Thread: What to trust

Default What to trust

Firstly, many reputable authors in photography books tell you not to delete any photos based on your camera LCDs. Camera's screens are not reliable, make your decision at the computer. They say make sure the computer is calibrated.
    I was trying to view some pics where hotspots were highlighted in one of the critiques. But when I tilt the monitor, hotspots appear and disappear, depending on the angle of my laptop LCD screen. I don't know what to trust anymore. Any advice ? So if I want to make decisions for my own photos, it would be quite ironical if I have to print my photos to decide if these are keepers or not. Anyway if they're bad, I have already printed them.
    Last edited by Old Boy; 23rd December 2007 at 10:09 PM.

Default Re: What to trust

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Anyway if they're bad, I have already printed them.
    Eh? You have probably answered your own question. The proof is in the printing.

Firstly, many reputable authors in photography books tell you not to delete any photos based on your camera LCDs. Camera's screens are not reliable, make your decision at the computer. They say make sure the computer is calibrated.
    I was trying to view some pics where hotspots were highlighted in one of the critiques. But when I tilt the monitor, hotspots appear and disappear, depending on the angle of my laptop LCD screen. I don't know what to trust anymore. Any advice ? So if I want to make decisions for my own photos, it would be quite ironical if I have to print my photos to decide if these are keepers or not. Anyway if they're bad, I have already printed them.
    one easy way to check is look at the file size. Sharper less blown out files will be bigger because more details recorded...

you point a droplet onto the hotspot area in photoshop, if it shows 255, 255, 255, it is a blown area.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I use the cam's LCD for two things - exposure and blown highlights (which can be displayed).

But of course if the pictures already look like cr*p on that itsy-bitsy LCD, then it'll be utter rubbish when viewed on the computer.

I never liked LCD screens... Laptop LCD screens are worse! Well, those that I've used anyway; I'm sure there are good ones out there somewhere...

I'd say, use a CRT to view to see the photos. Using a cheap CRT is still much better than using a laptop LCD, methinks. (A callibrated CRT, that is.)

But that's just my point of view...

Quote Originally Posted by zuldevil View Post
    I never liked LCD screens... Laptop LCD screens are worse! Well, those that I've used anyway; I'm sure there are good ones out there somewhere...

I'd say, use a CRT to view to see the photos. Using a cheap CRT is still much better than using a laptop LCD, methinks. (A callibrated CRT, that is.)

But that's just my point of view...
    huh??...

even if true, where to get CRT TVs these days (mch more calibraed wan)?...

er... why not just use a histogram?

Thanks to all for the tips..I found "droplet on spot using Photoshop is easy and reliable". Not that histogram is no good, spike at the far right end is so small, I thought it's OK. Continue to use both to learn more about photography. To realise mistakes through printing maybe abit too expensive. Inks ain't cheap, I hope they do.
    Last edited by Old Boy; 24th December 2007 at 07:55 AM.

there are also tools in PS that will show you all the blown highlights in the picture without you having to click and sample the point. I think it is somewhere in the curve or level dialog box.

get a PS book and read through it.