Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your first impression of this picture?

Default Re: Your first impression of this picture?

Headfonz...

Ok, I will try that should I genna trap in the rain @ the bus stop, visible paddle of water as well as a speeding taxi that can make my pants wet.

justanut...
    Eh... Same effect bah... minus the window part. Somehow or rather, that picture shows that the truck is speeding sia...

A nice article on panning can be found here

I think it'll take some practice to do it right... I for one can't seem to pan at the correct speed... >..<
    Sony NEX 6 16-50 35/1.8 55-210 /w Metabones Speed Booster + EF35L EF135L
    Capturing the Moment

Shoot it when it's nearer to u? Make the splash feel more closer... As tho the viewer felt that he has been splashed? But it's quite dangerous to do that... Haha...
    Clear Vision, Swift Action, Good Results.
    imouyang.multiply.com/photos

Quote Originally Posted by justanut View Post
    Not exactly panning in this case... the road was simply moving too fast for you to catch at that shuttle speed. Panning is done at a stationary point whereas in your case you were moving together with the subject. Similar effect i suppose? But if you were really panning, EVERYTHING else besides your subject would be a blur... ie. the bus window

Eh... just what i understand... do correct me if wrong
    i think its still considered a panning shot when shot from a moving platform such as the bus. Just like how those rigged car shots where the camera is mounted on the car and shot as the car moves giving blur to the surrounding yet maintaining the sharpest details of the car.

I would have preferred the shot to be straight in this case rather than tilted. The bottom left smear kind of spoilt the otherwise clean picture. Nonetheless its a good shot. The word ''hired'' stands out strikingly and it does tell a story too. Its a good street photograph

First impression-- it's just a car in the rain. Even with knowledge of the local context (ie it's a gas-powered taxi), it's still a mundane shot. At most, can use as a newspaper pic for illustration.

How to improve? That depends on what you want to improve. If you want sharper, better focus, etc. you may have to use a better camera, one that can focus quickly, better low-light capability, etc.

If you want to improve the picture, you've got to think about what you're trying to say in the picture. One pix may not be enough to tell a story, you may need a series of pix to tell a story of CNG vs diesel taxisl.

Quote Originally Posted by soons View Post
    I wanted to improve myself in photography. I managed to take this picture this afternoon.

One of the Singapore Latest Taxi - Natural Gas...
    Caught it speeding in rain and made my pants wet when it sped past me.

Picture is unedited, fresh from camera.
    Any comments on how to make the picture better or nicer without any editing?

I personally think there is nothing captivating about the shot commercially or artistically.
    Gloomy, not sure what is the focus, and composition is so-so.
    However, sometimes we do take pictures that capture daily humour or some uncommon scenes. I do myself too. (a lot of nonsense shots lying ard)

For the composition wise, I would think there is some unnecessary space to the left and bottom of the picture. (unless of course, you want to capture that reflection on road)
    Horizon is a bit tilted. If you want to take an artistic shot, i rather u tilt more, rather than just off-tilt by a little. Else, try to manage a horizontal shot.

If only there is no another red car with the headlamps on. It would have made the frontal cab stood out even more, making the focus subject of the picture clearer.

i think a normal PnS camera has certain white balance settings (such as cloudy, tungsten light, daylight etc..) u can play with the settings at your free time, so that next time, under different lighting conditions, you know which mode to use.

Just a few cents worth. Don't feel offended.
    Last edited by CYMON; 25th December 2007 at 10:39 PM.
    Cheers!
    Simon

I wanted to improve myself in photography. I managed to take this picture this afternoon.

(No, as mentioned in my other post, in digital age, shooting is 50% of the job done, the other half is post.)

About the image : It is slanted without a reason, therefore making the composition weird. But the exposure could have been tweaked a little more in post to bring more drama into the image. I personally feel that this is just a snapshot more than anything else.

Thanks guys for ur input.

I really appreciate all comments on this picture, may it be positive or negative! Cos I myself find the picture is missing somethings in it, therefore I am asking u guys. Do stay tuned for my other pictures that might be comin' up.

Thanks guys for ur input.

I really appreciate all comments on this picture, may it be positive or negative! Cos I myself find the picture is missing somethings in it, therefore I am asking u guys. Do stay tuned for my other pictures that might be comin' up.
    Sure. Looking forward to the new images. Make sure you start a new thread for every new picture though... or use APAD.

Am i too late ?? happen to chance upon this post.
    Here's my take...tried to do some sharpening....cropping, and a bit of rotation.
    I suppose the orange of the new taxis is a horrible colour, amended it a bit to make it less orange and hence, bring out the "coldness" of the weather and the mood.

A possible enhancement wld be to pp the other car's lights to be turned on, but i dunno how to

Haha.. this thread is very entertaining. Very educational also.

I'm a bit sua ku... so my first impression of the picture kinda brought me back to bkk... coz of the taxi's colour. Then I realised it was a local taxi coz of the number plate. Interesting.

Anyways, it's a great attempt and respect to your guts for taking out your camera under such weather. I'd probably protect my camera with whatever I could find at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleyboy View Post
    Haha.. this thread is very entertaining. Very educational also.

I'm a bit sua ku... so my first impression of the picture kinda brought me back to bkk... coz of the taxi's colour. Then I realised it was a local taxi coz of the number plate. Interesting.

Anyways, it's a great attempt and respect to your guts for taking out your camera under such weather. I'd probably protect my camera with whatever I could find at that moment.
    I was at the bus stop... sheltered. -.- FYI it is zoomed at about 10X IIRC.

hamustar:
    Ok, I admit, this picture is really CMI without editing. Next one will be a edited picture!

Once again, thanks for all comments!!

Let me join in the fun too.. kekeke

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Let me join in the fun too.. kekeke

This is a good one! Someone give the happy cabbie a gold star for good service attitude?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12