Thread: How to take night shots with canon A 720 IS...?

Lightbulb How to take night shots with canon A 720 IS...?

Hi,

I have problems trying to take night shots using canon A 720 IS, tried the manual and auto mode...and other modes and try to take a pic at 6X zoom but the pic with a building just gone black...tried numerous time but to no avail...it is just black...the buildings or car down the road can't be seen at all during the night with low lightings....can anyone advise me on this...how should i take a night shot?

Thank you

Default Re: How to take night shots with canon A 720 IS...?

You need to follow as below :
    - use a tripod
    - set camera to M mode
    - use lowest ISO
    - use small aperture like f5.6 or smaller
    - use shutter speed from 5sec to 15sec
    - use timer mode 2 sec to trigger the shutter
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    - use a tripod
    - set camera to M mode
    - use lowest ISO
    why lowest ISO? shouldnt a higher ISO has higher sensitivity to light at low light condition hence giving image is sufficiently exposed?

shouldnt a larger aperture used to allow more light to enter?

(i'm a newbie but these are from wat i've learned. pls correct me if i'm wrong.)

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    why lowest ISO? shouldnt a higher ISO has higher sensitivity to light at low light condition hence giving image is sufficiently exposed? Higher ISO is more sensitive, but it results in more noise. Since you are (well, you must!) use a tripod, so you can afford to set it to ISO 80 (that's your lowest for your A720).

shouldnt a larger aperture used to allow more light to enter? Tripod, bro! You can set the lowest aperture, that should be about f/8, and depending on lighting condition, you can set to 5 secs or more. Using smaller apertures give star shapes to your lights

(i'm a newbie but these are from wat i've learned. pls correct me if i'm wrong.)
    Continue to experiment and play with it!
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    why lowest ISO? shouldnt a higher ISO has higher sensitivity to light at low light condition hence giving image is sufficiently exposed?

shouldnt a larger aperture used to allow more light to enter?

to get the highest possible quality output from the cam.. cos at higher ISOs, more noise would be introduced, degrading the image..

yup a larger aperture would allow more light to enter.. but stopping down would give somewhat better quality, most lens are sharper when stopped down.. plus you get a nice starry effect if theres bright points of light in your pic, like street lights..

Recently I had been trying out night shots. I shoot @ shutter 15 sec and F13. The result turn out not bad for the esplanade.

Actually settings are different from time to time, so its best to experiment the settings after your first shot. This is how I learn, since I am quite a newbie too.
    Let's get rolling :)

Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    Continue to experiment and play with it!
    got it. my understanding was quite a generally one. u guys went down to IQ and stuff. thanks..

Lightbulb Re: How to take night shots with canon A 720 IS...?

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    - use a tripod
    - set camera to M mode
    - use lowest ISO
    hmmm....i tried all these method but... it still seems kind of dark when taking photo...using high ISO will cause noise in the photo but it will help to make the condition brighter....but using high shutter speed still does not help a lot in making the photo better in dark condition...oh...should i on my flash to the max? will it help?

Is there any other methods or way to adjust the M mode whereby i do not need any flash and can take clear photo in dark condition...or in low lighting? High shutter speed will cause blur images...seem like the image stabiliser does not help much in this case in low lighting condition...or does it?

Recently I had been trying out night shots. I shoot @ shutter 15 sec and F13. The result turn out not bad for the esplanade.
    hmm maybe can you give a slight explaination on how to go up to f13 using this cam? i have this cam but it seems like it an go up to f8.0 only.

i guess the iso need not go to the lowest, set to about 200 will be fine. set to 80 only if the place has sufficient lighting. Usually the f value i set to about 8.0 and shutter between 10-15s. imo, i tink flash has very little help. The main thing is, a tripod is a must. slight twitch or vibration can cause the picture to go #$^&^%$
    using of flash and auto mode should be minimal unless object is decently close to you.

here is a random picture taken using a720is at 4am in the morning. iso 400 f8.0 shutter 10s
    *slight noise is present
    Last edited by ngck12; 24th December 2007 at 07:43 PM.

1 thing, use tripod, never go up the iso in prosumers esp, use the lowest iso

Quote Originally Posted by yoyobun View Post
    hmmm....i tried all these method but... it still seems kind of dark when taking photo...using high ISO will cause noise in the photo but it will help to make the condition brighter....but using high shutter speed still does not help a lot in making the photo better in dark condition...oh...should i on my flash to the max? will it help?

Is there any other methods or way to adjust the M mode whereby i do not need any flash and can take clear photo in dark condition...or in low lighting? High shutter speed will cause blur images...seem like the image stabiliser does not help much in this case in low lighting condition...or does it?
    What is your shutter speed ? It would be better to show us your underexposed shots with EXIF data and your setup.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap