Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55

Thread: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

  1. #41

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by conquer500 View Post
    and what happen if after collecting the 50% the photographer fails to turn up during the AD.
    Then the photographer is done for.

  2. #42

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by conquer500 View Post
    and what happen if after collecting the 50% the photographer fails to turn up during the AD.
    well, if you worry that your photographer doesn't turn up, get someone reputable. I think there is much more to lose when ur reputation goes down the drain, than to run away with the 50%. There's always a $ vs peace of mind tradeoff.

    Thats what goes into the charges as well. Reputation, reliability, skill, consistent delivery. Most of us spend years to build up a good reputation, and it only takes one case to ruin it all.

  3. #43
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by conquer500 View Post
    and what happen if after collecting the 50% the photographer fails to turn up during the AD.
    whether the photographer collect $1.00 or 100% as retainer fee/booking fee/deposit, there is not much different in between if he fails to turn up during for the shoot.

    if he is not serious enough the take up the job, better go and find other things to shoot..
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Compassvale H
    Posts
    1,025

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by conquer500 View Post
    and what happen if after collecting the 50% the photographer fails to turn up during the AD.
    That certainly will not happened if you're doing it full time. If we can't make it on that particular day with valid reason then our reputable downline will take over.
    We are actually talking abt customer not paying and cancelling.

    Quote Originally Posted by darrelchia View Post
    well, if you worry that your photographer doesn't turn up, get someone reputable. I think there is much more to lose when ur reputation goes down the drain, than to run away with the 50%. There's always a $ vs peace of mind tradeoff.

    Thats what goes into the charges as well. Reputation, reliability, skill, consistent delivery. Most of us spend years to build up a good reputation, and it only takes one case to ruin it all.
    It's true! Indeed, we don't want our face on the front page of the newspaper.
    It's very easy for customer to do that, juz call the press.

  5. #45

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by slaam View Post
    i like this phrase haha
    yeah i think if you follow catchlight's advice (follow wat the bridal ppl do) u are unlikely to be caught in a losing end.
    if ur client complains u can cite the bridal studios' e.g. as the industry standard.
    and explain that u have encountered losses before and the amount is not to 'cheat' them or get more cash out but to pay for ur losses in event of cancellation.
    if u were not using hard sell tactics I dun see why any client would refuse to sign up in the end..

    that being said.. jus being kaypoh are the cancellation due to the wedding being cancelled? or ur services being rejected?
    if its the former yeah i think hard to chase for more money. even though they were at fault..
    Put yourself in the couple's shoes, would you pay upfront the full amount to a photographer? Unlike the bridal shop who have a shopfront? Personally, I think I can accept between 10-30% if I don't know the photog personally, or if they are not "branded". If I know them or if they are branded/well-known maybe 50%.
    CS says, "We can't help you ignore yourself."

  6. #46

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    Put yourself in the couple's shoes, would you pay upfront the full amount to a photographer? Unlike the bridal shop who have a shopfront? Personally, I think I can accept between 10-30% if I don't know the photog personally, or if they are not "branded". If I know them or if they are branded/well-known maybe 50%.
    Just curious, would you say that the shop is more trustworthy because it has a shop fronts, or because it is a registered business ? just wanna find out whats the opinion on the street.

  7. #47

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by artbox View Post
    They don't even have a courtesy to reply when I contacted them via sms, email call not pick up....
    They are really cowards to avoid you like that. Be it unfortunate event, financial problem, or simply don't like your service, they should at least let you know about it.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Compassvale H
    Posts
    1,025

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by bLight View Post
    They are really cowards to avoid you like that. Be it unfortunate event, financial problem, or simply don't like your service, they should at least let you know about it.
    Hmm.. the reason I contacted them is:
    1: For payment if I can get
    2: Reason why..cause if one of them died, or seriously ill then I will refund the deposit. case by case.

    Well, I guess they don't care, so I may take other action to make known or make them wake up. Legal!
    Last edited by artbox; 18th December 2007 at 08:17 PM.

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Compassvale H
    Posts
    1,025

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by darrelchia View Post
    Just curious, would you say that the shop is more trustworthy because it has a shop fronts, or because it is a registered business ? just wanna find out whats the opinion on the street.
    Mine is registered.

  10. #50
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    i collect a non refundable 50% upon confirmation of job, and 50% ON or BEFORE the wedding.

    i've had no problems with that arrangement.

    i've never not turned up at a wedding.

    i've shot almost 200 weddings to date.

    i have a registered business and a registered business address/shopfront/studio/gallery.


  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Then you must follow joho sample,then you're safe.No need to worry about whether they want to come or don't want to come.

  12. #52
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Then you must follow joho sample,then you're safe.No need to worry about whether they want to come or don't want to come.
    well, follow or not doesn't matter, whatever works for the photographer and couple.

  13. #53
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    i dun think i directly answered the question of this thread so here it is:

    the 50% deposit is non refundable, so it will be a day of rest for me but being paid for it, unless a super last minute booking comes in. then again, be mindful that since i have already accepted the deposit, i am STILL liable to shoot the wedding should they "uncancel" it, so technically i shouldn't be taking another job.

    MORE IMPORTANTLY, i will be informing my fellow photographer friends/associates who are shooting on the day that i'm available, in case they are sick/dying and need a replacement, or if they need urgent delivery of anything, from panadol to a 1d3. i always talk to my peers to have an indication of who's available to cover in case of disaster. i meet my peers on a weekly basis, and have a strong support group for one another.

    in other words, it would be a cold day in hell if anyone of us ever breaks the contract by not attending and finding a replacement. that's the kind of support we give each other.

    so if i was cancelled, i would be very happy to provide such support if need be.

    i've even offered to do an express for another photographer who could only finish at 3pm and needed to be at the banquet at 6pm by picking up his flash cards before hand and get a head start on the processing. fortunately the customers decided not to PAY for such express services and it was not needed.

    but, just an example of the support we can give each other when we are not shooting.

    heck, MIAN QIANG i can even support videographers.

  14. #54
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    I think Joho's views are reasonable and prudent on the part of a professional photographer - especially the paragraph on not taking on another assignment even if someone cancels. That is a good industry practice to take

    I do note however that if someone cancels, legally speaking, once you accept that he has cancelled and notified him of your acceptance, he will not really be able to "uncancel" anymore. Of course it is good customer service to keep your date open just in case he really uncancels. However, if a last minute S$1million job comes in, I think you can safely take the risk and accept the second job on a balance of risks.

  15. #55

    Default Re: What can we do if customer cancelled job 1 week B4 wedding?

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan26 View Post
    hi... i need a photographer for my AD wedding ...pls contact me AT 91061602
    somehow, this thread seems most inappropriate for your request. perhaps you'd like to start another one in Services Offered/Wanted?
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •