View Poll Results: What is your screen resolution?

185. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 800 x 600

1 0.54%
  • 800 x 600

5 2.70%
  • 1024 x 768

87 47.03%
  • 1280 x 1024

63 34.05%
  • 1400 x 1050

6 3.24%
  • 1600 x 1200

12 6.49%
  • more than 1600 x 1200

11 5.95%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your screen resolution?

Woodlands, Singapore

768x1024(portrait mode)@75Hz, Dell UltraSharp 1703FP 17" LCD

How about the resolution for wide screen LCD for some laptops?

800x600 pixels

I just brought my screen back from repair 8 months ago. It's a Dell 17 inch monitor but components are all by Phillips. It's about 2 1/2 years old. Ok this is what he told me.......

He said that most CRTs nowadays have a life span about 2 - 3 years max. Depending on the usage and the enviroment as well. He pointed out a few components in a monitor which is sensitive to heat.

BTW, he only repairs monitors and LCDs only. He doesn't sell them.

Ok to prolong your monitor lifespan is to know the setting of your Resolution. If your monitor has many settings from as low as 800 x 600 to as high as 1600 x 1200, he would prefer the settings to be around in the region of 1024 x 768. Reason for this? Well the frequency of each monitor has a certain threshold that it can take. The higher you go, the higher the frequency, which therefore heats up the monitor to a higher degree. Which in turn shorten the lifespan of a monitor.

Ok, next it's the monitor's cooling problem. How come office monitors last longer than our home ones? Well the answer is when we are working in the office, there is always a constant air conditioning. So when you finish work, basically when you switch off the monitors, the cool air in the room is still trap which in turn cools down the monitors heat.

As for home, we cannot afford to turn on the air-conditioning all the time. So as we finish our surfing the internet for example, without knowing the monitor components are still hot. Although there are holes around the monitor, but it does take sometime to cool down in a warmer enviroment.

So one of the best solution to cool down your monitor is to use a monitor fan or a standing house fan. If you are using a monitor fan, switch off the monitor first but make sure you set your computer to Shutdown mode before turning off. Or else you need to turn on and off again. Wait for at least 5-7 minutes then shut your computer.

This is another thing that he told me, when you switch on your monitor, be sure not to switch off instantly. As the components inside is just warming up. Wait at least for 5 minutes before turning off. House fan I think you should know what to do. Just turn on a blow at the monitor but hopefully your mom don't scream at you for using the house fan to cool down your monitor.

I am talking about new monitors here. Not the 5 years ago where most monitors are made to last at least 3 years. Sony Trinitron Tube as he mentioned was one of the longest lasting tube but as you can see Sony is turning all the monitors into LCDs. Nowadays if you were are able to find a monitor with Sony Tube, go for it!

Just for your info, I am not comparing LCDs and CRTs. LCDs has it setbacks as well. When I was in his shop there was 6 Sony LCD in for repair. All just a couple of months old. Why never bring it to Sony service centre? I have no idea. My guess maybe it's too ex to repair at Sony Service Centre. As I never had a Sony LCD before, so I am not sure what the warranty covers.

I know you guys have had some monitors which last longer than your CPU but I am just sharing some of my experience in prolonging a CRT monitors. My monitor is about 3 1/2 years old not and still working fine. My settings is at 1024 x 768.

Oh yes by playing games and running on a higher bandwidth AGP card will also shorten the monitor life.

I hope I am able to share some of the things that this technician have shared with me.

As I mentioned, I am not comparing. Just some tips.....and it's worth 0.00002 cents

If there are other guys who love to share, I would love to here them too. It doesn't have to be a monitor but other PC components as well. My still learning...

Thank you and have a nice day.

juz a question...wat is a dual monitor setup???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123