Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash technique question

Originally posted by Java_Guru
    Some wedding photos i took for my friend -> http://www.lionelsiau.com/photo/weddingofchrisandelsa

Nice wedding shots u got there.. BTW for those indoor shots were u using an omni bounce fired straight on or using bounced flash? noticed u switch ISO but i can't do that for film so which is the best film for a whole day wedding shootout?

Maybe you want to consider using 2 cameras with diff ISO films...

Originally posted by Jer76
    noticed u switch ISO but i can't do that for film so which is the best film for a whole day wedding shootout?

quote:Originally posted by Jer76
    noticed u switch ISO but i can't do that for film so which is the best film for a whole day wedding shootout?

I think the best compromise film if u have only one camera is ISO 400. of course if u have 2, then can use ISO 800 for indoor shots. my 2 cts...

ISO 400 would be best I suppose unless u have a DSLR...

Seriously, if u shoot the whole day, u will use a couple of rolls and at least 1 roll for the wedding dinner. Why don't u just rewind the ISO100-200 roll in advance and replace with a ISO400 when it comes to the wedding dinner? It is a few dollars at most.

Originally posted by victor
    quote:Originally posted by Jer76

I think the best compromise film if u have only one camera is ISO 400. of course if u have 2, then can use ISO 800 for indoor shots. my 2 cts...

Hi

A very interesting thread ! I am pretty new to flash photography so can I ask u guys rather simple questions like :

1) what's min flash distance ?

2) If we use Av in a dim room, won't the shutter speed sometimes be too slow for hand holding ?

Thx.

Anybody can help ? taking a fren's ROM tomolo..., so need to find out these

1) what's min flash distance ?

2) If we use Av in a dim room, won't the shutter speed sometimes be too slow for hand holding ?
    1) Minimum flash distance is the closest you can get to your subject without burning out the highlights. Each flash unit has its specified minimum flash distance, and also the maximum flash distance, beyond which the flash can't reach. They are affected by the aperture you use and also the ISO. It is impt to keep your subject range between these min and max so that you will not get flash overexposure or underexposure.

2) Yes it will be, that's why it's recommended to use high ISO like 400 or 800. This will allow you to get decent shutter speed for handholding. If you insist on using low ISO and flash, you will get very dark and unnatural backgrounds.

I just bought a cheap external flash for my SLR.

How to determine the minimum distance? I can only find the maximum distance. (28m @ ISO100).

Thx Tweek

Originally posted by Pr0t0type
    I just bought a cheap external flash for my SLR.

How to determine the minimum distance? I can only find the maximum distance. (28m @ ISO100).
    check the manual? anyway, 28m refers to the gain number which is not the max distance (unless you use F1.0). divide by your lens aperture setting to find the max distance.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by mpenza
    check the manual? anyway, 28m refers to the gain number which is not the max distance (unless you use F1.0). divide by your lens aperture setting to find the max distance.
    hmm... that means its 7m only.

The flash i bought is a cheap Suntax brand, the manual never indicate much.

The flash also have a strange setting which i dunno what it is for. You can switch between S,T,W1,W2. Again the manual never says anything about it, you guys have any ideal whats it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12