Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why did you choose Pentax?

Default Re: Why did you choose Pentax?

K10D is my first DSLR. Here are the factors that made me buy it.

1) Ergonomics - The K100D Super is enough for my needs. But after holding the K10D, I knew that this is the camera that I want.
    2) SR - This is a necessity for me. This is always a primary consideration when buying a camera.
    3) Price - For less than the price of a D80, I got SR and a camera with good ergonomics.
    4) Pentaxians are very helpful.

My very first camera was a K1000 my dad gave me when I was a kid...
    After a more than 10 years gap, decided to start shooting again but now in digital.
    The fact that the lenses from my old cam can also be used, was a major plus for me.

That's nice. My dad also gave me a Fujica MA-1 toy camera when i was a kid, after which recently he handed me his Oly 35RC, unfortunately, no cupboard full of k-mount lenses....hahaha..

I had been looking for an dSLR which wld last a long time, meaning batteries that are always available. A search on the internet showed the K100d. Frankly speaking, i have had no idea what kind of cameras/mount Pentax made. I was an ignorant consumer who knew only Canon and Nikon. But due to my priority in getting a product that had usage continuity even after the model is discontinued, I chose to get a Pentax K100d for its use of AA batteries. Since then, i've realised the strengths of this system and stayed since.

Other brands had too much distractions, as in too many lenses which are too close in features. Complications where u can only use only DX lenses, etc....Pentax system is simpler and easier to understand, kinda frees your brain cells for more creative photography.

On a more community note, the K-mount is a rather open standard. There are so many manufacturers creating SLRs for this mount...Ricohs, Vivitars, Cosinas, Sears, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by alanpotpot View Post
    4) Pentaxians are very helpful.
    Haha. Totally agree. Once a question is posted within half a day there would be a reply.
    Let's get rolling :)

Kudos to that bro

Watch this Video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LWM-GyldZa0
    Canon 5D2, 1dmk2n, 24-70 L, 70-200 L, 50 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    I did not choose Pentax, the sales person choose for me. I want to get a SLR and went to the shop. The sales person just took out the Pentax MZ50 and said here this is a value for money entry level SLR and easy to operate. I have little photography knowledge and just take the sales person word for it. No regret getting that SLR and now I'm in Pentax.
    Hey, the same thing happened to me back in 98/99 (forgot which year). Think the MZ-50 sold very well that year!
    Scene in Singapore
    Lens of the month: Mamiya Sekor 60mm f2.8 Macro

Haha what more can u wish for? The only cam in the industry that will give u the best bang for the buck... No frills, no gimmicks, just a well made camera that can take damage and shoot good pictures, all at a good price, complete with powerful tradition and legacy, kinda legendary
    Functional disorder

Deregistered

Several reason to go from Nikon to Pentax :
    - K10d is best camera at its price,
    - K10d is VERY convenient camera, with a lot of VERY interesting features
    - 16-45 is a damn good lens
    - Before, I used D1h and D1x, quality was good but not as good (that I can understand, quite old camera), but both camera had problem they should not have (Shutter dead, compression module dead ...). I decided to go to cheap and good because expensive does not make more reliable anyway.
    - Few people use Pentax and I don't like to do as most people do.
    - K10d is smal, Pentax lenses are small

However, Pentax is not all good, there are a few bad points :

- Quality is not consistent, the AF of one of my K10d was not good at all, just need to be tested and configured but I add to do it.
    - Find Pentax lenses is not always very easy.
    - Vertical grid does of K10d does not take 2 batteries, so you need to remove it each time you change battery inside the body
    - Viewfinder is not very accurate for MF (even if it's quite bright)
    - Framing is not very accurate (may need a servicing to be adjusted)
    - Inside JPG engine is not very good
    - Pentax software is not good (I prefere RawTherapee who works quite fine)

Anyway, nobody's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by kongping View Post
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2244/2115119666_c63833369d_o.jpg
    Nice DA70 serial number.

i believe in at first sight!

and all of the above.. (nah..)
    i read the reviews on Digital Camera magazine,M'sia (March 2007) and decided to try it.

and Viola!! it's my dream dude (K10D) ..

but then again, if i'd have read the magazine's reviews on Oly E-3 (Dec 2007), i'd love to try that cam too.. but this Pentax community is too great a bunch for me to move to the Oly camp..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12