls during sunny days).

Nevertheless, a decent attempt... Keep On Shooting!
    Hi, I'm not too sure wat an ND filter is, but i was using a normal UV filter for this shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySH View Post
    Hi, I'm not too sure wat an ND filter is, but i was using a normal UV filter for this shot.
    ND filter is a neutral density filter. For more details u can do a search on google on ND filter to get explanations and use for them.