Default Child

This photo was taken at East Coast Park, details of the photo is as follow:
    Here's EXIF information
    Camera: Canon 40D with 18-55mm IS
    Shutter: 1/60 sec
    Aperature: f/4.0
    ISO: 1600
    WB : 5200K

I used AV mode to take this shots as i'm still new to this dslr...this photo is very blue and i think this is the best pic i take that day in east coast...

How to improve it to make it better as i'm a newbie and just bought this first dslr

Please comment and give some tips on improving the shot i made

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by oceanloverm; 23rd December 2007 at 02:12 PM.

Default Re: Child

i find the pic abit dark..

the people sitting at the stone there seem rather distracting if the child is the main focus..

juz my 6 cents worth =]

Quote Originally Posted by solar View Post
    i find the pic abit dark..

the people sitting at the stone there seem rather distracting if the child is the main focus..

juz my 6 cents worth =]
    Thanks for the comment as i just bought my first Dslr Canon 40D, still getting the hang of it still learning

You should shoot at a lower angle, make the subject, the boy, stand out.

And the white balance quite off....its too cool!
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

White balance will make the photograph less blue. Alternatively due to the fact that the photograph has already been taken, turning it into a Black and White photograph might work however it is really important to take a good photograph and not relying on too much editing. A DSLR especially one as good as a D40 will give u much room to play with the aperture, shutter speed, iso and white balance to achieve a better shot than what you've taken. Overall a good shot keep trying keep improving =) Hope to see more of your work =) Cheerio!

Just a little editing using windows picture viewer.. (lazy open photoshop) LOL =)

Last edited by ilsam; 27th December 2007 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks for all the reply and comments will improve my skill on my dslr as much as i could and will post more pics up here in clubsnap for comments Thank you!
    Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N, EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 IS, 70-200L F2.8 USM, 50 F1.4 USM & 580EX

Too much blue in the picture and it is too dark. Very fast photoshop so very obvious marks left and resolution to work with was limited so i couldn't do much anyway just to show how i would edit.

I tried bouncing my flash and it broke into 2 pieces... :bheart:
    My Flickr !

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Social View Post
    Too much blue in the picture and it is too dark. Very fast photoshop so very obvious marks left and resolution to work with was limited so i couldn't do much anyway just to show how i would edit.

Nicely done. The removal of the people on the stone really increases the focus on the child and adds a feeling of loneliness and deep thought.

No la just quick work to show ocean only i think the big flaw i made kinda obvious isn't it. Give credits to ocean who took it, juz need a little work thats all
    My Flickr !

No la just quick work to show ocean only i think the big flaw i made kinda obvious isn't it. Give credits to ocean who took it, juz need a little work thats all
    So modest.. lol Hope we helped you Ocean =)

Wow! where those people went? nice work on removing those people in the pic mind sharing how you done this please using ps? Million thanks

Best Regards,
    Oceanloverm
    Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N, EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 IS, 70-200L F2.8 USM, 50 F1.4 USM & 580EX

Fairly simple, use the clone tool, it looks like a stamp, select a spot where you want to copy from then click on the spot with people to remove it. Try google it for more info. Gd luck!
    My Flickr !

1) WB way off
    2) Underexposed
    3) Why do you need ISO1600 outdoors during the day? What's more you are using the IS lens, that should save you several stops of light right?
    4) Without any eye contact, very difficult to get impactful images

My 2 cents
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

and the pic is blur. i guess that is what u should be trying to achieve in the first place. Get ur pic sharp.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

White balance and distracting people at the background had already been mentioned by fellow clubsnapers. One extra bit is to also watch out for the trees behind the boy's head. Avoid this if possible. You can try to do a quick auto level and autocolor in Photoshop if you are new in the software to at least minimise the blue cast.

chvictor (Adobe Certified Expert) | Photoshop Instructor | 98162062

Quote Originally Posted by chvictor View Post
    White balance and distracting people at the background had already been mentioned by fellow clubsnapers. One extra bit is to also watch out for the trees behind the boy's head. Avoid this if possible. You can try to do a quick auto level and autocolor in Photoshop if you are new in the software to at least minimise the blue cast.

The basic auto command in Ps give you the result below.
    Of course must always bear in mind to get the picture right from the camera so as to avoid some pp later. Anyway happy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by chvictor View Post
    The basic auto command in Ps give you the result below.
    Of course must always bear in mind to get the picture right from the camera so as to avoid some pp later. Anyway happy shooting.

This is the color which i taken that day! maybe still new to the camera even now still having a lot of problems controling the brightness and darkness of the pics...

how to make sure that my pic taken is sharp enough??? all the pic that i taken it's not as sharp as i wanted... does the len(18-55mm IS f3.5-5.6) i used had to do with this or handheld? Thank you

This photo was taken at East Coast Park, details of the photo is as follow:
    Here's EXIF information
    Camera: Canon 40D with 18-55mm IS
    Shutter: 1/60 sec
    Aperature: f/4.0
    ISO: 1600
    WB : 5200K

I used AV mode to take this shots as i'm still new to this dslr...this photo is very blue and i think this is the best pic i take that day in east coast...

How to improve it to make it better as i'm a newbie and just bought this first dslr

Please comment and give some tips on improving the shot i made

Thanks guys!

(The main subject in the photo, which I assume is the boy, is not pronounced. You might have tried to light him up using the built in flash on your camera or something or you can do that in post. The row of people in the background are distracting as well, so this is something that you might want to consider when shooting in future. Good try and continue to be creative).