Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Thread: running out of HDD space....again

Default Re: running out of HDD space....again

hmm... 4TB of images?

sounds like she is a very hardworking and pro photographer

i'm also working in IT industry, taking care of a couple of hundreds TB of data. (note: i use the word <data> instead of <information>; because how useful are those, i dunno..) ahaha

coming back to the topic, having that amount of huge data will equates to a higher amount of budget/$$ to handle them..

...unless, she is willing to be a little more hardworking too in performing backups. There are simple cloning tools out there that some H/W vendors calls "OTB". Personally used one of the better ones for my personal home networked PCs which houses 2.5TB of mixed stuffs.

it is capable of cloning/imaging my HDs and "span" them into several image files which you can use several 500GB HDDs to keep it. So, whenever that S/W says, "insert a blank/new HDD", you just change the USB2 enclosure till it says, "complete".

however, this does not seems to provide a satisfactory solution/alternative to her problem.

Try this other slightly costs more alternative:-

(1) i had recently got a cheap NAS + VTL solution from one of the major storage vendor in the market to handle 06TB of FTP data only. What separates this vendor from the other major storage vendors is that it is capable of "de-duplication" and "virtual tape library".

How to use?
    - it is just a black box with lots of 500GB HDDs RAID5 + 01 HotSpare together
    - With 04TB of useable space, you can choose to use it for either/both methods (NAS and/or VTL)
    - if you use it as a NAS, it provides approximately 04TB of backup storage
    - if you use it as a VTL, it provides approximately 28TB of virtual tape storage (H/W compression)
    - if you use both, it depends on usage %

(2) Use a free S/W tool called "FreeNAS" in a old PC housed full of SATA/IDE drives together in your networked-PCs and turn on the backup S/W's scheduler (use the OS built-in/any backup S/W backup application) to perform the automated backup/clonings unto that old PC with FreeNAS.

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    Wah......this thread is good timing sia.

I am fighting with a stupid NAS setup right now and trying to figure out a way to back up my data..

USB is slow
    Firewire + SATA is hard to find (though I think I can find one)
    I have a Mac
    NAS also got their own problems

The worst part is that I work in this industry....and still haven't gotten it all figured out. Almost enough to make me want to take everything and just throw it out.

So don't feel bad..
    mac ar?
    using leopard?
    i saw somewhere they have this software 'time machine' or sth. rofl mac names are so creative.
    its for syncing backups.
    another suggestion i have is try to install rsync.
    Ha hope i not telling u stuff u already know.. or maybe that's not your NAS prob in the first place

it's getting chimer and chimer...i'm lost at page 6.

but i'll just stick to HDD and be more diligent in backing up my pics.
    it's really a pain to go through all of them and filter out what i want/dont want, and wait a few hours for the data to be transferred to another HDD.
    lesson learnt...

Quote Originally Posted by skypen View Post
    hmm... 4TB of images?

sounds like she is a very hardworking and pro photographer

i'm also working in IT industry, taking care of a couple of hundreds TB of data. (note: i use the word <data> instead of <information>; because how useful are those, i dunno..) ahaha

coming back to the topic, having that amount of huge data will equates to a higher amount of budget/$$ to handle them..

...unless, she is willing to be a little more hardworking too in performing backups. There are simple cloning tools out there that some H/W vendors calls "OTB". Personally used one of the better ones for my personal home networked PCs which houses 2.5TB of mixed stuffs.

it is capable of cloning/imaging my HDs and "span" them into several image files which you can use several 500GB HDDs to keep it. So, whenever that S/W says, "insert a blank/new HDD", you just change the USB2 enclosure till it says, "complete".

however, this does not seems to provide a satisfactory solution/alternative to her problem.

Try this other slightly costs more alternative:-

(1) i had recently got a cheap NAS + VTL solution from one of the major storage vendor in the market to handle 06TB of FTP data only. What separates this vendor from the other major storage vendors is that it is capable of "de-duplication" and "virtual tape library".

How to use?
    - it is just a black box with lots of 500GB HDDs RAID5 + 01 HotSpare together
    - With 04TB of useable space, you can choose to use it for either/both methods (NAS and/or VTL)
    - if you use it as a NAS, it provides approximately 04TB of backup storage
    - if you use it as a VTL, it provides approximately 28TB of virtual tape storage (H/W compression)
    - if you use both, it depends on usage %

(2) Use a free S/W tool called "FreeNAS" in a old PC housed full of SATA/IDE drives together in your networked-PCs and turn on the backup S/W's scheduler (use the OS built-in/any backup S/W backup application) to perform the automated backup/clonings unto that old PC with FreeNAS.

woo what's VTL?
    freenas is sw ? tot its a BSD-based OS?

hahah we should gang together to offer "storage solutions" for pro photographers..
    I feel there's a market for it. Am tempted to subscribe to a webhost just to get webspace so that I can backup my images to a web drive and let others take care of the RAID and data storage issues. I suspect I am not the only one.
    besides a web drive means with an internet connection I am connected to my images anytime

btw,
    how do pro photogs store their pics?i mean..they shoot almost every week...weddings and such...
    wont they run out of storage space so much faster than me?or you mean after they pass the pics to clients, they delete all of them from their HDD?

pro photogs care to share?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    it's getting chimer and chimer...i'm lost at page 6.

but i'll just stick to HDD and be more diligent in backing up my pics.
    it's really a pain to go through all of them and filter out what i want/dont want, and wait a few hours for the data to be transferred to another HDD.
    lesson learnt...
    hahah sorry we seemed to have hijacked your thread for our own discussions...

actually what software do you use to help u filter the photos?
    i find faststone image viewer useful for sorting photos.

they run servers with loads of HDDs.

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    hahah sorry we seemed to have hijacked your thread for our own discussions...

actually what software do you use to help u filter the photos?
    i find faststone image viewer useful for sorting photos.
    LIghtroom.i just roughly browse through...then click delete...it also deletes the pic from the HDD if i choose that.
    prob is...i'm so trigger happy and i always shoot in raw.so my data really explodes.

your discussions is most welcomed...only thing is i hate myself for not knowing more of IT stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    btw,
    how do pro photogs store their pics?i mean..they shoot almost every week...weddings and such...
    wont they run out of storage space so much faster than me?or you mean after they pass the pics to clients, they delete all of them from their HDD?

pro photogs care to share?
    haha what I learnt from my shifu is to be more critical.
    besides for them its work not hobby
    so they dun waste time on images they know they are not going to use ever

I find that self censorship is very useful for improving your photog eye..

hahaha I think I treat deleting the useless images like removing traces of evidence that I shoot like an amateur hahahah

Just to share on how I backup the wedding photos I took for my client (without exploding my hard disk);

1. RAW files taken for each wedding backup to DVD, 1 set into my IMAC, 1 set into my PC
    2. After processing RAW into JPEG, the RAW is deleted from both IMAC & PC.
    3. High resolution JPEG (3~5MB each) is given to client, it's resize to 3000x2000 300dpi (~1MB) for storage to my IMAC & PC.

Personally I do not find the needs to keep high resolution files as it took up too much space & chances I need high resolution files in future is slim. 3000x2000 size is sufficient for me to do coffee table at a size of 12x12 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by KTKTKT View Post
    Just to share on how I backup the wedding photos I took for my client (without exploding my hard disk);

1. RAW files taken for each wedding backup to DVD, 1 set into my IMAC, 1 set into my PC
    2. After processing RAW into JPEG, the RAW is deleted from both IMAC & PC.
    3. High resolution JPEG (3~5MB each) is given to client, it's resize to 3000x2000 300dpi (~1MB) for storage to my IMAC & PC.

Personally I do not find the needs to keep high resolution files as it took up too much space & chances I need high resolution files in future is slim. 3000x2000 size is sufficient for me to do coffee table at a size of 12x12 inch.
    thanks for sharing.

I used to work (before I retired to my life of leisurely study )... in a commercial studio that shoots with medium format 16 and 31Mpixel backs (and those guys have huge files) and was in charge of backing up... what I have posted so far applies...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    I used to work (before I retired to my life of leisurely study )... in a commercial studio that shoots with medium format 16 and 31Mpixel backs (and those guys have huge files) and was in charge of backing up... what I have posted so far applies...
    oic.i'll reread them when i have time.
    thanks so much for the inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    hahaha I think I treat deleting the useless images like removing traces of evidence that I shoot like an amateur hahahah
    actually amateur is not regarded to be not as good as professionals, at least in terms of photography and certain fields that are open to access to the general public. amateur itself means a person in the love/passion (from the root word in french) for something which is done uncommissioned whereas professional means someone who has undergone formal training and performs to a certain standard in a job that he is paid for, thereby setting the difference in the consistency of the averaged performance between the professsional and amateur population. but then amateurs can be as good as and given sufficient talent and practice can also be better than professionals - the same goes for guerilla versus regular armed forces.

shooting like an amateur can also mean shooting something not of commercial interest to your client, if you take it from the real sense.
    Last edited by zoossh; 28th December 2007 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    actually amateur is not regarded to be not as good as professionals, at least in terms of photography and certain fields that are open to access to the general public. amateur itself means a person in the love/passion (from the root word in french) for something which is done uncommissioned whereas professional means someone who has undergone formal training and performs to a certain standard in a job that he is paid for, thereby setting the difference in the consistency of the averaged performance between the professsional and amateur population. but then amateurs can be as good as and given sufficient talent and practice can also be better than professionals - the same goes for guerilla versus regular armed forces.

shooting like an amateur can also mean shooting something not of commercial interest to your client, if you take it from the real sense.
    lolz.. was trying to be PC and not be disparaging to newbies
    abit OT leh..

is it advisable to put my ext HDD into the dricabi?
    this is because i have too many and i'm running out of space around my workstation to store them.

the jury is out on long term storage of hard drives in dry cabinets... some have said that long term storage under really dry conditions might not be a good idea, but usually those are like extreme conditions... operating humidity for consumer drives aren't normally listed, but if they are anyware near server drives (which are typically 5-95% non-operating) then shouldn't be a problem...

a dry cabinet set for camera equipment should be fine... I store mine in my dry cabinet as well... conventional wisdom is that dust and temperature are much bigger issues, so in a dry cabinet set in a cool area, a temperature controlled condition with less dust would benefit the hard drive storage...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    the jury is out on long term storage of hard drives in dry cabinets... some have said that long term storage under really dry conditions might not be a good idea, but usually those are like extreme conditions... operating humidity for consumer drives aren't normally listed, but if they are anyware near server drives (which are typically 5-95% non-operating) then shouldn't be a problem...

a dry cabinet set for camera equipment should be fine... I store mine in my dry cabinet as well... conventional wisdom is that dust and temperature are much bigger issues, so in a dry cabinet set in a cool area, a temperature controlled condition with less dust would benefit the hard drive storage...
    thank you!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567