Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Flash technique question

  1. #21
    Member Jer76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    Originally posted by Java_Guru
    Some wedding photos i took for my friend -> http://www.lionelsiau.com/photo/weddingofchrisandelsa

    Nice wedding shots u got there.. BTW for those indoor shots were u using an omni bounce fired straight on or using bounced flash? noticed u switch ISO but i can't do that for film so which is the best film for a whole day wedding shootout?

  2. #22
    Senior Member ivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    SINGAPOUR
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Maybe you want to consider using 2 cameras with diff ISO films...

    Originally posted by Jer76
    noticed u switch ISO but i can't do that for film so which is the best film for a whole day wedding shootout?

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    photozone
    Posts
    284

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by Jer76
    noticed u switch ISO but i can't do that for film so which is the best film for a whole day wedding shootout?

    I think the best compromise film if u have only one camera is ISO 400. of course if u have 2, then can use ISO 800 for indoor shots. my 2 cts...

  4. #24

    Default

    ISO 400 would be best I suppose unless u have a DSLR...

    Seriously, if u shoot the whole day, u will use a couple of rolls and at least 1 roll for the wedding dinner. Why don't u just rewind the ISO100-200 roll in advance and replace with a ISO400 when it comes to the wedding dinner? It is a few dollars at most.


    Originally posted by victor
    quote:Originally posted by Jer76
    noticed u switch ISO but i can't do that for film so which is the best film for a whole day wedding shootout?

    I think the best compromise film if u have only one camera is ISO 400. of course if u have 2, then can use ISO 800 for indoor shots. my 2 cts...

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    photozone
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Originally posted by victor
    Hi

    A very interesting thread ! I am pretty new to flash photography so can I ask u guys rather simple questions like :

    1) what's min flash distance ?

    2) If we use Av in a dim room, won't the shutter speed sometimes be too slow for hand holding ?

    Thx.

    Anybody can help ? taking a fren's ROM tomolo..., so need to find out these

  6. #26

    Default

    Originally posted by victor
    1) what's min flash distance ?

    2) If we use Av in a dim room, won't the shutter speed sometimes be too slow for hand holding ?
    1) Minimum flash distance is the closest you can get to your subject without burning out the highlights. Each flash unit has its specified minimum flash distance, and also the maximum flash distance, beyond which the flash can't reach. They are affected by the aperture you use and also the ISO. It is impt to keep your subject range between these min and max so that you will not get flash overexposure or underexposure.

    2) Yes it will be, that's why it's recommended to use high ISO like 400 or 800. This will allow you to get decent shutter speed for handholding. If you insist on using low ISO and flash, you will get very dark and unnatural backgrounds.

  7. #27

    Default

    I just bought a cheap external flash for my SLR.

    How to determine the minimum distance? I can only find the maximum distance. (28m @ ISO100).

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    photozone
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Thx Tweek

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by Pr0t0type
    I just bought a cheap external flash for my SLR.

    How to determine the minimum distance? I can only find the maximum distance. (28m @ ISO100).
    check the manual? anyway, 28m refers to the gain number which is not the max distance (unless you use F1.0). divide by your lens aperture setting to find the max distance.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  10. #30

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    check the manual? anyway, 28m refers to the gain number which is not the max distance (unless you use F1.0). divide by your lens aperture setting to find the max distance.
    hmm... that means its 7m only.

    The flash i bought is a cheap Suntax brand, the manual never indicate much.

    The flash also have a strange setting which i dunno what it is for. You can switch between S,T,W1,W2. Again the manual never says anything about it, you guys have any ideal whats it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •