Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Happen if U're Sick and Cannot Shoot on the AD?

Default Re: What Happen if U're Sick and Cannot Shoot on the AD?

Quote Originally Posted by mo2 View Post

Pardon my bragging, but i do have some stories to tell at coffee shops when i turn 60 in 20 years time... By then i intend to start an old folks home for elderly photographers .....

regards,
    Albert Chua
    I'm printing coffeetable books for photographers, can also make some money teaching business courses to photographers. Can also JV to start an old folks home for elderly photographers. Wahh! b-tang, huat-ah.
    just1book, no kidding!

Guess Why I'm Still Awake ...... WPAS matters ...

WPAS MATTERS TO ALL WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHERS !!

Hey Winsonapm .... You still awake ....

I'm thinking hard how we can muster the tasks of asking sponsors for money ...

PPAS was sponsored 50k in the past, We need even more now because of inflation & escalating costs even for running the main launch.

You think any Venture Capitalist may be interested ...

We need money to run the show even in near future ...

I also stressed out as we are trying to move as quickly before the flame dies out.

It's easy to say but very hard to do ...

not easy as now yr ends, alot of shoots.......
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Hello david .... 'Selamat Hari Raya Haji' .... Go Tido already as tmrw have to fight another war ...

Hey Winsonapm .... You still awake ....

I'm thinking hard how we can muster the tasks of asking sponsors for money ...

PPAS was sponsored 50k in the past, We need even more now because of inflation & escalating costs even for running the main launch.

You think any Venture Capitalist may be interested ...

We need money to run the show even in near future ...

I also stressed out as we are trying to move as quickly before the flame dies out.

It's easy to say but very hard to do ...
    VC is only interested in high growth companies with IPO potential. Non profit organisations only spend money and no dividend. Sounds like a bad investment?
    Sponsorship, ad revenue and membership's dues would be the only income, and can be channeled into member's activities and welfare.

I feel the team had done a great job so far, don't be to excited, it takes time. With more wedding photographers and allied trades coming forward, it's really happening.
    just1book, no kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel1 View Post
    Are you trying to suggest that if I fly budget airline, there's no guarantee I'm arrive at my destination? or get lousy food at foodcourt? This argument is so lame.
    No, if you fly budget airline, you will have your legs cramped out with frumpy services and stale food. If you eat at food court, you have to bring the food to your own table with disposable utensils.

Of course it all depends on what you want/need. Nobody needs world class service, but most people will appreciate having them.

I can appreciate the cost of running a business. Value of service.
    If a photographer quote me $888 for my AD and include a coffee table book and 300 4R and album. I think it's pretty standard out there in the market, thou I like another guy who quote me $1388.
    Yikes! If that is the "standard" price, I am happy not working in Singapore. Think about it:

1 full day of shooting, followed by countless hours of PP, selection, showing of proofs, putting a coffee table book together creatively, and manually inserting 300 4R prints in an album... all for $888 to $1388????? And not including that the cost of equipment is already in the region of USD10k, plus insurance etc....

Looking at their portfolio, both have very good work, same offerings and hard to tell who's better. Im happier saving $500, and I expect him to turn up on my big day, if otherwise, I would not have engage him or be bother with fine prints that suggest otherwise. Any contract that suggest that for this lower price, do expect substandard service and lower quality? Think about it.
    Actually, yes. Lower price with the sane offering sounds too good to be true. And it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    The opposite situation can easily apply:

Photographer cancel, couple can't find anyone and lost memories.

Couple cancel, photographer can still look for another job which requires a photographer at short notice.

Doesn't it work both ways?
    Sure it applies, but which is more applicable? Looking for service provider who takes your money or looking for clients who pays you money?

This is a good approach, the concept of mutuality - unfortunately, some views here expressed are intended only to protect one side. Hopefully the other side knows how to negotiate the same way you do; or else another singaporebrides story will emerge
    Normally, it is always the paying party who comes out with problem.

Hello Angel1 ....

I Say ..... Good Luck to both the couples & photographers...

Imagine buying food off the streets from illegal hawkers and getting stomach upset...

If mild diarrhea then lucky, if food poisoning then god be with you, you have my sympathy.

There's also such a thing as the wrong couple for the photographer, so rather ask them find someone else...

If you really find the $888 photog as mentioned with 300 4R prints & coffee table book, do ask him to contact us as to how to make another $500 more...

I say what i say as i may not be the best but with 20 years experience shooting professionally, i can safely say 'No Good, Dont Pay' BUT come to me if you have the budget or really require a professional to do the job...

Better yet, let someone else find out which photographer infringe my copyright and i can AGAIN sue that poor chap another 15k ....

regards,
    Albert Chua

ROFLMAO!!!

Quote & Requote:

One day i want to be worth $500 an hour for a wedding job ... Hee Hee....

Serious !!! Pardon me & no offence to some i know....
    Hey, are you Albert from JMP time? If so, I know you!

Hi randy,
    Nope, me not from JMP Time, me formerly from Straits Times Press 'Singapore'

Do drop me a line to chat ... Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    From a business standpoint, they've engaged you to shoot a wedding and you falling sick is simply not their problem.
    Yes, it is. I would not want a sick photographer to shoot my wedding because
    1) His performance would be impaired.
    2) I don't want him to spread his virus to my friends, relatives and myself, esp. since most couples go off for their honeymoon after their wedding, I wouldn't want to fall sick!

As you said, you have competent colleagues. I would much rather have one of your competent colleagues take over your job than have competentancy-compromised sick you do it.

Maybe you should rethink your policy about whether it is really better for you to shoot a wedding although sick, than find a suitable replacement. I suppose it would be good to let the client know that you are sick and give them the choice of whether they still want you to shoot or would they rather pass the assignment to your colleague.

Just my $0.02... no offence, ok?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Your 2 cents worth more than it is ...

Totally agree with you...

In my contract to clients, i state...

"That in the event of unforseen circumstances, the photographer is unable to do wedding shoot. Another photographer will be assigned in faith of similar results"

As mentioned "In faith of similar results" i have my kakis whom are not too far off from my own style. But i'll still provide a little discount to be fair to couples.

Happened only twice...
    When i was limping due to car accident and when my granny passed away.

Just double checked my contract for couples, i missed out one word ...

"That in the event of unforseen circumstances, the photographer is unable to do wedding shoot. Another photographer will be assigned in good faith of similar results"

There's suppose to be a trust factor from the start when customers hire our services, otherwise why even pay premium.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Yes, it is. I would not want a sick photographer to shoot my wedding because
    1) His performance would be impaired.
    2) I don't want him to spread his virus to my friends, relatives and myself, esp. since most couples go off for their honeymoon after their wedding, I wouldn't want to fall sick!

As you said, you have competent colleagues. I would much rather have one of your competent colleagues take over your job than have competentancy-compromised sick you do it.

Maybe you should rethink your policy about whether it is really better for you to shoot a wedding although sick, than find a suitable replacement. I suppose it would be good to let the client know that you are sick and give them the choice of whether they still want you to shoot or would they rather pass the assignment to your colleague.

Just my $0.02... no offence, ok?
    None taken. I was later informed by my client, that my images look better when i'm drowning in paracetamol. Interesting, but that has been the one and only time so far.

BTW, they didn't even know i was ill till after the wedding day. Nobody else got sent to the doctors, and i wasn't coughing and sneezing like a walking cesspool of airborne bacteria.

Nevertheless, i know my limits and won't hesitate to activate the backup should the need arise.

vince123123
    Guests

I'll say that both are equally applicable. However, if you view it only from one side, of course one is more applicable than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by randytay View Post
    Sure it applies, but which is more applicable? Looking for service provider who takes your money or looking for clients who pays you money?
    Normally, it is the party who is aggrieved who comes out with the problems. And it is usually the person in a weaker bargaining position.

In your case, it could be you feel it is the paying party because you already accepted the money beforehand in accordance with your usual practices.

If you do the job without accepting the money beforehand, I'll think it is now the receiving party who comes with the problem.

Normally, it is always the paying party who comes out with problem.

If you do the job without accepting the money beforehand, I'll think it is now the receiving party who comes with the problem.
    From a business point of view, I do not think anyone (and it is not restricted to photogs) will do it so my statement still hold.

Anyway, you have a habit of singling me out to argue with

vince123123
    Guests

Actually, I think if you look at many other industries, goods on credit or services on credit are rather common. Perhaps you need to see things from another angle instead of solely your own.

Your statement will only hold in your particular situation and based on your particular business practice, because the person with all the cards and nothing to lose, will not find any problems with anything. Your original statement had no such limitation to your business practice or your own experiences and hence, one can only interpret it as a broad statement.

I do not single any particular person to engage in discussions with - do a search on my posts and let me know if you see an overwhelming number of posts solely related to you.

From a business point of view, I do not think anyone (and it is not restricted to photogs) will do it so my statement still hold.

Anyway, you have a habit of singling me out to argue with
    Last edited by vince123123; 21st December 2007 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    can always come to clubsnap, you want how many? can get how many, so many photographers here love to shoot weddings...
    some shoot free too!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast