Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: running out of HDD space....again

Default Re: running out of HDD space....again

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    RAID is acronym for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. Detailed explaination available from Wikipedia. One of RAID5 advantage is its (YMMV) ability to re-build lost data from the lost disk without using back-up harddisk. See explaination about Buffalo Terastation from Inter Genius.

Pricing information available from Hardware Zone or Inter Genius Asia or other sources

Buffalo Terstation is a Network Attached Storage (NAS) that connects to your computer via normal network cable. It comes with a software that allow on-the-fly back of data on your main hard disk, if you wish to do so. Else, you can upload your RAW picture image via the network to Terastation for storage after if you have completed attaching it to the computer network system.

BTW, Buffala Terastation is reviewed by Hardware Zone magazine.
    i dont need it to be a network drive cos i seldom access it from outside.

so can the buffalo still be used just like a normal drive, just for backup purposes?

network drive means i can access my pics from my workplace?which also means my HDD and computer at home needs to be constantly on?which also means if a hacker happens to chance by, he/she can leech the data from the network HDD?

i really apologise for the noob questions...me zero knowledge about IT stuffs

what you need then is a Buffalo DriveStation... see here... basically similar to the Terastation but using USB plug and play... you could go down to Storage Studio or Bizgram in Sim Lim and talk to the people there... personally I like the Storage Studio people... very friendly and helpful and I bought my RAID 1 (build-your-own) system there... also, atmosphere is less frentic then most Sim Lim shops
    Last edited by theRBK; 20th December 2007 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    network drive means i can access my pics from my workplace?which also means my HDD and computer at home needs to be constantly on?which also means if a hacker happens to chance by, he/she can leech the data from the network HDD?

Sigh...a long topic here i go....

With or without network drive / NAS, you can configure your home PC to be accessible from your workplace or anywhere else with internet remotely. A PC with internet connectivity always faces risks with hackers or worms. To counter that your OS must be patched frequently, secure with Anti-virus and Antispyware application, virus pattern definations updated every few days, most home modem/router are already equipped with basic firewall. This will deter most hackers but not 100%. Another thing, always have your OS local admin or root equipped with strong password authentication minimum 6 alphanumeric. This is just basic security.

Coming back to NAS, NAS are just storage with the capability to plug into the network to share storage. NAS in generally are not designed to directly plugged into your laptop or PC via USB or Firewire ports. Some NAS does allow you to plug n play via Firewire400/800 (800 is faster than 400) or USB2.0. NAS are mostly used in small office environment and are generally more expensive and reliable than those USB / Firewire portable external storage like Maxtor's 1 touch series.

The question is do you have a simple network setup at home? Are you the only one who requires storage? if you have other family members who wants storage too, investing on a NAS to centrally store everybody's data is cost efficient. If you are worried about privacy, permissions can be set so certain folders can be denied from access except you. But then again it requires you to play with it to fully firmilarised yourself with it's operation.

If yes you have a simple network at home, wired LAN/Wireless LAN, check out below it's a decent NAS with great features. There are other higher end models.http://www.snapserver.com/snap/en-US...servers/ss110/

Oh one more thing it's best that you get a friend who is in the IT industry to make sure you have the necessary equipment pre-requisites, before purchasing a NAS. We can only bring out this much on the forum.

If data is of importance get storage with RAID 5 capability. RAID is meant as hardware redundany, if the RAID5 system runs on 3 harddisk, it means if 1 harddisk dies the other 2 harddisk keeps everything running in a degraded performance until the faulty harddisk is replaced, data can be rebuilt into the replaced harddisk from info from the 2 surviving harddisk. But if 2 harddisk are down hehehe too bad it's gone, but.... you still can salvage your data from companies which does data recovery services for RAID arrays.

But having said all, RAID is just hardware redundancy, it does NOT protect your from data corruption.
    Last edited by jusnapit; 20th December 2007 at 01:45 PM.

usb transfer might be slow for u . look for firewire type

[QUOTE=Oly5050;3638319]I have a bigger problem. My root drive, c is so full, and everyday, I get a low disk space message and have to compress and delete some files. I am like down to a few hundred free megabytes. I have tried to go and remove as much programs as I could, but it still does not solve the problem. I have also moved all my stuff in the My Documents and other My folders away. Checking my directory, I realized that a lot of space is taken up by stuff in the windows folder and My Documents folder. But all of them look alien to me and dun look like files that I can move. Is there some program out there that can help me easiliy clear my c drive without me screwing up my PC, and without having to do a reformat and windows install?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    clear your system. reformat everything.
    That is exactly what I am hoping not to do. Isn't there any other way???
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

That is exactly what I am hoping not to do. Isn't there any other way???
    Try CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/. If you have any email client eg Outlook Express, also try compact the folders.

I need to get an ext HDD of at least 1TB.
    please recommend what brand to buy.
    and to RAID or not RAID?i need reliability as i really cant afford to lose all my raw pics.
    TIA for any advise.
    consider this: http://www.drobo.com/
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    I have a bigger problem. My root drive, c is so full, and everyday, I get a low disk space message and have to compress and delete some files. I am like down to a few hundred free megabytes. I have tried to go and remove as much programs as I could, but it still does not solve the problem. I have also moved all my stuff in the My Documents and other My folders away. Checking my directory, I realized that a lot of space is taken up by stuff in the windows folder and My Documents folder. But all of them look alien to me and dun look like files that I can move. Is there some program out there that can help me easiliy clear my c drive without me screwing up my PC, and without having to do a reformat and windows install?
    buy a new drive, use HDD cloning tools like Acronis True Image to clone the data from the old HDD to the newer, bigger HDD.

for the time being, you can remove the Hotfix/update/Sp uninstall folder, they are in blue naming folder which indicate compressed NTFS files.

also, check how much the space System Restore had used. adjust it accordingly, personally, i allocate only minimal.

you can also try finding what junk is taking all the space by running treeesize.

i'm not very computer literate and have no idea on the execution part (exactly how to do part) of RAID and networking. so far are using dual-bay sata external hdd casing running by firewire/usb to computer to do multiple backups on different hdd using syncback to synchronise, i.e. everything i do to the computer, the changes will be made to the external hdd when i synchronise.

can experts here suggest if there is better way of doing things apart from RAID and networking that require some technical knowledge? or is what i'm doing so far the safest for computer illiterates?

yah, i saw the price of 1TB terastation. $1200...
    1TB hdd without casing runs at about $500
    500GB hdd cost abt <$200 each. looks like the most cost-effective at the moment to have 2x500GB.

the beauty of buying a ready made RAID system from a vendor is that it comes ready to be used out of the packaging (well it should be...once everything is plugged into the right space)... it is as if you are copying your files onto 1 harddrive instead of multiple harddrives... and *touch wood* if anything happens, just go to the vendor support to have the RAID system rebuilt by replacing the malfunctioning drive/s... so it should be ok for any level of user... not as flexible or powerful as a DIY RAID or file server as some have suggested, but less hassle

thanks for all guidance...

i think i will get 4 x 500GB.
    still eventually cheaper than the buffalo/cow system.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoDog View Post
    Try CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/. If you have any email client eg Outlook Express, also try compact the folders.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtlim View Post
    buy a new drive, use HDD cloning tools like Acronis True Image to clone the data from the old HDD to the newer, bigger HDD.

for the time being, you can remove the Hotfix/update/Sp uninstall folder, they are in blue naming folder which indicate compressed NTFS files.

also, check how much the space System Restore had used. adjust it accordingly, personally, i allocate only minimal.

you can also try finding what junk is taking all the space by running treeesize.

Thanks so much. I have run CCleaner and Hotfix and also did the system restore thingy. Now at least the fire is under control . Now I have about 900 MB free in C drive which is way better than the 100 MB that it used to be. However, I still have one question. I notice that the biggest culprit in taking up space is actually in the folder called "My Documents and Settings". I looked into it, and there are 3 main folders in there. One is called "Administrator", "Owner", "All users", and Administrator.ValuedXXXX". All the others look OK except for "Owner" which has more than 4GB in it.

Inside this "Owner" folder, "Local settings" has 2.7 GB, and "My Documents" has 1.3 GB. The way I see it, is there anyway I can reduce the amount of stuff in local settings? Why is it so high?? When I checked it most of it is actually in "Application Data" which is a hidden file. Can something be done there?
    Last edited by Oly5050; 21st December 2007 at 11:27 AM.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

OK, I managed to find the culprit. Within that folder, I found out that it was Google and Picasa 2 that took up so much space. I guess I gotta now reinstall it in another drive. Thanks so much for helping me get through this!! You guys are great!!

Oh No, I was wrong. I had installed picasa in D. There is no program in C. Seems like picasa is by default putting some stuff in the C drive. Most of it is in a "db2" folder which contains all the album data, etc etc. How can I move this to D so that picasa will stop putting stuff in my C drive?

With the HDD industry for about 20 years in quality and reliability. Most HDD will start to see problem after 2~3 yrs, especially the way we use it. Sometime it got nothing to do with disk damage, but microscopic debris build up in the read/write head causing it to become weak. Other than HDD, suggest you get a high speed / high capacity tape backup system, each tape is in many TB (1000GB). All big organisation use high speed tape system as their backup. Since you have a lot of dry cabi capacity, the tape can be kept there to prevent fungus. Tape or HDD, there be no quality different for you picture stored as both stored the information in 1 and 0. In long run tape can be cheaper because you need one system and many tapes.

As suggest by the others, the safest HDD system will be RAID 5. The alternative is to use tape backup as stated above.

but do remember to copy your files to multiple HDDs for security...

tape...... Will gaffer work?!?!

Jokes aside. Just go to Convergent/Storage Studio/Bizgram and get them to make you a system. Or just get something enterprise standard for a peace of mind.

Currently doing Manual RAID 1

vince123123
    Guests

If you want cheap, thats the way to go. I have about 3-4TB on my system and can emphatise with yoru raw file problem.

I bought a cost effective 8 HDD tower, plugged with USB2 and added 4x500TB to it; with space for 4 more in the future.

I do have a question on RAID which no one can really answer to date. If I run a RAID 5 system, presumably when one goes down, I can use the rest to rebuilt.

The question is, do I need to replace the downed disk with another of identical model/brand/size etc? SOme told me that you need to; others say no need. THen I asked those who said need, what if it fails 2-3 years later and by that time I can't find that same model? ANd they tell me, to stock up in advance - that sounds like a weird way of doing things.

Any advice on RAID? RIght now I'm running without raid, and my system is to periodically refresh the data onto new HDDs every 1-2 years (from 120 + 160 + 200 to 4x300s and now 4x500s); with older HDDs handling dynamic data (e.g. downloads etc).

vince123123
    Guests

I once considered tape, but a tape drive costs a lot of money right? The cheapest I saw only accepts a few hundred GB per tape, which is kinda sucky considering I have 500GB drives now.

Quote Originally Posted by rvxing View Post
    With the HDD industry for about 20 years in quality and reliability. Most HDD will start to see problem after 2~3 yrs, especially the way we use it. Sometime it got nothing to do with disk damage, but microscopic debris build up in the read/write head causing it to become weak. Other than HDD, suggest you get a high speed / high capacity tape backup system, each tape is in many TB (1000GB). All big organisation use high speed tape system as their backup. Since you have a lot of dry cabi capacity, the tape can be kept there to prevent fungus. Tape or HDD, there be no quality different for you picture stored as both stored the information in 1 and 0. In long run tape can be cheaper because you need one system and many tapes.

As suggest by the others, the safest HDD system will be RAID 5. The alternative is to use tape backup as stated above.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast