Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: running out of HDD space....again

Default Re: running out of HDD space....again

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    i would like to clarify some basic concepts on RAID. so if i have 3 x 500GB hdd put in RAID, i would still see one single hdd drive in explorer, say maybe G:.

1. So would i see about 1400+ or 400+ GB of space for storage?
    (assuming you are talking about RAID 5) I believe you would have:

([number of HDD]-1)x(size of smallest HDD)=1000GB (or 1TB)

2. say if part of a single hdd is faulty, requiring the other two hdd to regenerate those data, so that you will get back the same thing, would we be able to know it when it happens?
    depending on the particular system, you might get a pop-up, an email, a buzzer sounding, an LCD/LED screen warning, or any combination of the above...
    Last edited by theRBK; 22nd December 2007 at 08:15 PM.

thanks, RBK

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    RAID 0 = you probably see it as a single 1.5TB drive
    i mention what i did is from my main drive in the computer (d, i synchronise to maybe another 2 external drives, someone said i'm doing manual raid 1, i.e. although i got 1TB at dispose externally, if everything is strictly raid 1, i have only 500GB of data but 2 sets of them.

so does raid 0 means no raid, i.e. i combine 3 physical hdd of 500GB each into a drive entity of 1.5TB, where i can copy 1.5TB of data over to the external drive?

i would like to clarify some basic concepts on RAID. so if i have 3 x 500GB hdd put in RAID, i would still see one single hdd drive in explorer, say maybe G:.

1. So would i see about 1400+ or 400+ GB of space for storage?

2. say if part of a single hdd is faulty, requiring the other two hdd to regenerate those data, so that you will get back the same thing, would we be able to know it when it happens?
    You can try the following to get the total array size for different RAID configuration.

http://www.ibeast.com/content/tools/...c/RaidCalc.asp

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoDog View Post
    You can try the following to get the total array size for different RAID configuration.

http://www.ibeast.com/content/tools/...c/RaidCalc.asp
    thanks. that link is really helpful

vince123123
    Guests

If I understand it correctly, Raid 0 isn't exactly no RAID. The information will be written across three HDDs, and you will get a single volume large disk. The upside of RAID 0 is increased performance, and the downside is if one disk fails, everything is lost.

There is another protocol that you can do further checking on as I don't know much about it, but its a non-RAID protocol called JBOD, whihc means Just a Bunch of Disks. That also combines a few HDDs to form a single large HDD - I'm not sure if the risk of failure is less than that of RAID 0 though.

i mention what i did is from my main drive in the computer (d, i synchronise to maybe another 2 external drives, someone said i'm doing manual raid 1, i.e. although i got 1TB at dispose externally, if everything is strictly raid 1, i have only 500GB of data but 2 sets of them.

so does raid 0 means no raid, i.e. i combine 3 physical hdd of 500GB each into a drive entity of 1.5TB, where i can copy 1.5TB of data over to the external drive?

I believe with JBOD, you don't really get much benefit... on the one hand, performance is not improved like it is in RAID 0 because data is written sequentially from one disk to the next when the first is full and so on; on the other hand, there is no extra security in that data is not duplicated as in other forms of RAID besides RAID 0... and added to that, you probably also have to do recovery when any one of the HDDs fail... might as well just leave a bunch of discs as independent discs...

raid 0 - stripping across drives 2x500gig = 1tera
    * speeds up system as both disk are in use at all time. not safe as any 1 hdd fail, array fails. no redundancy... dun even think abt this. it only fast.

raid 1 - mirroring 2x500gig = 500gig
    * copies exactly across 2 hdd. 1 fail, another acts as backup

raid 5 - stripping with parity. 3x500 = 1tera
    *this is where raids gets fun. minimum you will need 3 hdd. 1 fails, you can rebuild array without loss and much down time or loss of data

with all raid, you will need the same size hdd. otherwise the lowest capacity will be the max per disk. generally go for a hardware solution for raid otherwise your processor will be hit.

historically scsi hdd were used due to speed, 24/7 use, better reliability. nowaways "inexpensive" disks ie ide hdd (raid - redundant array of inexpensive disks) are common ;thanks to perpendicular technology in hdd. go for second generation if possible.

buy a raid card and install as many disk you want in a large pc casing (coolermaster stacker for example a hdd enclosure can contain 4hdd x 2 to 3 enclosures) or a external raid tower. btw ide hdd can fail collectively if bought together from the same batch! so be carefull abt that too!

simpliest solution? get an external hdd casing. back up your pc hdd to external hdd.

really getting chim...sigh...

but too late....i just bought 2 seagate freeagent pro 500GB.
    i spend the whole day only manage to archive near 1TB of data....
    goodness gracious,this is the price to pay for having poor housekeeping...

btw, it has esata but how come cable is not included in the box?
    and where do i connect the esata connection to my com?doesnt seem to have that kind of connection anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    As previously mentioned, rather than 6 separate HDD externally, why dont you buy ONE tower system which can put LOTS of HDDs inside. Then you jsut put it next to your existing PC or something.

I have a small tower product that can put 8HDDs inside (and HDDs only) - quite cost effective too.

They look something like this:
    http://www.genius-asia.com.sg/eg/products_cfi-b8283.htm

this looks NEAT!can get in sgp?

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    archiving is a tedious but necessary... what you can do is go down to storage studio in Sim Lim and talk to the people there about options... they can build a multidrive storage appliance for you like what other poster's have suggested... or you can get the ready made options... like I mentioned, those ready made options work just like a regular drive - all the RAID and stuff happens behind the scenes and you don't have to think of it as anything other than a singular harddrive, without having to configure anything or adjust any settings...

as for eSATA, products that support such usually come with a eSATA backplate you can attach to your casing, plug in the backplate's cable to a free SATA port at the back of your computer, and you're ready to go... the speed of the transfer would be like if you were using an internal HDD, faster than both USB2 and Firewire800... that's how I connect my RAID1 appliance to my computer...

as for the mess of files, what is needed is to get organized... some programs can help you do that like Lightroom or Aperture for Mac... or there are specialized media management programs like Expression Media and Extensis Portfolio where you can track where all your images are even if they have been burnt to a DVD or in a harddrive that is not connected to your computer at that point in time...

to be really honest...i HATE going to SLS.
    not only my car can barely pass the slope without scratching, but generally the SLS sales attitude sucks.
    not to mention me being a gal, is like a walking carrot.
    + the fact i dunno much about hardware (or software) stuffs....you should know how easy it is to katok me.
    that's why i started this thread in a way...to get more genuine information from you guys.

my SG 500GB is only a temp solution.eventually, i would really love to build a tower of storage.

RAID 0 is completely different from RAID 1, Raid 1 provide redundancy (able to recover if 1 HDD fail), but not RAID 0 as it strip the data across all HDD (3 in your case, thats why effectively the 3 HDD looks like a single 1.5TB drive) without any parity bits (mean for recovering).
    like what jimmy said, Raid 0 is good at speed as now your comp can access 3 HDD instead of just 1. (but speed boost is definitely not 3x )

ok, if you are looking at RAID 0 and then backup on external HDD, this can also be considered as RAID 10, like i said in my previous post its RAID 0+1 effectively. this will improve in redundancy and also performance but downside is you probably be needing 6x 500GB for a effective 1.5TB storage

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post

and where do i connect the esata connection to my com?doesnt seem to have that kind of connection anywhere.
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...&reqPage=Model

eSATA cable is not included...

this looks NEAT!can get in sgp?
    at Storage Studio (that's the local representation of that company who's website was linked in the earlier post with the image)... their prices might not be the lowest (their HDD prices are usually pretty decent though) but their service is usually pretty good and they have a wide variety of storage stuff... if unsure of shopping at Sim Lim, can always call for backup

but for backingup data, I don't recommend any 0 form of RAID (RAID 0, 1+0, 0+1, etc) cause any increase in speed comes at a price of extra HDD without increasing capacity, and the very fastest speed is usually not a top priority in backup storage... I think the extra HDD could be better used for extra storage capacity

This means your pc does not come with eSATA connection. U can always get a card to plug into your pc if u want. Not so recommended if u knows nuts about pc. Wait for a few months down the road, u can get USB 3.0 which should 3 times the speed of eSATA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelim View Post
    This means your pc does not come with eSATA connection. U can always get a card to plug into your pc if u want. Not so recommended if u knows nuts about pc. Wait for a few months down the road, u can get USB 3.0 which should 3 times the speed of eSATA.
    what kind of upgrade would that require? the mobo?

huh?
    u rather pay instead of developing a better housekeeping workflow?

you'd better catalog your images properly before they grow too much to handle.
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelim View Post
    does macpro comes with esata or new usb3.0?

i'm quite sure my next pc will be macpro.
    i'm tired of PC already.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    huh?
    u rather pay instead of developing a better housekeeping workflow?

you'd better catalog your images properly before they grow too much to handle.
    i spent my whole weekend archiving my pics...really cant believe i'm doing this...sigh..

macs do not use esata connection as far as i know. USB3.0 might be used but not until it has become confirmed.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast