Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parallel Import Cars - what do you think?

Default Parallel Import Cars - what do you think?

Hi brothers

am thinking of buying a parallel import car but am totally new to this. I'm concerned with issues like warranty and servicing etc as I heard main agent (e.g. Toyota) won't recognise the warranty. What if the parallel importer 'close shop' before the 5 years' warranty is up?

Would like to hear your opinion and experience with parallel import cars - positive and negative. Also, any particular parallel importer who's reliable enough to recommend? Thanks.

Default Re: Parallel Import Cars - what do you think?

My friend bought the 'National-Car"---Toyota Wish from PI.
    He is very disappointed on the quality of the car [not the engine but any loose items that come with the car].

When buy from PI, he said, he learnt that next time better listed out clearly what will be delivered with the car that include [all below are standard no need to worry when buy from non-PI].
    1. brand of Audio System and model
    [His WISH came with a system that is good for PICK-UP]
    2. Even small thing like Number Plate
    His WISH came with urgly number plate
    Just these 2 simple list will scare you off! As PI can mix and max on all offering!

U buy from PI if and only if the model is not carry by agent.
    So look around on What come with the model of your dream car b4 making deicision.

Wish u good luck/

TM

if want to buy from PI, you must really know what you are buying.

everything must be in black and white. and if not careful, deposit can be "eaten" by the PI easily.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_genie View Post
    Hi brothers

am thinking of buying a parallel import car but am totally new to this. I'm concerned with issues like warranty and servicing etc as I heard main agent (e.g. Toyota) won't recognise the warranty. What if the parallel importer 'close shop' before the 5 years' warranty is up?

Would like to hear your opinion and experience with parallel import cars - positive and negative. Also, any particular parallel importer who's reliable enough to recommend? Thanks.
    dun worry, warranty & servicing are covered by Comfort Delgo. Even at Borneo Motor the standard also as they managed by foreign workers.

Quote Originally Posted by auron View Post
    if want to buy from PI, you must really know what you are buying.

everything must be in black and white. and if not careful, deposit can be "eaten" by the PI easily.
    I ordered a Toyota ISIS on the 03 Dec 2007 with documents in black & white stating my car will arrived on 12 Dec 2007. But right now I am still driving the loan vehicle.

Thanks TM for sharing your friend's experience. Mind if you PM me which PI is that so I'll avoid it?

And Jukon, that's bad...what's the reason for the delay? Did they compensate you for not complying to b&w agreement?

seems like buying from PI is not recommended? And I realised the advertisement prices can vary up to 8-9K by different PI companies...really don't know who to trust...
    Last edited by pixie_genie; 22nd December 2007 at 09:19 AM.

read the news today in ST? Frankel Motors in trouble.
    i was like you initially, thinking of getting either an Axio or Rush from PI, but after much considerations and discussions with 'experienced' car owners, i eventually got my car from the AD.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_genie View Post
    Thanks TM for sharing your friend's experience. Mind if you PM me which PI is that so I'll avoid it?

And Jukon, that's bad...what's the reason for the delay? Did they compensate you for not complying to b&w agreement?

seems like buying from PI is not recommended? And I realised the advertisement prices can vary up to 8-9K by different PI companies...really don't know who to trust...

Quote Originally Posted by rncw View Post
    read the news today in ST? Frankel Motors in trouble.
    i was like you initially, thinking of getting either an Axio or Rush from PI, but after much considerations and discussions with 'experienced' car owners, i eventually got my car from the AD.
    PI Dealer full of empty promises

err... noob here. what is PI?

Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    PI Dealer full of empty promises
    I guess it depends on the PI. I almost got a car from a PI but backed out in the end. Stucked to the official importers.
    Last edited by Hacker; 26th December 2007 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    err... noob here. what is PI?
    Read the title, PI is refer to Parallel Import Dealer.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

why risk?
    why is there a NEED to risk?
    can you afford to take the bad outcome if the risk does not work out in your favour?

is it really much cheaper?

it is a lot of money if you get stuck with a piece of junk.
    or if the good is not delivered after money is paid.

if it breaks down, then what?
    no agent service.

can you afford the time, money and frustration to sort out the mess if the deal turns bad?

unless one is rich and want an exotic model not imported by AD, then
    maybe only PI can do for you.

but why do you need an exotic model when there are already so many other choices from the ADs.
    what so special about this model?

maybe take bus easier

in singapore... unless its a status issue... (eg manager of some company cannot be driving a 20 year old datsun right?) or "dream" to own certain cars... its simply "safer" to buy from AD (authorised dealer i presume)

Simply because they will be around longer and have been around long enough to be established as AD.

In singapore... its just a 10 year loan... its not really your car...
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

I dunno about these horror stories you guys mention. The people I know who have a PI car e.g. Wish, Accord, Harrier all have no problems with the car. I have a PI car myself and have been driving it for 3+ yrs with no problems whatsoever. Of course, it has to be cheaper to buy from PI so u can offset the "discount" against any repairs etc down the road. For myself, I have had nothing to repair and have only replaced my car battery and tires.

Buy a reliable and common make like Honda or Toyota and you should have no major problems since you can service these cars anywhere.

PI offers more variety when choosing a car, what kind of car looking for?
    IF

So long it's a japanese car, PI or non-PI there's no difference. If it's a continental car, please avoid PI get it from the authorized dealer.

For PI, I would only consider common cars, as these can be repaired anywhere. Would stay with AD for the less common cars.

One of the major PI folding up. Read it here: http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring...226-42541.html

At last, I saw my ISIS, it is out of port, fitting started, registration commence.
    Hope to get delivery before New Year.

Thinking of getting a Wish or Stream to replace our ultra old family car....but dunno which PI is honest.
    HX300/ EPL6/ EOS60D/ 17-55mmF2.8IS/ 100mmF2.8Macro/ 135mmF2L/ 70-200mmF4LIS/ 300mmF4LIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast