Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: running out of HDD space....again

Default Re: running out of HDD space....again

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    that's why i am going to put them in 4 baskets instead.
    with 4 power points, and 4 separate connections to the computer (i think only 1 can run at one time). 2 bay x 2 might be a better idea, but dual bay are more costly.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    You gonna need this sooner or later.
    bad link lei.what's that?

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    with 4 power points, and 4 separate connections to the computer (i think only 1 can run at one time). 2 bay x 2 might be a better idea, but dual bay are more costly.
    i definitely cant connect 4 power points to all 4.
    i think i will need to backup one HDD at one time...sigh...

aint there a better storage system that doesnt take up so much physical space?
    now i have like 6 HDD ext already...

i wonder how professional photogs store their pics...

You gonna need this sooner or later.
    bad link lei.what's that?
    Most likely typo in his url; my best guess: http://www.apple.com.sg/xserve/raid/

becos they can spend professional money on that. really, it depends on the amount you want to spend versus the hassle for cheaper methoids.

you can use a extension cord to link to all 4 power cables to all 4 separate casing (between hdd to power point). you can choose to power each of them as when necessary, or power them all at the same time (although it depends on your home electric lines to see if it will allow so much power to be drawn through one point).

however, i think the computer can allow recognise 1 connection (between hdd to computer) at one time. i notice that when i plug a firewire to a dual-hdd bay and another usb to another hdd bay, both to the computer, 1 of the device will not be able to be recognise by the computer. despite of both devices having their own power supply, it seems to require power from the CPU itself to maintain that connection, and so if my CPU power is not enough, the device will fail for that duration until only 1 connection is made. so the power cable to the external units is not a limitation, but the connection is. i cannot synchronise 2 separate casing at the same time.

however, if i run 2 hdds within the same casing run by one power cable, and connected to the computer through 1 connection (either firewire or usb), it works. you thus can synchronise the same data into both hdd at the same time. for example, files A, B, C are to be synchronise and kept, while D and E are unwanted.

C:/ A + B + C (after D and E deleted on your computer)
    D:/ B + D (1st external hdd in dual bay casing)
    E:/ E (2nd external hdd in dual bay casing)

after synchronisation
    C:/ A + B + C
    D:/ A + B + C
    E:/ A + B + C

if you have 2 x dual-bay casing for 4 hdds, you probably need to do 2 backups separately (unless someone can advice me on what can i do to avoid that power failure with two external casings). if you use 4 separate bays, 4 separate backups. that is why i think a single 4-bay casing sounds good, but expensive.....

i'm using syncback freeware. but they have 2 problems which may be due to settings (i also not sure why and how, that is why i say i'm very computer illiterate and cannot troubleshoot).

1. dun recognise non-english characters in file names. problems with backup of mp3s or other files with non-english characters.

2. have problem with files with multiple and long directory names.
    e.g. c:/folder a/folder b/folder c/folder d/folder e/folder f/folder g/file h
    Last edited by zoossh; 21st December 2007 at 09:18 PM.

actually jeanie, why dun you buy 2 x 500GB first? buy what you need more, dun anticipate too far ahead, as hdd price does drop after half a year to a year plus.... unless your rate of "growth" is very fast, if not buy accordingly as your demand grows. i feel that is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ah.zeep View Post
    Most likely typo in his url; my best guess: http://www.apple.com.sg/xserve/raid/
    oops , yup.. the http thingy got repeated.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Really, 4TB is quite a mouthful of storage.

It time you be more critical of your works and select the gems from the keepers. Keep the RAW for gems and convert your keepers to JPEGs.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Really, 4TB is quite a mouthful of storage.

It time you be more critical of your works and select the gems from the keepers. Keep the RAW for gems and convert your keepers to JPEGs.
    4TB is indeed a lot, but there are other things meant for backup too. besides some people does have significantly more gem than the others, so it is really up to individuals.

actually, Buffalo does not produce their own HDDs... they use drives from the big manufacturers...

for me, I back up to RAID1, and then stow the full drives and replace them with a pair of new drives... unfortunately, I keep them in the same location so I am just guarding against mechanical failure...

as well, I make another backup to DVD... but you do need to update these discs when a new standard comes along, like I recently re-backed up the stuff from when I used CD-Rs and copied it to DVDs... would probably do the same when the new high density disc format is settled... just to make sure that your data will still be readable in future optical drives...

it might sound daunting to backup huge amounts to DVD, but just do it over time... or just backup those that definitely need to be safe...

thanks so much guys...for the information.

zoosh...ya...i'll prob get 2x 500gb first.

frankly, the dual bay thingy and the network thingy...i'm afraid buy liao also dunno how to use.

i really do have a lot of pics...and to me, i tend to keep 90% of my shots.
    and these 4 TB of data also includes videos...hence, there's just so much data.

CYRN,
    the link you put hor...very poisonous...just by looking at it makes me really want one!

i really wish one fine day, they make a HDD that can contain 100TB.then i would consolidate all my data into 2 of these babies and junk all the other HDD.

i'm having so much HDD that i dont even know where my pics are kept and i have to screen through one HDD by one HDD to find one series...
    sigh....

Looking forward to jeanie's personal data centre to store all her TB's of memories

thanks so much guys...for the information.

zoosh...ya...i'll prob get 2x 500gb first.

frankly, the dual bay thingy and the network thingy...i'm afraid buy liao also dunno how to use.

i really do have a lot of pics...and to me, i tend to keep 90% of my shots.
    and these 4 TB of data also includes videos...hence, there's just so much data.

CYRN,
    the link you put hor...very poisonous...just by looking at it makes me really want one!

i really wish one fine day, they make a HDD that can contain 100TB.then i would consolidate all my data into 2 of these babies and junk all the other HDD.

i'm having so much HDD that i dont even know where my pics are kept and i have to screen through one HDD by one HDD to find one series...
    sigh....
    Get this , 5 bays for u to play with on 1 single power connection. Someone I know is using 2 of these to back up his stuff and backup the backup.

http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=11&pid=8

now looking at http://www.genius-asia.com.sg/eg/fil...2007.12.14.pdf

CFI-4043U
    S$254
    USB2.0
    4 bay IDE | SATA

looks the cheapest for 4 bay.

now looking at http://www.genius-asia.com.sg/eg/fil...2007.12.14.pdf

CFI-4043U
    S$254
    USB2.0
    4 bay IDE | SATA

looks the cheapest for 4 bay.
    I would top up $80 for the CFI-B4043PM for its eSATA and functionalities. usb transfer would be a pretty bad bottleneck for massive file transfer/backup (provided the drive controller is fast)
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 22nd December 2007 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    I would top up $80 for the CFI-B4043PM for its eSATA and functionalities. usb transfer would be a pretty bad bottleneck for massive file transfer/backup (provided the drive controller is fast)
    but the con is that i have to get

1. a sata connection onto the computer's cpu casing?

2. it cannot hold an older pata drive right?

vince123123
    Guests

As previously mentioned, rather than 6 separate HDD externally, why dont you buy ONE tower system which can put LOTS of HDDs inside. Then you jsut put it next to your existing PC or something.

I have a small tower product that can put 8HDDs inside (and HDDs only) - quite cost effective too.

They look something like this:
    http://www.genius-asia.com.sg/eg/products_cfi-b8283.htm

Last edited by vince123123; 22nd December 2007 at 03:56 PM.

archiving is a tedious but necessary... what you can do is go down to storage studio in Sim Lim and talk to the people there about options... they can build a multidrive storage appliance for you like what other poster's have suggested... or you can get the ready made options... like I mentioned, those ready made options work just like a regular drive - all the RAID and stuff happens behind the scenes and you don't have to think of it as anything other than a singular harddrive, without having to configure anything or adjust any settings...

as for eSATA, products that support such usually come with a eSATA backplate you can attach to your casing, plug in the backplate's cable to a free SATA port at the back of your computer, and you're ready to go... the speed of the transfer would be like if you were using an internal HDD, faster than both USB2 and Firewire800... that's how I connect my RAID1 appliance to my computer...

as for the mess of files, what is needed is to get organized... some programs can help you do that like Lightroom or Aperture for Mac... or there are specialized media management programs like Expression Media and Extensis Portfolio where you can track where all your images are even if they have been burnt to a DVD or in a harddrive that is not connected to your computer at that point in time...

i would like to clarify some basic concepts on RAID. so if i have 3 x 500GB hdd put in RAID, i would still see one single hdd drive in explorer, say maybe G:.

1. So would i see about 1400+ or 400+ GB of space for storage?

2. say if part of a single hdd is faulty, requiring the other two hdd to regenerate those data, so that you will get back the same thing, would we be able to know it when it happens?

i would like to clarify some basic concepts on RAID. so if i have 3 x 500GB hdd put in RAID, i would still see one single hdd drive in explorer, say maybe G:.

1. So would i see about 1400+ or 400+ GB of space for storage?

2. say if part of a single hdd is faulty, requiring the other two hdd to regenerate those data, so that you will get back the same thing, would we be able to know it when it happens?
    it depends on which RAID you talking about
    i might be wrong tho, but
    RAID 0 = you probably see it as a single 1.5TB drive
    RAID 1 = eh 3 HDD... that be 500GB on RAID 0(mirror) and a individual 500gb left standalone i believe
    RAID 5 = you will see this as a 1TB drive as the other 500GB is used as parity (ok, actually parity bits are mixed in all 3, but effective storage would be 1TB)
    RAID 10 = not that common, but iirc its a combination of RAID 0 and 1
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 22nd December 2007 at 08:11 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast