Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: running out of HDD space....again

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: running out of HDD space....again

You are basically doing it as a manual RAID 1 system; with frequencies determined by your backup cycle. RAID 1 does it on the fly and up to the second.

I am still quite wary of RAID even with RAID 5 (being the most cost effective). Data recovery on raid arrays can get horrendously expensive or so I heard. Even normal data recovery costs thousands (although I was lucky to know a vendor who charged me only 700 bucks for recovery last time).

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    i'm not very computer literate and have no idea on the execution part (exactly how to do part) of RAID and networking. so far are using dual-bay sata external hdd casing running by firewire/usb to computer to do multiple backups on different hdd using syncback to synchronise, i.e. everything i do to the computer, the changes will be made to the external hdd when i synchronise.

can experts here suggest if there is better way of doing things apart from RAID and networking that require some technical knowledge? or is what i'm doing so far the safest for computer illiterates?

yah, i saw the price of 1TB terastation. $1200...
    1TB hdd without casing runs at about $500
    500GB hdd cost abt <$200 each. looks like the most cost-effective at the moment to have 2x500GB.

a whole server can go down anything even they have servers backing them up. So far for the consumer level, RAID 5 backing another RAID 5 is enough liao provided you have the cash to do it. Proper habits will keep your data for a long time.

vince123123
    Guests

hmm, instead of a raid 5 backing up another raid 5, would it be better to simply just raid 1 the whole thing? I'm not a techincal expert in this industry, but it does appear that with a whole raid 1, complex problems of rebuilding/restoring a raid 5 array are eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    a whole server can go down anything even they have servers backing them up. So far for the consumer level, RAID 5 backing another RAID 5 is enough liao provided you have the cash to do it. Proper habits will keep your data for a long time.

keep at least three separate copies in separate hdds. preferably, one off-site in case of disaster. no need for raid, but troublesome.

good, cheap, easy - pick any two..
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

hmmnn...HDD's yes it's good but very vulnerable even it's running on Raid 5...

You need a better backup management...
    One alternative to suggest is to utilize your DVD-Writer, can handle up to 8+GB(Dual Layer).

You can archive your old photos into DVD (but suggests to make 2 copies) then you can
    re-use the offloaded space in your HDD.
    You can also file the DVD Discs in which you can easily access whenever you need it.
    (you can do it by date, place, etc.etc..)

HDD disadvantages...
    1. once it fails, all you data will be gone...the higher capacity you have the more data to lose.
    2. Remember that once HDD is online, it is very susceptible to viruses, human errors.
    3. Even if you buy a 1TB capacity, it will always be not enough if you keep even old files
    there.

DVD Discs, just place it into a nice CD case then it will be protected BUT as what I say, you can always have 2 copies. DVD-R or DVR+R should be the way as anyway you don't need to recycle the discs as it will become your original copies. (Or you can always use DVD+/-RW.)

DVD Discs are also good as you can also carry it whenever you need it without thinking of losing the data, unless you lose the discs, while HDD...beware..you can't even accidentally drop it..or else you'll

DVD writer when spoiled? You can always buy a new one to use for your Archive discs.

Anyway, HDD and DVDRW (or Tape Drives) are complementary devices for a better backup management.

Cheers!

vince123123
    Guests

I find DVDs not that suitable because:

4.7GB DVDs are not sufficient to backup - I need over 100 discs to back up a single 500GB HDD.
    8GB DVDs are too expensive at this time.

DVDs may spoil faster than HDDs - we don't really know how long they can be kept and there's anecdotal accounts of how DVDs can't be read anymore.

HDDs are not "once fail all lost" - recovery can be quite good, up to 95% even (from my experience recovering two dead HDDs). I'm not sure if there is such a thing as DVD recovery services when a DVD fails to be read.

Just my opinion.

there is no perfect answer. everyone has their idea of what is best. so what is your "best" solution that is available in the current situation?

I'm currently using Linksys NAS, I guess cheapest solution for me at this moment.
    2x500GB + the NAS around S$625.
    Click Here
    Good thing u can connect to LAN or WAN, have power management option.
    The bad thing seem slow if u connect using 100MB network. I guess 1GB network card will be good.
    Last edited by armadillo; 21st December 2007 at 02:44 PM.

..there are companies offering data recovery services, not only for HDDs but as well other storage devices..just prepare for the pricing..

..HDD are very pretty much mechanical, and once it is full, you can't just leave it also on the shelve for a long time as the head might stuck which will give a very bad consequences.
    You have to use it once in a while to exercise the mechanical heads and motors.

Well, for a start, can practise a norm of copying data to DVD-R or +R before turning off the PC as you can set the PC to auto off after writing the data. So as not to accumulate more data in the HDDs. It is a matter of becoming a daily routine.

In case of emergency, you can always grab you CD case and run...

Anyway, just giving my 1 cent of idea.

i was advised to use dvd as backup too but in my case, it's impossible.

i have about 4TB of data to be backed up.
    to burn into DVD, i think i will be 80 years old liao...

hmmm plenty of data you have there
    how about using bluray disc, 1 single layer can store 25GB, dual layer 50GB

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post

Time to go through your pics and throw away those that are not necessary.

vince123123
    Guests

Hehe, welcome to the club.

I tried my first and only DVD backup of a 160GB HDD onto 25DVDs - it was so excruciating that I almost died.

Then I see my few TB of data and wonder how I can go through that again....and multiplied by 20.

Hence, my method (and hopefully of use to you since we are in similar situations) is to use HDDs to store the infromation. Every 1-2 years, buy new and bigger HDDs and transfer to those to refresh the data. Use the old HDDs for dynamic storage uses (scratch disk/downloads etc).

Oh and btw, my HDDs are not removed; they are kept constantly live so the problem of heads refusing to startup and stuck frozen, will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Time to go through your pics and throw away those that are not necessary.
    i will always screen through all my pics after a shoot.and trash rejects immediately.
    those 4TB of pics, confirmed i would want to keep all of them.

i just realised buffalo system made in taiwan?!?!?!??!?
    seriously, i rather go for seagate or maxtor.
    (please dont tell me they made in taiwan too).

Pardon me.... why you need such a big HDD space?

I would not recommend you to put all eggs in one basket....

Quote Originally Posted by martinchatswood View Post
    Pardon me.... why you need such a big HDD space?

I would not recommend you to put all eggs in one basket....
    that's why i am going to put them in 4 baskets instead.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I do have a question on RAID which no one can really answer to date. If I run a RAID 5 system, presumably when one goes down, I can use the rest to rebuilt.

The question is, do I need to replace the downed disk with another of identical model/brand/size etc? SOme told me that you need to; others say no need. THen I asked those who said need, what if it fails 2-3 years later and by that time I can't find that same model? ANd they tell me, to stock up in advance - that sounds like a weird way of doing things.

Any advice on RAID? RIght now I'm running without raid, and my system is to periodically refresh the data onto new HDDs every 1-2 years (from 120 + 160 + 200 to 4x300s and now 4x500s); with older HDDs handling dynamic data (e.g. downloads etc).

No necessary to get the same (less buffalo), but you must get similar capacity or bigger.

But unless you got some different varient of RAID that allows expansion (can't remember what brand) your total RAID capacity will always remain the same, cuz you can't swap all the HDD at once.
    Last edited by CYRN; 21st December 2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

that's why i am going to put them in 4 baskets instead.
    You gonna need this sooner or later.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Hehe, welcome to the club.

I tried my first and only DVD backup of a 160GB HDD onto 25DVDs - it was so excruciating that I almost died.

Then I see my few TB of data and wonder how I can go through that again....and multiplied by 20.

Hence, my method (and hopefully of use to you since we are in similar situations) is to use HDDs to store the infromation. Every 1-2 years, buy new and bigger HDDs and transfer to those to refresh the data. Use the old HDDs for dynamic storage uses (scratch disk/downloads etc).

Oh and btw, my HDDs are not removed; they are kept constantly live so the problem of heads refusing to startup and stuck frozen, will not happen.
    yah, i hate small volume backup. will die, also when there is this thing call cyclic redundancy, everything gone case too.

i will always screen through all my pics after a shoot.and trash rejects immediately.
    those 4TB of pics, confirmed i would want to keep all of them.

i just realised buffalo system made in taiwan?!?!?!??!?
    seriously, i rather go for seagate or maxtor.
    (please dont tell me they made in taiwan too).
    still much better than some places. and maybe that is why buffalo's system is quite expensive.

think it is a japanese brand with an office in the states.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast