Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Developing raws to jpg

  1. #1

    Default Developing raws to jpg

    I seem to have an issue when processing raws. In CS2, I have this fine-looking dng (or tiff) file on the main screen. But when I try to save it as a raw, it looks significantly different. While I understand that jpg has a lot less color data than a tiff/dng, I wonder whether this is normal. What I have observed is that there's a color shift (like shift to blue if the picture was originally grey) and the resultant jpg is a lot darker. I can remedy this by increasing brightness and re-editing the jpg to render something similar to the original tif.

    As for settings, I have tried using both sRGB and adobeRGB, but both have resulted in the same significantly different jpg. I have tried playing with all the save for web settings but nothing seems to change. Am I doing something wrong?

    to illustrate the issue, I have added a screenshot.

    Last edited by Kirika; 26th December 2007 at 10:14 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Developing raws to jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    But when I try to save it as a raw
    I assume this should read "jpeg" instead of "raw"? Otherwise I don't quite understand what you're trying to do.

    I don't have experience with Adobe CS2, but JPEG/JFIF is certainly innocent. I suspect that what you're "saving for web" is not the adjusted version of your image, but the raw file converted with default parameters (white balance, transfer curve).

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Developing raws to jpg

    Mebbe you can try saving as a jpeg instead of exporting using the save fof web feature. Tat normally drops the quality a lot and the compression may have caused some change.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Developing raws to jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Mebbe you can try saving as a jpeg instead of exporting using the save fof web feature. Tat normally drops the quality a lot and the compression may have caused some change.
    Caution: photoshop has the nasty habit of saving tons of unnecessary metadata if you do this. This not only inflates file sizes (I've seen JPEG files on Clubsnap where less than a third is actually image data), but may also result in information leaks (camera/software serial numbers, camera owner name, etc.).

  5. #5
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Developing raws to jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Caution: photoshop has the nasty habit of saving tons of unnecessary metadata if you do this. This not only inflates file sizes (I've seen JPEG files on Clubsnap where less than a third is actually image data), but may also result in information leaks (camera/software serial numbers, camera owner name, etc.).
    Very true... but I'd only do this for shots which I want to print. For web display, I'd still use save for web, but at a higher quality... at least 80.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #6

    Default Re: Developing raws to jpg

    color profiles...
    when u import the raw files, import the color profile too instead of using another color profile
    photoshop -> edit -> color profiles

    i think that should do the trick

  7. #7

    Default Re: Developing raws to jpg

    Airheaded as I am, I failed to consider using save as instead of SfW. I'll try that. And no...changing the color space around doesn't work. That's the first thing I tried.

    Interestingly enough, save as was sufficient. Ah, well

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Mebbe you can try saving as a jpeg instead of exporting using the save fof web feature. Tat normally drops the quality a lot and the compression may have caused some change.
    Last edited by Kirika; 27th December 2007 at 10:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Developing raws to jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Airheaded as I am, I failed to consider using save as instead of SfW. I'll try that. And no...changing the color space around doesn't work. That's the first thing I tried.

    Interestingly enough, save as was sufficient. Ah, well
    there should be no different between sfw and 'save as' if the jpg is converted in the sRGB before saving... the only different would probably be that sfw will discard the metadata... thats if im not wrong

  9. #9

    Default Re: Developing raws to jpg

    did you process the images to 16bit from RAW?...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •