Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is my name is Chinese characters?

Default Re: How is my name is Chinese characters?

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Received PM asking for URL for seal carving site. Well, here it is.

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/seal.html

Write your chinese name go to this website. http://www.nciku.com/?gclid=CNGut7q3tJACFQ8ZewodOTVWGQ#

../azul123
    thanks~!

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Wong Ah Seak, I never had someone written it in Chinese character for me before. Wong is Khek dialect.

../azul123
    If you can tell the meaning of the last word "Seak" as you undestand it then it will make it a lot easier to figure out the chinese character.

I am not sure if "世" (world) is the right character, but more like "石" (stone), from my limited understanding of khek.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    If you can tell the meaning of the last word "Seak" as you undestand it then it will make it a lot easier to figure out the chinese character.

I am not sure if "世" (world) is the right character, but more like "石" (stone), from my limited understanding of khek.
    Yeah ... I tend to agree with Roy ... to me when parents come up with a name, it's usually meaningful ... 亚石 may mean solid/steady like a rock ... wheras 亚世 though may sound similiar, don't seem to be as meaningful ... correct me if I'm wrong ...

anyone knows any suitable chinese name for Twisted Halo?
    I only know halo is 光环.my nick means evil holy or something like that...lol..

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi View Post
    Yeah ... I tend to agree with Roy ... to me when parents come up with a name, it's usually meaningful ... 亚石 may mean solid/steady like a rock ... wheras 亚世 though may sound similiar, don't seem to be as meaningful ... correct me if I'm wrong ...
    Unlike many Chinese, who'd consider it taboo to name their child after their father or uncle, my dad did that for me, my brother's name was my grandfather's name and I was named after my grand-uncle.

My name on birth cert is Peter Wong Ah Seak, dialect Khek... can't speak a word of it. You see my relatives are Catholic Babas and they speak more English and Malay than Chinese, well at least my Aunts do and my cousins as well, but now their children speaks Mandarin very well.

So, I am really not sure what my name means or meant anything. Nonetheless, it felt so much better knowing how the chinese strokes are.

../azul123
    Last edited by azul123; 20th December 2007 at 06:15 AM.

Decided to go with what my name might have meant 黄亚石. Thanks, guys!

../azul123
    Last edited by azul123; 20th December 2007 at 06:46 AM.

hey, I didn't know that you are Chinese.......
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Your name may not be what you think.
    Most parents choose distinctive names for their children. Hoping that their child will take on the qualities of the name.

Ah Meng
    Ah Lee
    etc...

In the local Hokkien dialect, there is the phrase "ah ter ah kow" which is derogatory. It generally means [riff-raff or tom dick and harry]. Literally translated it means Ah-Pig and Ah-Dog.

are usually just nicknames given to easily identify kids in a village in days of old.

I think your parents or grand parents may have thought of a much nicer name for you.

And Wong is not always one character 黄 in Mandarin.

Your name may be (for example only):

王 雅 思 meaning elegant thought

王 雅 丝 meaning elegant silk

Last edited by ricohflex; 20th December 2007 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

Hey bro, TS is a guy right??? The two examples you gave sounds very feminine, more suitable for women.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    hey, I didn't know that you are Chinese.......

Hehe Ben,
    Well disguised with the goatee..

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Your name may not be what you think.
    Most parents choose distinctive names for their children. Hoping that their child will take on the qualities of the name.

Ah Meng
    Ah Lee
    etc...

In the local Hokkien dialect, there is the phrase "ah ter ah kow" which is derogatory. It generally means [riff-raff or tom dick and harry]. Literally translated it means Ah-Pig and Ah-Dog.

are usually just nicknames given to easily identify kids in a village in days of old.

I think your parents or grand parents may have thought of a much nicer name for you.

And Wong is not always one character 黄 in Mandarin.

Your name may be (for example only):

Quote Originally Posted by canonikon View Post
    Hey bro, TS is a guy right??? The two examples you gave sounds very feminine, more suitable for women.
    I took over my grand uncle's name... I don't think anyone really knows what the real meaning was... since my late dad also don't know.

Anyway, I think this is good enough for me, it's just a name... I now go by a Muslim name now and I know the significance of my name and that is fine with me. Appreciate everyone who had provided valuable input, closing this thread.

../azul123

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12