Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

  1. #1

    Default Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    I am looking at photographing sculptures and art.The closest equivalent lighting situation would be that of Sistine Chapel in Italy and in terms of reach ( roof ). Is Canon 70-200L IS USM a good choice ? If so, which would be a better option, f2.8 or f4 ?
    For those who own f2.8 ,can advise if the lens too heavy to lug around for travel ? Advice is greatly appreciated.Done a search and can't find any photos of Sistine with photo info.
    Last edited by Old Boy; 17th December 2007 at 12:20 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    I've been to the Sistine Chapel and it can be quite dark there... so the faster the lens... the better... and lug a tripod along too. Even St. Peter's Basilica is pretty dark... so grab your fast lenses and tripod. A f4 lens would not be sufficient if taking pictures hand-held. I wished I had the gear I have now when I went to the Vatican City, but well... maybe I'll go back there another day...

    Enjoy your trip! I love Italy!
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    I've been to the Sistine Chapel and it can be quite dark there... so the faster the lens... the better... and lug a tripod along too. Even St. Peter's Basilica is pretty dark... so grab your fast lenses and tripod. A f4 lens would not be sufficient if taking pictures hand-held. I wished I had the gear I have now when I went to the Vatican City, but well... maybe I'll go back there another day...

    Enjoy your trip! I love Italy!
    Thank you very much for your advice. Is f2.8 still too small ? Do you think aperture of lower than this is needed eg f1.4 ? But then have to compromise on range.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Thank you very much for your advice. Is f2.8 still too small ? Do you think aperture of lower than this is needed eg f1.4 ? But then have to compromise on range.
    For still life photography, recommend to use a tripod. To get sharper quality, you should be using small aperture like f8 or smaller. So use a tripod and slow exposure for better shots.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  5. #5

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    I've been to the Sistine Chapel and it can be quite dark there... so the faster the lens... the better... and lug a tripod along too. Even St. Peter's Basilica is pretty dark... so grab your fast lenses and tripod. A f4 lens would not be sufficient if taking pictures hand-held. I wished I had the gear I have now when I went to the Vatican City, but well... maybe I'll go back there another day...

    Enjoy your trip! I love Italy!
    Is it allowed to use tripod there?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Is it allowed to use tripod there?
    The last time I went there I had to check in my tripod to their deposit counter before I was allowed in. And we were told that photography is not allowed inside the Sistine Chapel. But it is still possible to snatch a few photos when the guards are not watching, but definitely no flash. In fact in most museum or art galleries, flash is not allowed to protect the artworks.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  7. #7
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Thank you very much for your advice. Is f2.8 still too small ? Do you think aperture of lower than this is needed eg f1.4 ? But then have to compromise on range.
    I would personally find that f/2.8 is still too small... and a f/1.8 would be better for this case. Most of Vatican City is lighted enough to take pictures without a fast lens, but it is in places like the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica that it becomes too dark. Yes, you would compromise the range, and that is where the tripod comes in. You can set up the tripod to take some shots... but the only problem you'll face is the crowd. Not sure when you are going, but I was there last June and there were just so many people! In a lot of these historical places, they do not allow flash photography, so a fast lens + tripod set up would be important.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  8. #8
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    The last time I went there I had to check in my tripod to their deposit counter before I was allowed in. And we were told that photography is not allowed inside the Sistine Chapel. But it is still possible to snatch a few photos when the guards are not watching, but definitely no flash. In fact in most museum or art galleries, flash is not allowed to protect the artworks.
    Yep... photography is not allowed in the Sistine Chapel... but saw many people sneaking shots I went on my trip armed with a IXUS 55... needless to say... I gave up trying to take pictures in dimly lit places... hehe...

    Looks like to sneak a quick shot... this would be a job for a D3???
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Yep... photography is not allowed in the Sistine Chapel... but saw many people sneaking shots I went on my trip armed with a IXUS 55... needless to say... I gave up trying to take pictures in dimly lit places... hehe...

    Looks like to sneak a quick shot... this would be a job for a D3???
    I also never bother to take any picture inside the Sistine Chapel. Instead I bought a photo book/guide of the Vatican City at the gift shop. Maybe I was using film at that time, and I know I'll be wasting a lot of film given the poor phototaking condition
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Ahhh.... the Sistine chapel.... walked for miles in the Vatican City before finally arriving there. Anyway, photography is not allowed in the chapel so tripods and flash is deifnatley a no no. I only had my p&s at that time so I set the timer on and left it on the floor.

    I think 70mm (or anything above) might not be a good idea as the you might not be able to take the whole 'painting'. I would go for 50mm or less.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

  11. #11
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Anyway... when you finish the Sistine Chapel, you would likely go to St. Peter's Basilica... and you can take pictures there... and there are lots of statues and other paintings there. Of course you won't see the body of St. Peter, but there is an enclosure with the body of a dead saint that you can see *spooky*
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    The bottom line is, if u're not under very low lighting then f/4 will suffice, else get a tripod intead. By the way f/2.8 and f/4 is just a stop more so it wouldn't help a lot too.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Sneak job with the giant size D3?????

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Looks like to sneak a quick shot... this would be a job for a D3???

  14. #14

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Thanks for all the replies. I think f2.8 is too small too. Fortunately come here to seek advice, else may be disappointed. Looks like I have to get prime lens.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I think f2.8 is too small too. Fortunately come here to seek advice, else may be disappointed. Looks like I have to get prime lens.
    For primes, u may want to consider 50 or 85 f/1.2, 35 or 24 f/1.4, or tele ones such as 300 f/4 or 400 f/5.6
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    For primes, u may want to consider 50 or 85 f/1.2, 35 or 24 f/1.4, or tele ones such as 300 f/4 or 400 f/5.6
    300?? 400?? I think that may be a bit too long for indoor usage, especially when on tour.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    300?? 400?? I think that may be a bit too long for indoor usage, especially when on tour.
    It depends what u want to frame inside. Those tele lenses can be great for getting some tele portraits and capture some candid moments. If not, u can try the 200mm f/2.8L II.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •