Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: running out of HDD space....again

Default Re: running out of HDD space....again

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    what kind of upgrade would that require? the mobo?
    nope, you can plug in the eSATA interface directly to a SATA port on your motherboard... which i believe most of our MB already have SATA connection.

TMC,
    ic ic...

sigh..that means i paid more for the freeagent pro for nothing...thinking i will have the esata connection....
    so much so for doing 'homework'...

sigh sigh sigh....

one thing that caught my eye yesterday was the Netgear NAS NV+, 4 bay with 2x500GB preloaded. Nice and slick, just need to wait till 1TB drives drop price.

actually if your motherboard has a free SATA port, can just get a cheap eSATA plate and connect that to your motherboard... shouldn't cost more than $10 (I think)...

the thing about eSATA is that it is actually the same signal more or less as SATA, just that the cable and sockets for it are more robust so that it can be used on external devices... and the advantage for eSATA over Firewire and USB, over and above the current advantage in speed, is that because SATA is the basic format for the motherboard communicating with a HDD, and there is no conversion of the signal from SATA to another format (USB or Firewire), it is less processor intensive, which might be useful if your computer is being heavily worked when you are doing transfer... in any case, even if USB3 were to turn up, current HDDs can't even use the full speed of eSATA (unless possibly you use a large number of disks in RAID 0, which shouldn't be the case if you are doing backup storage) so there would be no speed advantage from USB3 over eSATA, whereas the processor intensity advantage over USB3 would still be there...

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    nope, you can plug in the eSATA interface directly to a SATA port on your motherboard... which i believe most of our MB already have SATA connection.
    nope. i mean the new usb 3. what is needed to support that function?

there will probably be pcie cards that you can stick into your computer to give you usb3 when it comes out if you don't want to change your motherboard... but for storage, like I mentioned in the previous post, you're better off with eSATA...

well, most probably PCIe like what theRBK have said or thru motherboard... but i don think this is even an issue right now as you probably be seeing any deviced armed with them 2 years later... speed is amazingly 60% faster than the current SATA2 (3.0Gbs), but then i think most consumer harddisk doesn't even achieve any read/write speed close to that...

The "SuperSpeed" USB Promotions Group was announced Tuesday at the Intel Developer Forum. The promotions group will get together with contributors over the next year to finalize a USB 3.0 spec that will, they hope, take care of our wired peripheral and syncing needs for another five years or more.

USB 3.0 is built upon, and is backwards-compatible with, the USB 2.0 "High Speed" spec. It would be generous to even call the specifications "early" at this stage, but the group still had lots of information about how USB 3.0 will work and what features it will provide. The spec should be finalized sometime in the middle of 2008, with initial devices available in '09, and broad deployment by 2010.

The main two goals of SuperSpeed USB are to provide a 10X boost in transfer rate (from 480-Mbits/s in USB 2.0 to 4.8 Gbits/s in USB 3.0), while dramatically lowering power consumption. One example of their speed goals is to transfer a 27GB HD movie to a portable device in 70 seconds. The same thing would take 15 minutes or more with HighSpeed USB (2.0). The SuperSpeed devices will use the same connectors and the same programming and device models as existing devices.
    full article http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2184743,00.asp

wah seh.. 4TB of video and pics? SLS shops must really love u siah.
    I have played with idea of converting an old PC into a NAS with freenas..
    that might be the cheapest cost solution for you if you already have an old PC lying around. especially if you wish to search across HDD. I could help you through it if you wish..

my 400gb hdd is filling up without a backup.
    so i recently bot a usb-sata/ide cable for $23
    i plan to buy another 400gb 3.5" and backup to that disk and keep it safe somewhere..

btw you might want to check out teracopy software.
    its cool for windows for copying alot of files.
    you can do a test to c if the copied file is the same with the 'test' button.
    very useful for large backups

you might want to also look for duplicate finder software..

one thing that others do is to move very old data to dvds
    especially when you seldom access it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i really do have a lot of pics...and to me, i tend to keep 90% of my shots.
    and these 4 TB of data also includes videos...hence, there's just so much data.

CYRN,
    the link you put hor...very poisonous...just by looking at it makes me really want one!

i really wish one fine day, they make a HDD that can contain 100TB.then i would consolidate all my data into 2 of these babies and junk all the other HDD.

i'm having so much HDD that i dont even know where my pics are kept and i have to screen through one HDD by one HDD to find one series...
    sigh....

i think there are more than enough talks about all the various RAID systems that so many kind CS-ers had mentioned to the starter of this thread..

maybe i can suggest a less complicated and simple method:

(Alternative method)

Cost$:
    - just buy 02 big harddisk drives (HDD)

Method:
    - backup your existing HDD's stuffs to the 1st big HDD every week
    - at the 2nd week, backup/flush <all> in the 1st big HDD to the 2nd big HDD
    - therefore, the flow looks like this:-
    [Existing HDD >> (every week) >> 1st big HDD >> (every week) >> 2nd big HDD]

Advantage:
    - you shall achieved a simple backup strategy of having more than 01 set of your files in the simplest way available for a non-IT person.
    - you can also take your time to purchase the 2nd big HDD if you are cost-conscious
    - as HDD reliability had increased over the years, you can safely use a new HDD for more than 02 years
    - and maybe get a bigger, more reliable, cheaper every other year and replace the older HDD as years passes..
    - there is no restrictions in the "interfaces" that you can use; ie. IDE / USB / USB2 / SATA / eSATA / SCSI / iSCSI / NAS / DAS / SAN / ...

the problem of pwer points is not solved

Skypen: Unless you are talking about using multiple bay HDD enclosures that only uses 1 powerpoint, getting 2 HDDs with its separate housing would require more power points, and that is a problem. BTW HDD reliability is hardly getting any better.
    Last edited by TMC; 27th December 2007 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post

Skypen: Unless you are talking about using multiple bay HDD enclosures that only uses 1 powerpoint, getting 2 HDDs with its separate housing would require more power points, and that is a problem. BTW HDD reliability is hardly getting any better.
    kekek hence i opted for my usb-sata/ide cable option
    one plug jus have to change the plugged in HDD though
    hmm u cld even keep ur archive hdd in dry cabbie to prolong life! hahaha

posted this free software for auto backups before
    http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-...ive-147855.php
    might be useful for those with NAS and wans automated backup.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post

heehee

there is no <extra power> requirements for my alternative method.

my method does not requires the usage of any "multiple bay" enclosures. just normal single HD external enclosure will do. Furthermore, as this is just for the purpose of backup, there is no requirement to keep it connected to the PC constantly at all, other than during that short window of time for the backup from PC to 1st big HDD.

Furthermore, if the user choose to use the USB HDD enclosure, there is no "power supply" issue to start with, in the first place. Plug in the USB cable to PC and viola!

Maybe, to clarify my alternative method, think of it as a "very simple" solution. it is a <backup> process, not a <constant, plugged in, copying, RAID usage> process. Only needs to use 01 new big HDD as-and-when required for backup-ing purpose; only be using either the USB port or eSATA port or LAN port or maybe, just maybe, FC card + FC cables (if using NAS/SAN).

The main purpose of all these technologies is simply to have a backup process to keep our valuable images from getting lost/corrupted/damaged/overwritten/virus-infection/.. and at the same time not to spend too much extra money.

Purchasing a simple USB enclosure with 500GB will probably cost S$220; getting a 2nd 500GB HDD will probably cost another S$220.

A respectable brand of multiple
    bay HDD storage with HDDs / NAS / SAN / .. will probably cost you more than S$500.

In short, it is a cheap and simple alternative to backup our valuable images, with a as-and-when connection to our main PC for backup purpose. Having the 2nd big HDD merely act as a failover / backup of the backup. optional. Meant for an added peace of mind.

(For those whom studied IT, it is called "grandfather, father and son" backup solution.)

Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    kekek hence i opted for my usb-sata/ide cable option
    one plug jus have to change the plugged in HDD though
    hmm u cld even keep ur archive hdd in dry cabbie to prolong life! hahaha

posted this free software for auto backups before
    http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-...ive-147855.php
    might be useful for those with NAS and wans automated backup.

hi slaam, your method sounds very familiar..

Quote Originally Posted by skypen View Post
    hi slaam, your method sounds very familiar..
    hahah cos same method mah but u describe in more generic terms .
    i called it slaam's cheapskate RAID (before u taught me the IT name)
    Redundant As I Deem (fit)

RAID is overkill for most users who wants jus data backed up
    RAID is more useful for entire server backups IMHO.

but lolz jeanie's 4TB requirement.. I think the shared server that i use only has 2 TB (which i assume is RAID). maybe she shld start talking to HP or IBM

i wonder if on the fly file compression would help reduce her storage requirements....

Wah......this thread is good timing sia.

I am fighting with a stupid NAS setup right now and trying to figure out a way to back up my data..

USB is slow
    Firewire + SATA is hard to find (though I think I can find one)
    I have a Mac
    NAS also got their own problems

The worst part is that I work in this industry....and still haven't gotten it all figured out. Almost enough to make me want to take everything and just throw it out.

So don't feel bad..

are there 3.5in drives powered by USB?... would be useful if there are... but otherwise, more economical to use external powered 3.5in drives than USB powered 2.5in drives...

one thing about copying stuff manually to harddrives... the more complicated the procedure, the more likely for the process to be less religiously followed...

Quote Originally Posted by skypen View Post
    heehee

there is no <extra power> requirements for my alternative method.

my method does not requires the usage of any "multiple bay" enclosures. just normal single HD external enclosure will do. Furthermore, as this is just for the purpose of backup, there is no requirement to keep it connected to the PC constantly at all, other than during that short window of time for the backup from PC to 1st big HDD.

Furthermore, if the user choose to use the USB HDD enclosure, there is no "power supply" issue to start with, in the first place. Plug in the USB cable to PC and viola!

Maybe, to clarify my alternative method, think of it as a "very simple" solution. it is a <backup> process, not a <constant, plugged in, copying, RAID usage> process. Only needs to use 01 new big HDD as-and-when required for backup-ing purpose; only be using either the USB port or eSATA port or LAN port or maybe, just maybe, FC card + FC cables (if using NAS/SAN).

The main purpose of all these technologies is simply to have a backup process to keep our valuable images from getting lost/corrupted/damaged/overwritten/virus-infection/.. and at the same time not to spend too much extra money.

Purchasing a simple USB enclosure with 500GB will probably cost S$220; getting a 2nd 500GB HDD will probably cost another S$220.

A respectable brand of multiple
    bay HDD storage with HDDs / NAS / SAN / .. will probably cost you more than S$500.

In short, it is a cheap and simple alternative to backup our valuable images, with a as-and-when connection to our main PC for backup purpose. Having the 2nd big HDD merely act as a failover / backup of the backup. optional. Meant for an added peace of mind.

(For those whom studied IT, it is called "grandfather, father and son" backup solution.)
    i think jeanie's worries (as well as mine in time) is that a single 500GB HDD is not enough to store even 1 set of her images. if she is going to use 2 HDD for a basic set, she still need to have a multi-bay (a 2 bay IOL or IOI, can't remember the taiwanese brand cost abt 100+) enclosure, or unless she plug in one, transfer, then take it out and plug in another hdd and transfer. the same can still be applied in your method, i.e. routine 1-2 weekly interval.

one consideration for those who wanted a multi-bay enclosure (possibly up to 4dvds) is that they may want to avoid the hassle of plugging on and off, on and off the powerpoint, and secondly with constantly 2 set of backups at any one time, and thirdly maybe there are a lot of smaller volume hdds left behind, so might as well put them together.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    are there 3.5in drives powered by USB?... would be useful if there are... but otherwise, more economical to use external powered 3.5in drives than USB powered 2.5in drives...

one thing about copying stuff manually to harddrives... the more complicated the procedure, the more likely for the process to be less religiously followed...
    my usb always run dead when my cpu plugs in too many things.

my usb always run dead when my cpu plugs in too many things.
    try powered usb hubs... those that require a power imput from a power socket...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    try powered usb hubs... those that require a power imput from a power socket...
    also the same. but less frequent when i upgraded the power box thingy in the cpu.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast