Thread: how to format ipod without using itunes?

Default how to format ipod without using itunes?

could someone enlighten me if there was a way to format and clean out the hdd of an ipod without the use of itunes?
    format in the sense removing the files of music and photos but not the firmware

many thanks
    Last edited by haagen_dazs; 27th December 2007 at 04:51 AM.
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

Default Re: how to format ipod without using itunes?

I think you can close itunes, and then open My computer and use it as an external harddisk. Then i guess you can delete anything you want from there.

Default Re: how to format ipod without using itunes?

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I think you can close itunes, and then open My computer and use it as an external harddisk. Then i guess you can delete anything you want from there.
    At the end of the day, a Ipod is just an external USB hard disk. The music player part expects certain folders to exist and contain certain files in certain formats - iTunes maintains this structure.

You should be able to just plug the thing in and delete what you want from the HDD. It won't work as a music player any more until you use iTunes to reformat it and thus put the music player data files back in the right places if the files/folders you delete are part of the iTunes library stored on it.