Thread: Do you collect deposit from weddings and other printing services?

Default Do you collect deposit from weddings and other printing services?

Dear All,

In Singapore context, do wedding photographers usually collect deposit as a form of confirmation to the wedding shoot? Also, if there are other printing services following the shoot, do you think it's still appropriate to ask for a deposit?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Default Re: Do you collect deposit from weddings and other printing services?

No wedding photographers here, or you all never collect deposits?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Of course, 30% - 50% is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Dear All,

In Singapore context, do wedding photographers usually collect deposit as a form of confirmation to the wedding shoot? Also, if there are other printing services following the shoot, do you think it's still appropriate to ask for a deposit?
    thegaleria - web . facebook . instagram @ thegaleria_photo

No wedding photographers here, or you all never collect deposits?
    yep...anyone who's doing any biz should collect a deposit for the event. i tink nobody's answering cos this question has been asked before.

Hi,

we collect a 50% deposit to block the date and request that the remaining 50% be paid 2 weeks before the wedding.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by iamasaint View Post
    Hi,

we collect a 50% deposit to block the date and request that the remaining 50% be paid 2 weeks before the wedding.

Cheers
    Thanks all. Actually I was much emphasizing on the 2nd question. That is, if the couple wants extra prints which requires touchup, do you all think it is appropriate to collect a deposit?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

If the couple wants additional stuff, I don't see why the couple should not be asked to pay more in advance.

Thanks all. Actually I was much emphasizing on the 2nd question. That is, if the couple wants extra prints which requires touchup, do you all think it is appropriate to collect a deposit?
    Yes. I think its fine. I know I would.

Thanks much for your thoughts. At least I know I'm doing the right thing.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Dear All,

If you think your skill is no good or scare the couple half way see other better choice and run people, and ask other photographer to do their wedding. Is best is to collect 50% deposit first
    Collect money first and talk later ...

I think the issue here is getting it right at the time of signing of T&Cs with the wedding couple. If you explicitly state enough conditions to cover your behind in the event that the couple does back out, it will be a deterrent in itself.

Of course, the deposit does help as a deterrent too. I learnt the hard way with a commercial shoot, when I did not collect the deposit. The company eventually haggled so much until I considered it a breach in T&C, but I had nothing to cover that, so walk away empty-handed, work half-done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatgirl View Post
    If you think your skill is no good or scare the couple half way see other better choice and run people, and ask other photographer to do their wedding. Is best is to collect 50% deposit first
    Collect money first and talk later ...
    I am afraid of the latter, and have personally encountered with such incident. I think for most Singaporean couples, cheaper means better.

The other way round, if there are other better opportunites that falls on the same date as the shoot for the photographer, the photographer can also 'run people' and do other shoots if deposit is not received right?

Deposit is to protect both parties, not only the photographer. By paying a deposit, the couple has confidence in the photographer, and proceed to book his time for photography. By paying a deposit, the photographer's time is booked, and can concentrate on planning the shoot for the couple on that day.

There are always two sides of things.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I think the issue here is getting it right at the time of signing of T&Cs with the wedding couple. If you explicitly state enough conditions to cover your behind in the event that the couple does back out, it will be a deterrent in itself.

Of course, the deposit does help as a deterrent too. I learnt the hard way with a commercial shoot, when I did not collect the deposit. The company eventually haggled so much until I considered it a breach in T&C, but I had nothing to cover that, so walk away empty-handed, work half-done.
    Same here bro. I have encountered that before. I totally agree with you that a terms and condition has to be drafted and signed before any commitment. Paying a deposit IS a commitment. It is to protect both parties, the couple and the photographer.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

think u can check out the link post by canturn
    http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=332773

Quote Originally Posted by ryan26 View Post
    hi... i need a photograher for my AD wedding... pls contact me at 91061602
    Hi would you kindly

1. Read the posting guidelines
    2. Post in the relevant subforum - Service Offered/Wanted

I notice you've been posting in almost every thread in this subforum.