Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Just decided on the Oly E-510

  1. #1

    Default Just decided on the Oly E-510

    My First Post!
    "hello world"
    haha....

    Anyway was cracking my head for the longest time deciding between this and the D80.
    Was also considering upping budget to get the 40D.
    In the end I went for the E-510! Hope I made the right decision!

    Anyway I put the order thru amazon, so won't be getting it anytime soon.

    What are ur guys experience with olympus?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Hello! welcome to clubsnap and to the 4/3 community!

    wow, why did you order from amazon? Better deal than singapore? or you don't stay in singapore.

    well choosing the Olympus could not have been a wrong choice, i was an ex E-510 user as well and its really good.

    i don't have to worry about dust on the sensor with the SSWF in place, and the zuiko kit lens are really nice and sharp.

    great for travelling as its lightweight also!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Yeap... better deal... but without the promo now of the lowerpro bag and all that...

    think when u convert its less than 1k for the two lens kit.
    What caught me was the anti shake! just in case ure in a moving vehicle and need to capture something... dunno... its always good to have just in case...
    or when ure out and faced with a low light condition without a tripod...

    And also i think i read about the kit lens being quite good quality when compared to the rest.
    Guess it would be a good start for me... its like 15 years since i used film slr for 6 mths stint as a junior journalist...
    haha... so now tot will just indulged into the hobby once again!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Great camera. No camera in its size class and price range can beat it in terms of its features and functionality. U will love it, and then fall in love with Olympus...and next thing u know...u are buying even more of the system.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Olympus - I'm lovin' it...

    You'll like the camera, have a good week ahead!!
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

  6. #6
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Hoho. Congrats on your new purchase, You will never regret! The kit lenses are just, superb. It is sooooo light, but still delivers. Do join us in the FourThirds forum!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Hey thanks for the welcome man!
    Was thinking since i was getting from amazon i'll check out the cf cards there as well...

    What is the speed for the cf that is recommended for this camera? Does it matter transcend 133x or 266x?

    Saw the 16GB going for like 129USD for 133x....
    What do u guys use for the e510?

  8. #8
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Quote Originally Posted by owen27 View Post
    Hey thanks for the welcome man!
    Was thinking since i was getting from amazon i'll check out the cf cards there as well...

    What is the speed for the cf that is recommended for this camera? Does it matter transcend 133x or 266x?

    Saw the 16GB going for like 129USD for 133x....
    What do u guys use for the e510?
    CF card? If you not shooting like machine gun, or like reporter, can get those normal ones. If you have budget, of course you can go for the better ones.

    I personally use Kingston normal and elite pro.

    Maybe can get Sandisk Ultra II/Extreme III

  9. #9

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    What's the general pricing for like 8Gb and 16Gb?Mebbe should go check out simlim or funan one of these days

    Thanks for the advice... hehe... cant wait to receive it!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    You've already bought the Oly system, congrats! Personally I've the first digicam experience with it around 8yrs back with the c220, 3040, E-10 E-20 it was great. But then the newer DSLRs are mediocre though too noisy for my taste, definitely not to shoot serious events. Otherwise, it's a capable for consumers except the new E3, etc. Great cam for those starting out.

  11. #11
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Quote Originally Posted by owen27 View Post
    What's the general pricing for like 8Gb and 16Gb?Mebbe should go check out simlim or funan one of these days
    Quote Originally Posted by owen27 View Post
    What is the speed for the cf that is recommended for this camera? Does it matter transcend 133x or 266x?

    Saw the 16GB going for like 129USD for 133x....
    What do u guys use for the e510?
    Quote Originally Posted by owen27 View Post
    Anyway I put the order thru amazon, so won't be getting it anytime soon.
    Hi Owen27,

    For 8gb Kingston 133x is abt $136-$138. 16gb Kingston 133x is $266-$268.

    The E-510 camera cannot read & write at 266x, only some of the newer camera & pro cameras can. So it doesn't matter whether you use 133x or 266x, should be the same speed.

    Local price is quite cheap, we guys here wonder how come you'll order from Amazon instead.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    Hi Owen27,

    For 8gb Kingston 133x is abt $136-$138. 16gb Kingston 133x is $266-$268.

    The E-510 camera cannot read & write at 266x, only some of the newer camera & pro cameras can. So it doesn't matter whether you use 133x or 266x, should be the same speed.

    Local price is quite cheap, we guys here wonder how come you'll order from Amazon instead.
    Oh... was just wondering... will go check simlim or funan...
    Cause the camera i just placed an order thru amazon so i tot i'd just get the card as well..

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,406

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Quote Originally Posted by owen27 View Post
    Oh... was just wondering... will go check simlim or funan...
    Cause the camera i just placed an order thru amazon so i tot i'd just get the card as well..
    Try looking for the CF cards from Sim Lim.. Currently i'm using a 4GB Transend CF card. Works well too and its cheap.. bought from Orient Photo.. can take a look there.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Try looking for the CF cards from Sim Lim.. Currently i'm using a 4GB Transend CF card. Works well too and its cheap.. bought from Orient Photo.. can take a look there.
    I was using the Transend 4GB 120X CF card. It is slow. Compared to the Sandisk Extreme 4, it takes 3 times the time to write images to the card on my 1DMII.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    I was using the Transend 4GB 120X CF card. It is slow. Compared to the Sandisk Extreme 4, it takes 3 times the time to write images to the card on my 1DMII.
    Performance of Transend 4GB 120X CF card on a E-510 is different from 1DMII. What's the point of getting the Sandisk Extreme 4 when the camera cannot realise the full potential of this card?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Sandisk Ultra II is "only" 60x, yet few cameras today can write at 9MB/s (sequential). Of course faster cards have faster random write speed.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    extreme III good enough for e510..or try kingston elitr pro S2 (133x)..4 gb at 62.50. very good value...and for order online...yes, it is cheaper in US...around USD500 can get a e510 body.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Okies... Thanks for the advices...

    I got a sandisk ultra2 8Gb today from funan..
    Another advice i need is on an additional second battery...
    Any idea which one is good? or is original olympus better?
    Where can i get them?

    Thanks guys!

  19. #19
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    I will recommend you to get the original Olympus battery. Although it is much more expensive, I rather not risk. But I heard Eastgear ones are not too bad. Some 3rd party batteries are actually quite alright. If you have $$ to spare, get original.

  20. #20
    Senior Member egnaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay, Singapore
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: Just decided on the Oly E-510

    Quote Originally Posted by owen27 View Post
    My First Post!
    "hello world"
    haha....

    Anyway was cracking my head for the longest time deciding between this and the D80.
    Was also considering upping budget to get the 40D.
    In the end I went for the E-510! Hope I made the right decision!

    Anyway I put the order thru amazon, so won't be getting it anytime soon.

    What are ur guys experience with olympus?

    Hi,

    Wondering how is your new exprerience with your new oly E510, like wise I also condering E510 and Nikon D80...

    Hmm... i may go for E510, hope it is a right choice to make.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •